Skip to main content

At least I didn't have to lie!

My kid seems to be a little accident prone. A couple of years ago, Jordan fell backwards into a register, thus necessitating a trip to Children's Hospital and subsequent rants about health care. Less than two months ago, she had the mystery injury at recess. Last night, while swimming (thanks to my mother-in-law we have a six-month pool membership at a nearby hotel), Jordan said to me, "Mommy, I think I chipped my tooth." This immediately caused flashbacks to when I was about 10 and chipped my front tooth while going backwards down a water slide (yes, that was a stupid thing to do, but technically I chipped my tooth as I was turning the right way, once I realized just how dumb I was being, so I was probably more stupid doing the right thing). Anyway, I walked over to Jordan, who was clutching her mouth and crying a bit by now. I asked her to open her mouth, upon which I discovered she no longer had her top front teeth. Eek!

For a couple of seconds, I panicked, but then remembered she was seven, an age when some kids have already lost their front teeth, plus those teeth had been "wiggly" for a couple of months now. I already felt better. She, unfortunately, being quite dramatic, did not see it my way, even though she, fortunately, was in no pain. So I resorted to talking up a visit from the tooth fairy.

As you may recall, I am no fan of the tooth fairy. But because this event was a little traumatic for Jordan, I decided I could get over my disdain of the stupid farce, to try to take her mind off this incident. Luckily, we were able to find both of her teeth (one was in her hand the entire time; the kid refused to remove her hand from her mouth for about 20 minutes), and we headed home to find Jordan's (formerly my) little tooth pillow.

We put the teeth in the little pillow and placed it on her dresser, just as we had done the previous two times she lost her teeth. Even though my kid is a pretty sound sleeper, I have woken her up by kissing her, so I don't want to take any chances by putting something under her pillow. Once she was asleep, I debated if I should do something extra, perhaps even write a little note. Earlier, Jordan wondered aloud if the tooth fairy had tiny handwriting. I concluded she, in fact, does, something that helps a messy writer like I.

I decided to throw in two quarters on top of the usual dollar per tooth, and I included a tiny note with tiny handwriting that explained she was getting the quarters for loosing two teeth at once (I considered an extra dollar, but this seemed better, if not cheaper). When Jordan woke up this morning, she was quite excited to get the money and the note. And then she asked me if I wrote it.

I am a horrible liar. I am probably one of the most honest people you will ever meet. Truly. So I replied, "Do you think I did?" She smiled and said, "No."

Phew.

But I am still not a fan of the tooth fairy.

Comments

Mel said…
this made me chuckle. aw, the many ways in which we mislead our children. sounds like it all ended pretty well. maybe J can learn to whistle through the hole in her teeth!!!
Facie said…
Actually, I ended up feeling kind of guilty about further perpetuating this lie. Ugh!

Popular posts from this blog

Why do they stand up there and say that when they are just lying?

That extra-long title is courtesy of my nine-year-old and was something she uttered during "Say Yes to the Dress" on Friday evening. I watch very little reality TV, but I make an exception for this show because I like to look at the dresses. And sometimes, the stories are heart-warming. Typically at the end of the show, a snippet of a wedding is aired. In this particular show, a woman who was confined to a wheelchair was exchanging vows with her fiance. After the two of them finished, J made her comment. I asked her what she meant as I must have been on the computer while the TV was on, and she explained that because so many people just get divorced, why do they even say "as long as we both shall live"? That is tough one, kid. I tried with what I thought was a sound explanation: Most of the people who get married truly believe they will be together the rest of their lives, but sometimes it just doesn't work out. But if you don't think that you will be ...

TMI

When I refer to TMI, I am not talking about people sharing (often gross) things they probably should not. But rather sharing a friend's or a relative's personal information with a spouse or significant other. I know people who have cheated on their spouses, had abortions, have been raped or victims of domestic violence, committed (minor) criminal acts, did not disclose things to the government that they should have, suffered from various mental aliments, and who have been drug addicts or alcoholics. In most cases, I have not shared that information with Brian unless the person told me I could or I felt he needed to know for family safety issues (e.g., you have to consider who you let your children around). I am certain he would think less of some of these people if he knew things they did, so what purpose does it serve telling him? But more importantly, I want these people who confide in me to know they have my word. I can honestly say I don't think I can trust any of ...

Do you ever just want to run away...

Yesterday's post was a rant about a fairly pointless two-hour delay. For the record, if it is snowing in the morning or if it has snowed throughout the night, I am not against a delay; the road crews have a lot of ground to cover. It is unfortunate for those who still need to get to work and are left scrambling to find child care or have to go in late. But I am all about safety. It is the temps that are clearly going nowhere any time soon that do not warrant a delay, again, in my opinion. It will be cold all day today. Having another delay today, once again, seemed pointless, but I am over it. ***** I had a rough weekend, and I have debated whether I should write about it. As my mom and one of my brothers are so fond of saying (though I will be paraphrasing), "Once you put it down in writing (on paper or in an email), it will always be there. You can't take it back." For that reason, when things weigh heavily on my mind, I don't always share them in this blog....