Skip to main content

Parents of the year

Some would argue that it is not up to others to decide who should have kids. Some of those same people would probably also say that it is not up to anyone to tell others that they must prevent a pregnancy, particularly using artificial means. But every time I read a story like the one I read today in the PG, I always jump to the other side of the fence.

A couple with three kids, ages two months, 15 months, and just over two years old, was charged with homicide in the death of their youngest. You can read about it here. This same couple has also been charged with endangering the welfare of children for failing to feed their 15-month-old son. One could presume their two-year old is fine since that kid was not mentioned, but I can't be that presumptuous.

An excuse the mother used is that she never received prenatal care. Apparently for that reason, she thought feeding the kid two ounces of formula a day was enough (It has been awhile since I had a baby, but aren't there some sort of serving guidelines on the bottles/cans?!). Regardless, if you can't afford prenatal care, something that most women receive for six to eight months, you somehow think you can instead afford to raise a child for at least 18 years?! Yeah, that makes sense. And why not just keep having kids one right after the other, as they did? It would not surprise me if this woman was already pregnant again. If not, I have no doubt that she soon will be. Clearly this couple should have stopped at one kid (even better, none).

This is where I say the couple should be sterilized. In my opinion, birth control is not an option because they have shown me they do not deserve the right to ever procreate again. And I am sure they would argue they did not have money for birth control anyway. Because, again, paying for birth control is obviously so much more expensive than raising a child. If only.

When a kid dies at the hands of his parents, people who clearly were not equipped to handle their kids, something needs to be done. This couple should have been better educated in the first place, for sure. And I admittedly am not sure how you would go about doing that. But enough is enough, even if this goes against some sort of personal or religious freedom.

Comments

Lynnette said…
Two ounces of formula a day??? From what I remember, you're supposed to feed an infant two ounces of formula at every feeding, which is, like, every two to four hours, isn't it? This is just a disgrace and saddens me deeply. Mandatory sterilization sounds like a requirement in this situation, at a minimum. I don't think it would be proper etiquette to say what I really think should happen to them.
Facie said…
I should probably clarify. I can't imagine at least one of them not getting locked up for a long time, maybe life. But just in case one gets off (b/c he/she implicates the other) or if one or both get out before they are 80 or 90 (b/c one is sent to a mental hospital then are "well" in a few years), then there is no way, IMO, they should be allowed to have any more kids.

Glad I am not alone, Lynnette!

Popular posts from this blog

Worry

Lately, I have had some anxiety. I have been waking up within an hour of when I fall asleep (partially because my bladder has its own timetable). And then I lie awake, worrying about various things. Mostly I worry that I am failing as a parent. I worry that I allow my child to be disrespectful to me more than she should. I worry that I am not forcing my shy child to do more things. And I worry that the few things I am pushing her to do will make her resent me. I worry that she gets stressed about school. I worry that she is bothered because she does not have a lot of friends. I worry because I don't know why that is.

I worry that we will be stuck in our house in our bad school district, a place where we would not send our child to high school when she graduates in two years (two years!). Then I worry that our somewhat introverted child will have to go to cyber school. Because there is just no way that we could afford to send her to Catholic high school, for which tuition is curren…

Why I am an "Other"

Last month while I was getting my driver's license picture taken, I tried to change my political party affiliation. For whatever reason, my choices were Democrat, Republican, Other, and None. But first, how I got there.

I registered as a Democrat when I first registered to vote, just before the '92 election. At that time, I was "kind of" liberal (for growing up in a somewhat rural area in western PA), and pretty much all of my relatives were registered that way, so it made sense. I was not really into politics at that young age, however.

As I got into my late 20s, I started to realize I was becoming more conservative, so a few years later, when it was time to renew my driver's license, I changed to Republican. I still remember the day at work when I told my coworker Anne that I was really a Republican. She told me she had known it for years. During the 2008 election, I was on board with John McCain running for president, mostly because I thought he was a good pe…

Calamityware for unique holiday gifts

I have been really lousy at blogging during 2016, for several reasons (some of which I don't even know). One big reason is time: Between working full time and helping promote Calamityware, plus having a small family and doing the occasional social thing, there is not a lot of time left to put thought into blogs. [Sadly, I can put hours into FB, but that is mostly my reading and not thinking, and perhaps writing short comments. :-)]

Anyway, since we are now in the middle of the holiday (shopping) season, I thought I would again promote Calamityware. If you are like me, you have a few people on your gift list who are really challenging to buy for. That is where Calamityware may come in handy. Following are the unique, quirky, fun, and even some beautiful items you can purchase here:
Various porcelain plates adorned with fun things like frogs, zombie poodles, pterodactyls, tentacles, a volcano, a vortex, and more; buy a plate or one of the series of fourSoup bowls with fly (1 fly per …