Skip to main content

Make a decision already

I am not the best when it comes to making decisions, sometimes even simple ones. But in my defense, I am also pretty easy-going, so for most things, I could really go either way.

I have been a Verizon customer for years. Probably since before Al Gore invented the internet. At some point during our long-term relationship, Verizon rewarded customers with a "new-every-two" deal. I swear years ago it was better, that you pretty much could get any phone you wanted once your two years were up and you signed on for two more. But phones today are so much more glitzy and complicated that there is no way they would do that now. So you get 50 bucks towards something. Fortunately, for what I want, that and whatever special they have pretty much hooks me up.

I was up for a new phone this past October. Since my phone had been working fine, I waited until just before Christmas to see what my options were. But after looking at the array of choices and pretty much becoming overwhelmed, I ended up leaving empty-handed, not to return for over six months. Today, on a whim, I decided to go back to the store. I figured my phone was living on borrowed time, closing in on three years, so I might as well just get something. Apparently many others had that same thought, and I was told I would have to wait for 30 minutes to talk to someone, so I decided to forget it. I moved on to the Goodwill store, still shocked from yesterday's discovery that not only does the Gap no longer sell the shorts I bought in 2001 and have loved since, but shorts at the Gap apparently cost $40 now. And the jeans I also loved and probably last bought that same year now cost $60. What?!

Anyway, after I bought a much more palatable pair of $3 shorts at Goodwill, I figured I would try the smaller Verizon store at the mall. The sales dude there was able to help me right away and showed me a few phones, recommending two of them. I could not decide which was better--the virtually indestructible one with more megapixels or the one with the Qwerty keyboard, which I had been coveting because of the (hardly any) text messages I send each month. I told the guy I was ever so slightly leaning towards the latter, but I had to leave in under 10 minutes to pick up my kid, so I would be back. Then sales dude told me he could hook me up in five minutes.

This is where I typically falter. Where I go weak. The very reason why I hate car-shopping. I kind of wanted to go home and research these two phones more. But his persuasion got the best of me, and I told him I would go with the Qwerty one, which also happened to have a cool name (Cosmo or Cosmos; either way, still cool).

As with most of my purchases, I, of course, am now second-guessing my decision. The phone is made by the same company that made the phone I just gave up, so the similar setup and features are a big positive for someone like me, who hates reading manuals. But being the creature of habit I am, I have yet to try the Qwerty feature, so I might as well have gotten the one with more megapixels. And I am kind of annoyed by the leather case; I can't see what time it is without taking my phone out of the case. I am also missing my cool ringtones, but maybe if I go back the sales dude can pull those over just as he did my pictures and contacts.

In the grand scheme of things, I am sure it will be fine. It is not as if I just spent a lot of money or will be stuck with it for years on end (I think I am due for a new one in 20 months). But don't think I won't be pondering this decision a few times over the next several weeks or months.

After all, to this day, I still think about the other wedding dress I liked just about as well as the one I ended up with. And I got married over 11 years ago!

I am weird like that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why do they stand up there and say that when they are just lying?

That extra-long title is courtesy of my nine-year-old and was something she uttered during "Say Yes to the Dress" on Friday evening. I watch very little reality TV, but I make an exception for this show because I like to look at the dresses. And sometimes, the stories are heart-warming. Typically at the end of the show, a snippet of a wedding is aired. In this particular show, a woman who was confined to a wheelchair was exchanging vows with her fiance. After the two of them finished, J made her comment. I asked her what she meant as I must have been on the computer while the TV was on, and she explained that because so many people just get divorced, why do they even say "as long as we both shall live"? That is tough one, kid. I tried with what I thought was a sound explanation: Most of the people who get married truly believe they will be together the rest of their lives, but sometimes it just doesn't work out. But if you don't think that you will be ...

TMI

When I refer to TMI, I am not talking about people sharing (often gross) things they probably should not. But rather sharing a friend's or a relative's personal information with a spouse or significant other. I know people who have cheated on their spouses, had abortions, have been raped or victims of domestic violence, committed (minor) criminal acts, did not disclose things to the government that they should have, suffered from various mental aliments, and who have been drug addicts or alcoholics. In most cases, I have not shared that information with Brian unless the person told me I could or I felt he needed to know for family safety issues (e.g., you have to consider who you let your children around). I am certain he would think less of some of these people if he knew things they did, so what purpose does it serve telling him? But more importantly, I want these people who confide in me to know they have my word. I can honestly say I don't think I can trust any of ...

Do you ever just want to run away...

Yesterday's post was a rant about a fairly pointless two-hour delay. For the record, if it is snowing in the morning or if it has snowed throughout the night, I am not against a delay; the road crews have a lot of ground to cover. It is unfortunate for those who still need to get to work and are left scrambling to find child care or have to go in late. But I am all about safety. It is the temps that are clearly going nowhere any time soon that do not warrant a delay, again, in my opinion. It will be cold all day today. Having another delay today, once again, seemed pointless, but I am over it. ***** I had a rough weekend, and I have debated whether I should write about it. As my mom and one of my brothers are so fond of saying (though I will be paraphrasing), "Once you put it down in writing (on paper or in an email), it will always be there. You can't take it back." For that reason, when things weigh heavily on my mind, I don't always share them in this blog....