Skip to main content

Looking fear in the face while embracing the season

If you live around the Burgh, you have probably heard by now that some idiot apparently shot himself on Light-Up Night (as an aside, apparently there is no hyphen in the official Light-Up Night moniker, but I am choosing to put one in anyway). I had wanted to take Jordan to that event, but Brian thought it was too dangerous. I scoffed at that, but relented to his wishes, as much for the all the traffic as for anything else. It turns out he was kind of right.

However, since Light-Up Night was actually a two-day event this year, I decided that we would go to the second day, during the afternoon. I was not about to let a little shooting and some fights stop me from heading downtown. Any time I read about what I consider an isolated incident at a place I would normally go to (or at least would considering going to), I make it a point to get right back on the horse or to try it out if I had never been there before. When there was a shooting at Boyce Park this summer, hours after we had left, I took Jordan back several more times. This seemed even less dangerous to me. And since I am attempting to embrace the holidays this year (see my previous post), I figured Light-Up Night, Day 2, in the afternoon, would be a great way to do it.

And it was.

There is something almost magical about the skating rink at PPG Place. And hearing Christmas tunes while watching skaters young and old glide around the ice and fall a few times adds to the allure. Jordan, who normally does not want to try anything, actually wanted to skate. In fact, she begged me. But, alas, the lines were too long, I did not have my ice skates with me (why pay to rent if you don't have to), and I figured it would be better for her first time if we went on a less-crowded day. But it was still fun to watch.

A highlight of my afternoon was getting my picture taken with both Steely McBeam and Iceburgh and later Smiley. Had my seven year old not taken the picture with my crappy cell phone camera, these might have turned out better. But still, ah, Pittsburgh.


We also walked around the inside of PPG Place, sharing a delicious Crazy Mocha hot chocolate and viewing some amazing gingerbread houses, none of which I snapped a picture of. But I did capture Jordan in front of some ice sculptures just outside of Fifth Avenue Place.

Once inside, I ran into Vince, who owns a coffee shop I try to go to a few times a month. He was playing drums with his jazz band, and we listened to that for awhile.

At some point, we walked to Macy's to see the windows, centered around one of my favorite stories, "Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus" (letter, eventually a TV special, movie, etc.). This brought back memories of when I was a kid and my family and I would head to the city to be on KDKA radio to talk to Trish Beatty and eat Farkleberry Tarts/Dingalings in front of Hornes or Kaufmann's (an internet search seems to lean me towards the former). We would check out the window displays, visit Santa in his toy shop and ride on the little merry-go-round. Ah, memories.

Anyway, Jordan and I waited for the Holly Trolley, lucky to get the last ride of the day, and headed to see the Creche at the USX Building. Or Steel Building. Or whatever the kids are calling it nowadays. I wish you were able to get closer, to really appreciate it, but it was rather amazing nonetheless.
After spending a few minutes there, we headed to Oxford Center, unfortunately missing the last events of the day, but Jordan was happy to ride up and down a glass elevator a few times, so there was that. And then, just before the parade of carriages started, we left, tired from all that walking and Jordan chasing pigeons, but thoroughly satisfied with our adventure.

Yes, Virginia, there is something magical about the holidays, particularly in downtown Pittsburgh. :-)

Comments

Sherri said…
Nice recap. I, too, feel that the evening actual lighting up part of the night is semi-dangerous. Hubby did not agree, so we went (as you know), and.... yeah - we walked RIGHT BY the Wood St. scuffle NOT even knowing about the shooting soooo close to where we were. Next year, may do the daytime thing like you did.

Happy Thanksgiving, btw :-).

Popular posts from this blog

What a year 2021 has been (Day 7)

I have almost no words for what happened yesterday at the Capitol. Protesting is one thing (though I truly think it is and has been time to move on). But to storm the Capitol? A friend on Facebook said, quite simply, " Almost 20 years ago a group of people on an airplane sacrificed themselves to protect the Capitol. How far we have fallen!" Indeed. And, yes, it IS storming the Capitol. I have seen numerous videos of people knocking down barricades/fences, pushing police officers, and breaking windows and climbing through them. That is beyond protesting. And even if a protestor did not do those things, if they followed those seditionists past those barricades and into the building, they are just as guilty. I did not support the violent protests this summer that resulted in damages to businesses and public property (I was in full support of the actual protests). But I also acknowledged as a white person, I cannot truly put myself in the position of a black person who is angry a

Melancholy and Gratitude

 A few days ago, I decided to do gratitude posts on FB. I was good the first two days. Day 3 I got a little snarky as I posted about "doing the right thing" in regards to Covid. The Covid cases in Allegheny County have been on the rise. For a while, we had daily counts between 50 and 100. After July 4, we saw a spike for a few weeks, and then cases were back below 100. Unfortunately, other than one "low" day this week, where "only" 288 cases were reported, we have had between 500 and 620 daily cases. Fortunately, only a few people have died this week. But of course, any death is too many. I started to keep track of cases, deaths, and hospitalizations on 6/12/20. On that day, since 3/12, Allegheny County had had 2,034 cases, 352 people had been hospitalized, and 172 people had died. On 11/19/20, the county has seen a total of 22,042 cases, 1,724 people have been hospitalized, and 465 people have died from Covid since 3/12. In just over 8 months, we have had

Hug your loved ones!

I hate to say that I am still working through my grief. I mean, in some ways I can imagine I will always be grieving. But I feel pretty confident it will get easier, and I will cry less and less. But, yeah, I guess I am still working through it. Yesterday, a thought occurred to me: I had not hugged my dad since the end of February, and that will now be the last time I ever did. I did not see him for almost three months because of COVID, and then at the end of May, he started his series of hospital visits with skilled nursing stints in between. I was always afraid to hug him then. What if I gave him COVID? And yet when my dad had really bad ICU delirium during a few different hospital stays, I fed him. If I could do that, why not hug him? So I cried a bit last night thinking about that. I am not necessarily a big hugger; I used to hate it, and then probably before Jordan was born, I got back to doing it again. Before COVID, I hugged my friends goodbye (and sometimes hello). I always wou