Skip to main content

Staples should be for paper

But, alas, two of them made it into Jordan's head this afternoon, following an incident for which the details are nebulous.

Typically on Wednesdays, my day off, Jordan watches TV while I take a nice, long shower. This morning she was playing with her dolls in her room, so I let that continue, against my better judgement as she was getting frustrated trying to turn a mat into hammock. When I had finished and was putting on my various creams and lotions, she told me that she figured out how to make a hammock in the living room. Had I been clothed, perhaps I would have followed her, to see how she proposed to do this. But just a minute or two later, she was crying, saying she hit her head.

Jordan gets hurt. A lot. Sadly, she has my coordination and grace (I have none and little). I hugged her as she was crying, but did not think much of it. Brian, who was home, thank God, happened to notice the back of her hair was wet, and discovered she was bleeding. Then I got scared.

Fortunately, the bleeding mostly subsided within five minutes, but Brian thought we should take her to the ER. The RN at our ped's office agreed. So 10 minutes later, we made our first trip to Children's Hospital.

As much as I hate hospitals (who doesn't?), I have to say, the experience actually turned out okay. We waited only about 10 minutes in the ER waiting room before being seen and then probably under 15 once we went to Fast-Track. I was truly shocked that it was rather fast. My only complaint was waiting to get in the garage by the ER. We had to wait a few minutes, as I wondered what would happen if we had a serious problem.

Unfortunately for Jordan, the nurse practitioner (we never saw a doctor) did not use an numbing agent, because it does not work, she said, so that part was tough. But we were back home about two hours after we had first called the ped, so not too bad. My little girl did a great job.

I am pretty overprotective to begin with, so I am not sure I will change what I do. I am hopeful Jordan will stop climbing on couches and walking backwards (the incident involved some combination of that, we think). And I can only hope and pray that we never have to go back to Children's again. We were lucky, and I know that.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I so sorry Faith! I hope she's ok! It's never fun to have to make a trip to the ER. It's amazing the crazy things kids will do - right under your nose! - Barb
Mel said…
it takes about one second of not hovering for a kid to figure out the craziest, zaniest ways to hurt himself or herself. glad the whole experience wasn't too nightmarish, and glad she is okay. yikes.
Facie :-) said…
Thanks for the comments, ladies. Jordan is doing just fine. As you would always say, Barb, it will be better before she is married!

Popular posts from this blog

Worry

Lately, I have had some anxiety. I have been waking up within an hour of when I fall asleep (partially because my bladder has its own timetable). And then I lie awake, worrying about various things. Mostly I worry that I am failing as a parent. I worry that I allow my child to be disrespectful to me more than she should. I worry that I am not forcing my shy child to do more things. And I worry that the few things I am pushing her to do will make her resent me. I worry that she gets stressed about school. I worry that she is bothered because she does not have a lot of friends. I worry because I don't know why that is.

I worry that we will be stuck in our house in our bad school district, a place where we would not send our child to high school when she graduates in two years (two years!). Then I worry that our somewhat introverted child will have to go to cyber school. Because there is just no way that we could afford to send her to Catholic high school, for which tuition is curren…

Why I am an "Other"

Last month while I was getting my driver's license picture taken, I tried to change my political party affiliation. For whatever reason, my choices were Democrat, Republican, Other, and None. But first, how I got there.

I registered as a Democrat when I first registered to vote, just before the '92 election. At that time, I was "kind of" liberal (for growing up in a somewhat rural area in western PA), and pretty much all of my relatives were registered that way, so it made sense. I was not really into politics at that young age, however.

As I got into my late 20s, I started to realize I was becoming more conservative, so a few years later, when it was time to renew my driver's license, I changed to Republican. I still remember the day at work when I told my coworker Anne that I was really a Republican. She told me she had known it for years. During the 2008 election, I was on board with John McCain running for president, mostly because I thought he was a good pe…

My first and hopefully my last biposy (or I would rather be at the beach)

This past Monday afternoon I had my biopsy. Up until Sunday night, I was not worried. In fact, I was never really concerned about having cancer; it was the needle part that bothered me. As it turns out, there is more than a needle; there is an actual incision. So it was not surprising that I only got a few hours of sleep. But on a positive note, I cruised right down the Parkway that morning, being the Monday before the 4th, so there was that.

I got there at the prescribed 30 minutes ahead of time; in fact, it was probably close to 35 minutes! I had to wait about 10 minutes, during which I could feel my seat vibrate (still not sure about that; I was tired but I don't think I was imaging it). Then I went back, changed, and waited in the "gowned waiting area" for no more than 5 minutes. Not even enough time to find out whose twins Jennifer Garner was pregnant with! WARNING: What follows will be detailed, though not too graphic.

Then I went back to a room, where someone as…