Skip to main content

Heading down the highway

Tomorrow, Jordan, my mom, and I will be heading to NC to visit my brother, his wife, and their kids. I am not a fan of being in the car for hours on end, and even less a fan of being the driver, which is what is about to happen. Fortunately, we are breaking our trip up, traveling about five hours tomorrow and stopping at a hotel (with a pool for Jordan) for the evening, before tackling three hours the next day. On the way back, I plan to do it all in a day. We'll see.

I know a lot of people love to travel. They like checking out new places or visiting their favorites again and again. Most people appreciate getting away from the everyday stuff. Forgetting about bills for a few days or weeks. Not working (or at least not going into an office). Having someone else make their food and/or clean up. Enjoying the mountains, the woods, the sites, or the beach. Sleeping in and/or staying up late. I totally get those things. But I am a worrier, a homebody, and a frugal person who really likes sleeping in her own bed and couldn't care less about adventure. I am the antonym of wanderlust!

I had a nice time at the beach last year, and I really want to go back, although I am quite sure that won't happen for a looooong time. For years, we did not take a vacation, and I was fine with that. But now that we have that great trip under our belts, it is as if I have awakened a sleeping giant.

I definitely don't consider this NC trip to be a vacation, but I am pretty sure Jordan does, which is nice. To her, when you stay at a hotel, that is a vacation. And she is right. We are going someplace else. There will be a pool. We get a nice, hot breakfast the next morning that we don't have to cook. And we will travel through a few states to see people we love and do things we don't normally.

I need to focus on those things, not the hours of driving, what this is going to cost me in gas, how much I worry about things going wrong, and trying to squeeze as much time as I can with these people, in such a short time.

I think I can do this. Wish me luck and safe travels. Hopefully, I will have a good story or two to tell when I return. But if not, boring but safe is A-OK with me.

Comments

Sherri said…
I, too, am a worrier - though do appreciate my time off when I can get it. I plan, plan, plan, and, like you, will attempt to justify hotel stays, etc. BUT - please enjoy your self. Remind yourself that because you are frugal, nose to the grindstone, etc., you deserve this even more!
Mel said…
HAVE A GREAT TIME! We, too, are heading out--on Monday, to Cape May for a quick trip during the only available week all summer. Risks, costs, and potential consequences be d***ed--"we're going, and we're gonna have a happy time!"

I always sort of enjoyed getting away... but have equally enjoyed getting back home. Traveling mercies to us both!

Popular posts from this blog

Why do they stand up there and say that when they are just lying?

That extra-long title is courtesy of my nine-year-old and was something she uttered during "Say Yes to the Dress" on Friday evening. I watch very little reality TV, but I make an exception for this show because I like to look at the dresses. And sometimes, the stories are heart-warming. Typically at the end of the show, a snippet of a wedding is aired. In this particular show, a woman who was confined to a wheelchair was exchanging vows with her fiance. After the two of them finished, J made her comment. I asked her what she meant as I must have been on the computer while the TV was on, and she explained that because so many people just get divorced, why do they even say "as long as we both shall live"? That is tough one, kid. I tried with what I thought was a sound explanation: Most of the people who get married truly believe they will be together the rest of their lives, but sometimes it just doesn't work out. But if you don't think that you will be ...

TMI

When I refer to TMI, I am not talking about people sharing (often gross) things they probably should not. But rather sharing a friend's or a relative's personal information with a spouse or significant other. I know people who have cheated on their spouses, had abortions, have been raped or victims of domestic violence, committed (minor) criminal acts, did not disclose things to the government that they should have, suffered from various mental aliments, and who have been drug addicts or alcoholics. In most cases, I have not shared that information with Brian unless the person told me I could or I felt he needed to know for family safety issues (e.g., you have to consider who you let your children around). I am certain he would think less of some of these people if he knew things they did, so what purpose does it serve telling him? But more importantly, I want these people who confide in me to know they have my word. I can honestly say I don't think I can trust any of ...

Do you ever just want to run away...

Yesterday's post was a rant about a fairly pointless two-hour delay. For the record, if it is snowing in the morning or if it has snowed throughout the night, I am not against a delay; the road crews have a lot of ground to cover. It is unfortunate for those who still need to get to work and are left scrambling to find child care or have to go in late. But I am all about safety. It is the temps that are clearly going nowhere any time soon that do not warrant a delay, again, in my opinion. It will be cold all day today. Having another delay today, once again, seemed pointless, but I am over it. ***** I had a rough weekend, and I have debated whether I should write about it. As my mom and one of my brothers are so fond of saying (though I will be paraphrasing), "Once you put it down in writing (on paper or in an email), it will always be there. You can't take it back." For that reason, when things weigh heavily on my mind, I don't always share them in this blog....