Skip to main content

Ugh! (but at least we have the Pens)

I like to think I have gotten over most of my sports superstitions, but unfortunately, I still tend to think that if something good happens, then something bad must follow (or vice-versa).

First we had childcare issues. Then there were a couple of big expenses. Next came an in-law situation (there are some things that will never make this blog). Now, just when I thought we found someone to watch Jordan, I get a note from our new person that her son is in the hospital and she does not know when he will be out, and Jordan was supposed to start there in two days.

From the beginning, I had some reservations about this person. She cancelled the first time we were supposed to meet because she had to take her mother-in-law to the doctor, and it ended up taking hours. I thought at least she was devoted to her family. Then she cancelled our next meeting because her son was sick, but that seemed acceptable because of the germ factor. Next, right before we are to meet, she said her husband has concerns because her child is 2 as is the other kid she watches, and couldn't my kid regress because of that. Since I was bringing my kid only one or two days and because this is what parents of kids of different ages experience, I was not worried, and so I told her. My initial reaction was to say forget it, but from all the emails we exchanged and talking on the phone, I did like this woman, so I decided it was worth it to give it a try.

We finally met, and things went well. Jordan seemed to feel comfortable (she did not want to leave). I told this woman of the issues I had experienced in my current situation, and she seemed to understand/not be like that. So this past week, when I was trying to schedule days, she ended up cancelling a future date the day after she said she could because her son had a doctor's appointment that would take another month to reschedule. Again, I was understanding; her son had been having coughing/allergy issues.

But now, even once her son gets out of the hospital, I am not sure this is going to work. There seem to be too many things going on for her family, and I cannot find out the day before I am dropping my kid off that I don't have care. I really, truly feel sorry for her; it must be scary to go through these coughing bouts and not know what is going on. But I have to think of myself, and at this point, I wonder if God has been giving me hints all along not to go to this person. Who knows, but I just hope I find someone else soon.

So what is bright side in all this? The Pens are doing well! What a ride we are having. I have not been this excited about hockey since the early 90s. Even the few years the Pens have been in the playoffs since the cup years pale in comparison to this. I have a feeling...


Popular posts from this blog


Lately, I have had some anxiety. I have been waking up within an hour of when I fall asleep (partially because my bladder has its own timetable). And then I lie awake, worrying about various things. Mostly I worry that I am failing as a parent. I worry that I allow my child to be disrespectful to me more than she should. I worry that I am not forcing my shy child to do more things. And I worry that the few things I am pushing her to do will make her resent me. I worry that she gets stressed about school. I worry that she is bothered because she does not have a lot of friends. I worry because I don't know why that is.

I worry that we will be stuck in our house in our bad school district, a place where we would not send our child to high school when she graduates in two years (two years!). Then I worry that our somewhat introverted child will have to go to cyber school. Because there is just no way that we could afford to send her to Catholic high school, for which tuition is curren…

Why I am an "Other"

Last month while I was getting my driver's license picture taken, I tried to change my political party affiliation. For whatever reason, my choices were Democrat, Republican, Other, and None. But first, how I got there.

I registered as a Democrat when I first registered to vote, just before the '92 election. At that time, I was "kind of" liberal (for growing up in a somewhat rural area in western PA), and pretty much all of my relatives were registered that way, so it made sense. I was not really into politics at that young age, however.

As I got into my late 20s, I started to realize I was becoming more conservative, so a few years later, when it was time to renew my driver's license, I changed to Republican. I still remember the day at work when I told my coworker Anne that I was really a Republican. She told me she had known it for years. During the 2008 election, I was on board with John McCain running for president, mostly because I thought he was a good pe…

My first and hopefully my last biposy (or I would rather be at the beach)

This past Monday afternoon I had my biopsy. Up until Sunday night, I was not worried. In fact, I was never really concerned about having cancer; it was the needle part that bothered me. As it turns out, there is more than a needle; there is an actual incision. So it was not surprising that I only got a few hours of sleep. But on a positive note, I cruised right down the Parkway that morning, being the Monday before the 4th, so there was that.

I got there at the prescribed 30 minutes ahead of time; in fact, it was probably close to 35 minutes! I had to wait about 10 minutes, during which I could feel my seat vibrate (still not sure about that; I was tired but I don't think I was imaging it). Then I went back, changed, and waited in the "gowned waiting area" for no more than 5 minutes. Not even enough time to find out whose twins Jennifer Garner was pregnant with! WARNING: What follows will be detailed, though not too graphic.

Then I went back to a room, where someone as…