Skip to main content

Looking fear in the face while embracing the season

If you live around the Burgh, you have probably heard by now that some idiot apparently shot himself on Light-Up Night (as an aside, apparently there is no hyphen in the official Light-Up Night moniker, but I am choosing to put one in anyway). I had wanted to take Jordan to that event, but Brian thought it was too dangerous. I scoffed at that, but relented to his wishes, as much for the all the traffic as for anything else. It turns out he was kind of right.

However, since Light-Up Night was actually a two-day event this year, I decided that we would go to the second day, during the afternoon. I was not about to let a little shooting and some fights stop me from heading downtown. Any time I read about what I consider an isolated incident at a place I would normally go to (or at least would considering going to), I make it a point to get right back on the horse or to try it out if I had never been there before. When there was a shooting at Boyce Park this summer, hours after we had left, I took Jordan back several more times. This seemed even less dangerous to me. And since I am attempting to embrace the holidays this year (see my previous post), I figured Light-Up Night, Day 2, in the afternoon, would be a great way to do it.

And it was.

There is something almost magical about the skating rink at PPG Place. And hearing Christmas tunes while watching skaters young and old glide around the ice and fall a few times adds to the allure. Jordan, who normally does not want to try anything, actually wanted to skate. In fact, she begged me. But, alas, the lines were too long, I did not have my ice skates with me (why pay to rent if you don't have to), and I figured it would be better for her first time if we went on a less-crowded day. But it was still fun to watch.

A highlight of my afternoon was getting my picture taken with both Steely McBeam and Iceburgh and later Smiley. Had my seven year old not taken the picture with my crappy cell phone camera, these might have turned out better. But still, ah, Pittsburgh.


We also walked around the inside of PPG Place, sharing a delicious Crazy Mocha hot chocolate and viewing some amazing gingerbread houses, none of which I snapped a picture of. But I did capture Jordan in front of some ice sculptures just outside of Fifth Avenue Place.

Once inside, I ran into Vince, who owns a coffee shop I try to go to a few times a month. He was playing drums with his jazz band, and we listened to that for awhile.

At some point, we walked to Macy's to see the windows, centered around one of my favorite stories, "Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus" (letter, eventually a TV special, movie, etc.). This brought back memories of when I was a kid and my family and I would head to the city to be on KDKA radio to talk to Trish Beatty and eat Farkleberry Tarts/Dingalings in front of Hornes or Kaufmann's (an internet search seems to lean me towards the former). We would check out the window displays, visit Santa in his toy shop and ride on the little merry-go-round. Ah, memories.

Anyway, Jordan and I waited for the Holly Trolley, lucky to get the last ride of the day, and headed to see the Creche at the USX Building. Or Steel Building. Or whatever the kids are calling it nowadays. I wish you were able to get closer, to really appreciate it, but it was rather amazing nonetheless.
After spending a few minutes there, we headed to Oxford Center, unfortunately missing the last events of the day, but Jordan was happy to ride up and down a glass elevator a few times, so there was that. And then, just before the parade of carriages started, we left, tired from all that walking and Jordan chasing pigeons, but thoroughly satisfied with our adventure.

Yes, Virginia, there is something magical about the holidays, particularly in downtown Pittsburgh. :-)

Comments

Sherri said…
Nice recap. I, too, feel that the evening actual lighting up part of the night is semi-dangerous. Hubby did not agree, so we went (as you know), and.... yeah - we walked RIGHT BY the Wood St. scuffle NOT even knowing about the shooting soooo close to where we were. Next year, may do the daytime thing like you did.

Happy Thanksgiving, btw :-).

Popular posts from this blog

Worry

Lately, I have had some anxiety. I have been waking up within an hour of when I fall asleep (partially because my bladder has its own timetable). And then I lie awake, worrying about various things. Mostly I worry that I am failing as a parent. I worry that I allow my child to be disrespectful to me more than she should. I worry that I am not forcing my shy child to do more things. And I worry that the few things I am pushing her to do will make her resent me. I worry that she gets stressed about school. I worry that she is bothered because she does not have a lot of friends. I worry because I don't know why that is.

I worry that we will be stuck in our house in our bad school district, a place where we would not send our child to high school when she graduates in two years (two years!). Then I worry that our somewhat introverted child will have to go to cyber school. Because there is just no way that we could afford to send her to Catholic high school, for which tuition is curren…

Why I am an "Other"

Last month while I was getting my driver's license picture taken, I tried to change my political party affiliation. For whatever reason, my choices were Democrat, Republican, Other, and None. But first, how I got there.

I registered as a Democrat when I first registered to vote, just before the '92 election. At that time, I was "kind of" liberal (for growing up in a somewhat rural area in western PA), and pretty much all of my relatives were registered that way, so it made sense. I was not really into politics at that young age, however.

As I got into my late 20s, I started to realize I was becoming more conservative, so a few years later, when it was time to renew my driver's license, I changed to Republican. I still remember the day at work when I told my coworker Anne that I was really a Republican. She told me she had known it for years. During the 2008 election, I was on board with John McCain running for president, mostly because I thought he was a good pe…

Calamityware for unique holiday gifts

I have been really lousy at blogging during 2016, for several reasons (some of which I don't even know). One big reason is time: Between working full time and helping promote Calamityware, plus having a small family and doing the occasional social thing, there is not a lot of time left to put thought into blogs. [Sadly, I can put hours into FB, but that is mostly my reading and not thinking, and perhaps writing short comments. :-)]

Anyway, since we are now in the middle of the holiday (shopping) season, I thought I would again promote Calamityware. If you are like me, you have a few people on your gift list who are really challenging to buy for. That is where Calamityware may come in handy. Following are the unique, quirky, fun, and even some beautiful items you can purchase here:
Various porcelain plates adorned with fun things like frogs, zombie poodles, pterodactyls, tentacles, a volcano, a vortex, and more; buy a plate or one of the series of fourSoup bowls with fly (1 fly per …