Skip to main content


I am pretty impatient. About some things at least. For years, I had the "pleasure" of sitting in Squirrel Hill Tunnel traffic (though to be fair, during rush hour, you actually do move a little once you get into the tunnel). The slow, often standstill, drive infuriated me for quite awhile, but then I just got used to it. You know, it is what it is. In fact, when we no longer needed to live east of the city, we actually continued to look for houses in that vicinity, which most people just could not understand.

Maybe more than being impatient is that I don't like when I think something is going to happen and it does not. I am not talking about how I NEVER win my church raffle, even though that streak continued this past weekend, what, into its tenth year. I am more referring to things I can't quite explain.

As I mentioned in my last post, I took a trip to NC to visit my brother and his family. I am happy and relieved to say that the trip went well. It was so great to see my nieces and nephew (and my brother and his wife). The drive was long for sure. And we did run into some traffic in Virginia. In fact, it took us just under two hours to go just over 10 miles. While suffering through that snake of traffic, not having a clue what was going on because a sign proclaimed "Left lane closed ahead" without bothering to say if said lane would be closing in 1000 feet or 10 miles, I actually appreciated PennDot at that very moment (well, over 100 of those moments). Typically in PA we get signs that tell us when something is going to happen. The traffic number I called on my cell phone was little help, because the backup occurred long before and well past the three miles that were supposed to be affected. And apparently this lane closure occurred from about 10 p.m. until about 7 p.m. the next day. Stupid time period, IMO. Why not move the start time up, so it can get finished before the evening rush hour the next day? So that was unfortunate, and it did cut into Jordan's swim time, but we dealt.

We also dealt with the heat in NC. At least three people said to me that it is never this hot (mid 90s) in NC this time of year. Funny, people told me a similar thing when I visited my little brother in TX four years ago in May. And yet when I visited the Dallas area for business back at the beginning of this century, in March, it was freezing. And, you guessed it, people said it was not normally that cold.

But, I digress. Sort of. Right now I am waiting to hear if I will be working on a freelance writing gig. I was originally not going to go to NC because this project was supposed to start last week. But it did not. I was back from said trip Sunday evening, thinking/hoping it would start on Monday, when my kid was in her first day of vacation Bible school. But, alas, it did not. My potential client thought she would hear from her client yesterday or today, but since today's workday is almost over, I am starting to give up hope. When I first talked to this person at the end of May, she said her client wanted this done before the end of June. So what gives?

I hate waiting and not knowing, especially when the project is pretty big. It just gives me more time to worry about getting it done. Or worry about not getting it at all.

Not complaining exactly. Just saying it like it is. And still waiting.


Popular posts from this blog


Lately, I have had some anxiety. I have been waking up within an hour of when I fall asleep (partially because my bladder has its own timetable). And then I lie awake, worrying about various things. Mostly I worry that I am failing as a parent. I worry that I allow my child to be disrespectful to me more than she should. I worry that I am not forcing my shy child to do more things. And I worry that the few things I am pushing her to do will make her resent me. I worry that she gets stressed about school. I worry that she is bothered because she does not have a lot of friends. I worry because I don't know why that is.

I worry that we will be stuck in our house in our bad school district, a place where we would not send our child to high school when she graduates in two years (two years!). Then I worry that our somewhat introverted child will have to go to cyber school. Because there is just no way that we could afford to send her to Catholic high school, for which tuition is curren…

Why I am an "Other"

Last month while I was getting my driver's license picture taken, I tried to change my political party affiliation. For whatever reason, my choices were Democrat, Republican, Other, and None. But first, how I got there.

I registered as a Democrat when I first registered to vote, just before the '92 election. At that time, I was "kind of" liberal (for growing up in a somewhat rural area in western PA), and pretty much all of my relatives were registered that way, so it made sense. I was not really into politics at that young age, however.

As I got into my late 20s, I started to realize I was becoming more conservative, so a few years later, when it was time to renew my driver's license, I changed to Republican. I still remember the day at work when I told my coworker Anne that I was really a Republican. She told me she had known it for years. During the 2008 election, I was on board with John McCain running for president, mostly because I thought he was a good pe…

My first and hopefully my last biposy (or I would rather be at the beach)

This past Monday afternoon I had my biopsy. Up until Sunday night, I was not worried. In fact, I was never really concerned about having cancer; it was the needle part that bothered me. As it turns out, there is more than a needle; there is an actual incision. So it was not surprising that I only got a few hours of sleep. But on a positive note, I cruised right down the Parkway that morning, being the Monday before the 4th, so there was that.

I got there at the prescribed 30 minutes ahead of time; in fact, it was probably close to 35 minutes! I had to wait about 10 minutes, during which I could feel my seat vibrate (still not sure about that; I was tired but I don't think I was imaging it). Then I went back, changed, and waited in the "gowned waiting area" for no more than 5 minutes. Not even enough time to find out whose twins Jennifer Garner was pregnant with! WARNING: What follows will be detailed, though not too graphic.

Then I went back to a room, where someone as…