Skip to main content

Stuck in limbo

As I have written several times here and on Facebook, I am enjoying not working. Spending this time with Jordan has been like a gift, an experience I never thought I would be given. And not having to get up in the morning or sit in traffic has been blissful. Plus since the weather has been nice more often than not, I am able to appreciate it at different points throughout the day, rather than for just 30 minutes during a lunchtime walk.

But I know this is temporary. And that is why I find myself looking over my shoulder, waiting for it to go away. A few months ago, I filled out some info for my 20-year high school reunion. I have yet to change/remove my occupation because I don't know what I would change it to. I don't think of myself as a stay-at-home mom; I mean I am one now, but the reality is I am unemployed and will hopefully be employed by September, when Jordan starts first grade.

Don't misunderstand, I have great regard for SAHMs. I think it is a much harder job than most others out there. I never thought I had the personality to be with my kid 24-7, which is kind of sad, I realize. But you know the kind of mom I mean, the perky, bubbly, fun one. I see these woman at play areas or at the park. Plus I am not really a fan of cooking, so that seemed problematic. But, as I have also mentioned, when I first had Jordan, I had the only income, so the point was moot.

This morning, I updated some personal information for the Penn State Alumni Association. I had to remove my work info, which was not really that painful. But when I came to a section about what I am doing now, I had no idea what to say. So I left it blank.

Every time something like this comes along, I am confronted with what I am putting off, which is finding a job. Hopefully I will be ready to do that soon. And by soon, I mean in June. Or July. Until then, I am going to enjoy this time as best as I can, while still looking behind me (or, more appropriately, ahead).

Go Pens!

Comments

Chris H. said…
Keep enjoying! Breaks like these are few and far between. And you know the saying: No one looks back at the end of their life and says, "Gee, I wish I had worked more."
Facie said…
Believe me, that saying has been at the front of my mind.

Yes, I do plan to keep enjoying.

Popular posts from this blog

What a year 2021 has been (Day 7)

I have almost no words for what happened yesterday at the Capitol. Protesting is one thing (though I truly think it is and has been time to move on). But to storm the Capitol? A friend on Facebook said, quite simply, " Almost 20 years ago a group of people on an airplane sacrificed themselves to protect the Capitol. How far we have fallen!" Indeed. And, yes, it IS storming the Capitol. I have seen numerous videos of people knocking down barricades/fences, pushing police officers, and breaking windows and climbing through them. That is beyond protesting. And even if a protestor did not do those things, if they followed those seditionists past those barricades and into the building, they are just as guilty. I did not support the violent protests this summer that resulted in damages to businesses and public property (I was in full support of the actual protests). But I also acknowledged as a white person, I cannot truly put myself in the position of a black person who is angry a

Melancholy and Gratitude

 A few days ago, I decided to do gratitude posts on FB. I was good the first two days. Day 3 I got a little snarky as I posted about "doing the right thing" in regards to Covid. The Covid cases in Allegheny County have been on the rise. For a while, we had daily counts between 50 and 100. After July 4, we saw a spike for a few weeks, and then cases were back below 100. Unfortunately, other than one "low" day this week, where "only" 288 cases were reported, we have had between 500 and 620 daily cases. Fortunately, only a few people have died this week. But of course, any death is too many. I started to keep track of cases, deaths, and hospitalizations on 6/12/20. On that day, since 3/12, Allegheny County had had 2,034 cases, 352 people had been hospitalized, and 172 people had died. On 11/19/20, the county has seen a total of 22,042 cases, 1,724 people have been hospitalized, and 465 people have died from Covid since 3/12. In just over 8 months, we have had

Hug your loved ones!

I hate to say that I am still working through my grief. I mean, in some ways I can imagine I will always be grieving. But I feel pretty confident it will get easier, and I will cry less and less. But, yeah, I guess I am still working through it. Yesterday, a thought occurred to me: I had not hugged my dad since the end of February, and that will now be the last time I ever did. I did not see him for almost three months because of COVID, and then at the end of May, he started his series of hospital visits with skilled nursing stints in between. I was always afraid to hug him then. What if I gave him COVID? And yet when my dad had really bad ICU delirium during a few different hospital stays, I fed him. If I could do that, why not hug him? So I cried a bit last night thinking about that. I am not necessarily a big hugger; I used to hate it, and then probably before Jordan was born, I got back to doing it again. Before COVID, I hugged my friends goodbye (and sometimes hello). I always wou