Skip to main content

A huge valley

Although I am so very glad I won't have to suffer through dozens of political ads for at least a little while, it looks as if I will be listening to, watching, and reading the strong opinions of friends, relatives, bloggers, the media, etc., for the foreseeable future.

So many people think their way is the only way. But is it possible there is not just one right way? I can see the beauty of gray, so why can't others? Why must so many refer to those on the opposite side as crazy, extreme, out of touch, socialist, racist, greedy, idiots, morally bankrupt, gun-toting, stupid, lazy, uncaring, religiously fanatical, and smelly? I am only partly kidding about that last adjective, but I do find it sad that conservative and liberal have become "bad" words for many people.

I am neither all-knowing nor able to predict the future, so I have no idea how this will turn out. I do find it a little sad that a lot of young people who were so jazzed about the 2008 election did not bother to show up for this election. Is it because they are already disgruntled? Do they think because this was not a presidential election that it did not matter? I have no idea.

I also find it perplexing that some local people think that President Obama and the Democratic Congress have not had enough time to get things done/right the ship, but yet they seem unable to find fault with PA government, which has been led by a Democrat governor for the past eight years. Honestly, I don't know if two years is enough time for the country to change; I am no political expert. But I would think that after eight years of a suffering PA economy, which included higher taxes, surely it is time to give another party a chance. If someone smarter than I would like to tell me that I am comparing apples to turnips, I am all ears. 

A few more personal observations:

  • I am a little disturbed that both Jane Orie and Bill DeWeese won their races. But not really surprised.
  • I was, however, surprised that Dan Onorato lost the rather blue Allegheny County. Maybe the county was just feeling blue about him? Maybe people were afraid his name would be too hard to pronounce for the next four years?
  • I felt bad for President Obama while watching the first 15 minutes of his news conference yesterday (maybe it got better). Although I appreciated the reporters who asked him tough questions, I did want to give him a hug. His job is really, really difficult, and one I would never want, not for anything.
  • I posted this tidbit on Facebook and on another blog: Because of an odd Big Brother fear, earlier this year, I typed in the address of my neighbor across the street to find out which voting district I was in/who my candidates were. Imagine my surprise when I got to the polling place on Tuesday to discover two other choices for US rep. Fail.
  • I wish my polling place had food. Or at least "I voted" stickers. Seriously jealous of places like this.
Now let's all hold hands and try to get along for the next two years, six years, the rest of our lives.

Peace. Out.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Um don't reps serve two year terms?! I guess they are expected to accomplish things in two years but the prez is not? Ima confused.

Funny election story.
Facie said…
Anon, I thought about the two-year term thing. I just don't know enough about how everything works to know if that is a valid comparison, though on the surface is sure seems to be.

I just have to hope that this ship can be righted by someone or more likely several someones. And I find it sad that anyone feels differently or felt differently two years ago (i.e., they just want the "other person/people" to fail so they can say "I told you so.").

Popular posts from this blog

Why do they stand up there and say that when they are just lying?

That extra-long title is courtesy of my nine-year-old and was something she uttered during "Say Yes to the Dress" on Friday evening. I watch very little reality TV, but I make an exception for this show because I like to look at the dresses. And sometimes, the stories are heart-warming. Typically at the end of the show, a snippet of a wedding is aired. In this particular show, a woman who was confined to a wheelchair was exchanging vows with her fiance. After the two of them finished, J made her comment. I asked her what she meant as I must have been on the computer while the TV was on, and she explained that because so many people just get divorced, why do they even say "as long as we both shall live"? That is tough one, kid. I tried with what I thought was a sound explanation: Most of the people who get married truly believe they will be together the rest of their lives, but sometimes it just doesn't work out. But if you don't think that you will be ...

TMI

When I refer to TMI, I am not talking about people sharing (often gross) things they probably should not. But rather sharing a friend's or a relative's personal information with a spouse or significant other. I know people who have cheated on their spouses, had abortions, have been raped or victims of domestic violence, committed (minor) criminal acts, did not disclose things to the government that they should have, suffered from various mental aliments, and who have been drug addicts or alcoholics. In most cases, I have not shared that information with Brian unless the person told me I could or I felt he needed to know for family safety issues (e.g., you have to consider who you let your children around). I am certain he would think less of some of these people if he knew things they did, so what purpose does it serve telling him? But more importantly, I want these people who confide in me to know they have my word. I can honestly say I don't think I can trust any of ...

Do you ever just want to run away...

Yesterday's post was a rant about a fairly pointless two-hour delay. For the record, if it is snowing in the morning or if it has snowed throughout the night, I am not against a delay; the road crews have a lot of ground to cover. It is unfortunate for those who still need to get to work and are left scrambling to find child care or have to go in late. But I am all about safety. It is the temps that are clearly going nowhere any time soon that do not warrant a delay, again, in my opinion. It will be cold all day today. Having another delay today, once again, seemed pointless, but I am over it. ***** I had a rough weekend, and I have debated whether I should write about it. As my mom and one of my brothers are so fond of saying (though I will be paraphrasing), "Once you put it down in writing (on paper or in an email), it will always be there. You can't take it back." For that reason, when things weigh heavily on my mind, I don't always share them in this blog....