Skip to main content

Hey, neighbor

Last night I attended a local crime watch meeting. There was what I considered a decent turnout, probably about 75 people, though less than one of the first meetings, which had close to 200.

Crime, for the most part, has gone down in my neck of the woods. Fortunately, the police caught a daytime burglar last year, which resulted in burglaries dropping from an average of about 31 per month to about 11 per month. What is interesting to me is how the burglar was caught. A woman came home to see a guy getting into a car in her driveway. She was fortunately able to provide a good description of the perp and the car to the 911 operator (more fortunately, the perp just wanted to get away and not hurt her). This information enabled the police to locate the car/perp, although the officer in pursuit at first did lose him. Fortunately again, another resident noticed this car speeding away, so he pulled over on the side of the road and flagged down the officer to let him know in which direction the perp went. In the meantime, the perp ended up in a different neighborhood, where another resident was able to call 911 and give the perp 's location. Soon after, the officers arrived and the perp was caught.

So what did I learn from this story and other things the officer said?

  1. If anything looks suspicious, assume it is and call 911. The officer speaking last night really hit this point. You never know when you might end up stopping a crime from being committed or enable the police to locate a criminal just by your phone call. Call 911 for everything (well, at least that is what we are supposed to do in our community; the police no longer have a non-emergency number).
  2. Pay attention to details as much as you can. Because that woman provided a good description of the car, the police were able to locate it. I did question this point, as I called the police a few months ago to report some people fighting on the street in my neighborhood before a car drove away. I was unable to give any detailed information; I was not about to walk to the scene to get details. But the officer said you should never compromise your safety and that any information you share can be helpful, even if it is a car color, the number of people involved, or the direction they are going in.
  3. Get to know your neighbors. Look out for one another. Know who belongs there and who seems out of place.
I think the lack of neighbors socializing and getting to know people has been a real detriment to society. If you take the time to get to know even a few neighbors, those people can be on the lookout if you are on vacation. After all, most burglaries happen when no one is at home. And if neighbors stick together, there is a good chance criminals will go elsewhere.

One woman spoke about how she was able to describe someone who robbed her neighbor (Or was it a burglary? The former involves force, FYI). This woman ended up testifying against the robber, and to this day, five years later, the woman's neighbor is still grateful to her.

Be careful out there. Be observant. And be a good neighbor!

Comments

Sherri said…
Agree wholeheartedly! We feel ok going on vacation because our neighbors do look out for our house... or our kids, for that matter - if we're inside or in the back... all good to know.

Popular posts from this blog

What a year 2021 has been (Day 7)

I have almost no words for what happened yesterday at the Capitol. Protesting is one thing (though I truly think it is and has been time to move on). But to storm the Capitol? A friend on Facebook said, quite simply, " Almost 20 years ago a group of people on an airplane sacrificed themselves to protect the Capitol. How far we have fallen!" Indeed. And, yes, it IS storming the Capitol. I have seen numerous videos of people knocking down barricades/fences, pushing police officers, and breaking windows and climbing through them. That is beyond protesting. And even if a protestor did not do those things, if they followed those seditionists past those barricades and into the building, they are just as guilty. I did not support the violent protests this summer that resulted in damages to businesses and public property (I was in full support of the actual protests). But I also acknowledged as a white person, I cannot truly put myself in the position of a black person who is angry a

Melancholy and Gratitude

 A few days ago, I decided to do gratitude posts on FB. I was good the first two days. Day 3 I got a little snarky as I posted about "doing the right thing" in regards to Covid. The Covid cases in Allegheny County have been on the rise. For a while, we had daily counts between 50 and 100. After July 4, we saw a spike for a few weeks, and then cases were back below 100. Unfortunately, other than one "low" day this week, where "only" 288 cases were reported, we have had between 500 and 620 daily cases. Fortunately, only a few people have died this week. But of course, any death is too many. I started to keep track of cases, deaths, and hospitalizations on 6/12/20. On that day, since 3/12, Allegheny County had had 2,034 cases, 352 people had been hospitalized, and 172 people had died. On 11/19/20, the county has seen a total of 22,042 cases, 1,724 people have been hospitalized, and 465 people have died from Covid since 3/12. In just over 8 months, we have had

Hug your loved ones!

I hate to say that I am still working through my grief. I mean, in some ways I can imagine I will always be grieving. But I feel pretty confident it will get easier, and I will cry less and less. But, yeah, I guess I am still working through it. Yesterday, a thought occurred to me: I had not hugged my dad since the end of February, and that will now be the last time I ever did. I did not see him for almost three months because of COVID, and then at the end of May, he started his series of hospital visits with skilled nursing stints in between. I was always afraid to hug him then. What if I gave him COVID? And yet when my dad had really bad ICU delirium during a few different hospital stays, I fed him. If I could do that, why not hug him? So I cried a bit last night thinking about that. I am not necessarily a big hugger; I used to hate it, and then probably before Jordan was born, I got back to doing it again. Before COVID, I hugged my friends goodbye (and sometimes hello). I always wou