Skip to main content

Some head-scratchers

I have a bunch of thoughts swimming around my head. But since they center around things that are currently perplexing and/or bothering me, I am forgoing a "random ramblings" post title. Here goes nothing.

  • I love Joe Paterno. But I am not sure if he should keep on coaching. On the one hand, he has done so much for the school, and he really is a great, funny (at least he was when I met him about eight years ago) guy. But on the other hand, considering he is almost 84 and seems to have lost a bit of his step, shouldn't he hang it up?
  • Is there an intelligent reason that about 13 million people are still paying off last year's Christmas purchases? I saw this stat on the local news and was appalled. Other than someone's buying a car or perhaps a computer, IMHO there are no other purchases that should not have been paid off within a few months (for the record, if I get to the point where I have to carry a credit card balance, it would not be for gifts, but I am trying to consider extenuating circumstances some people may have).
  • I tend not to care so much about what others think, but when it comes to some of the mothers at my kid's school, why does it seem like high school all over again? A few weeks ago, J's teacher asked the parents to fill out a sheet about why we are thankful for our kid. Her teacher said we could decorate it, jazz it up, etc. That bothered me, and at first, I just wrote down all my thankful reasons, but then I thought that other mothers might do something fancy, and Jordan's sheet would look sad in comparison, so I colored some things in as well as added some stickers. I am not sure which is worse, that I did not want to go the extra mile or that I care what these people think. I won't even go into the Star Student crap right now.
  • If you don't want people to know personal details about your life (or question some of what you say), why would you share these things on Facebook? If you write "I've got big news" or "I can't wait to move," you should not be surprised if someone asks what is going on or assumes you are moving! At the same time, if you are so apt to share your feelings about politics, TV shows, sports teams, etc., you should not tell others to keep their thoughts to themselves.
  • I wish people would not tell me negative things about our mutual friends/relatives. If I know that Sally thinks that Lucy is full of herself, it makes it very difficult for me when Lucy asks me if I know why Sally has been so distant lately. I either have to lie and say I don't know, or I have to tell Lucy the truth, which will hurt her feelings and probably make Sally mad at me. So if you happen to be one of the few friends I have left, let's keep it that way.
  • I still don't understand why people lie about or hide their age. I no longer think of my birthday as a holiday, believe it or not (though in one week, I will be wearing "It's my birthday" pin for all to see), but I still am happy to let everyone know that I will be 39 in one week! What is the point of pretending to be younger than you are? Wouldn't you much rather have someone think you look good for your age, instead of their thinking you look kind of ragged for that age?! Maybe if you are in Hollywood, I can see it mattering, but for the rest of us? Who cares.
Now, on to something I don't struggle with, my love of football and food!

Comments

Anonymous said…
You covered some ground there...
Joe Paterno is old, not surprised people are up to their eyeballs in Xmas gift debt, fahgeddabout what others think AND about age in general. Age discrimination is out there so why acknowledge age at all?

Oh and happy birthday early!

Signed, Old Enuff 2 No Better
Facie said…
Yes, anonymous, JoePa is pretty darn old, but still love him.

I know that so many people carry cc balances, so I am not sure why that surprises me. Over the years, I have cut down my gift-giving, so it seems crazy to take a year to pay off several hundred dollars (and then rack up another 100 bucks or more in interest), but I bet those people spend 1k or more on Christmas, so not so hard to fathom, I guess.

Popular posts from this blog

What a year 2021 has been (Day 7)

I have almost no words for what happened yesterday at the Capitol. Protesting is one thing (though I truly think it is and has been time to move on). But to storm the Capitol? A friend on Facebook said, quite simply, " Almost 20 years ago a group of people on an airplane sacrificed themselves to protect the Capitol. How far we have fallen!" Indeed. And, yes, it IS storming the Capitol. I have seen numerous videos of people knocking down barricades/fences, pushing police officers, and breaking windows and climbing through them. That is beyond protesting. And even if a protestor did not do those things, if they followed those seditionists past those barricades and into the building, they are just as guilty. I did not support the violent protests this summer that resulted in damages to businesses and public property (I was in full support of the actual protests). But I also acknowledged as a white person, I cannot truly put myself in the position of a black person who is angry a

Melancholy and Gratitude

 A few days ago, I decided to do gratitude posts on FB. I was good the first two days. Day 3 I got a little snarky as I posted about "doing the right thing" in regards to Covid. The Covid cases in Allegheny County have been on the rise. For a while, we had daily counts between 50 and 100. After July 4, we saw a spike for a few weeks, and then cases were back below 100. Unfortunately, other than one "low" day this week, where "only" 288 cases were reported, we have had between 500 and 620 daily cases. Fortunately, only a few people have died this week. But of course, any death is too many. I started to keep track of cases, deaths, and hospitalizations on 6/12/20. On that day, since 3/12, Allegheny County had had 2,034 cases, 352 people had been hospitalized, and 172 people had died. On 11/19/20, the county has seen a total of 22,042 cases, 1,724 people have been hospitalized, and 465 people have died from Covid since 3/12. In just over 8 months, we have had

Hug your loved ones!

I hate to say that I am still working through my grief. I mean, in some ways I can imagine I will always be grieving. But I feel pretty confident it will get easier, and I will cry less and less. But, yeah, I guess I am still working through it. Yesterday, a thought occurred to me: I had not hugged my dad since the end of February, and that will now be the last time I ever did. I did not see him for almost three months because of COVID, and then at the end of May, he started his series of hospital visits with skilled nursing stints in between. I was always afraid to hug him then. What if I gave him COVID? And yet when my dad had really bad ICU delirium during a few different hospital stays, I fed him. If I could do that, why not hug him? So I cried a bit last night thinking about that. I am not necessarily a big hugger; I used to hate it, and then probably before Jordan was born, I got back to doing it again. Before COVID, I hugged my friends goodbye (and sometimes hello). I always wou