Skip to main content

I am superstitious


Hockey players have to be some of the most superstitious athletes out there. I was surprised to read/hear that the Penguins players refused to touch the Prince of Wales trophy. They deserved to bask in the accolades; it was a great accomplishment, something we have not seen in over 15 years. But some players said the Eastern Conference means nothing, that the Cup is the ultimate goal, and I guess they don't want to do anything to jinx that.

I bought a new Penguins shirt a week and a half ago (see pic above), and the Pens won each time I wore it. But I am pretty sure that the win had nothing to do with me. However, if I don't wear that shirt and the Pens lose, you can believe I will blame myself on some level. I considered not shaving my legs the entire playoffs, in deference to the players not shaving their facial hair, but I am pretty sure Brian would not appreciate that.

It is kind of fun(ny), and egotistical really, to think any one person not directly involved in the game can affect the outcome. But it kind of adds to the allure of the game. In college, I can remember yelling when JoePa and players ran out the tunnel. I had to yell without stopping until the last player came through. But the Lions lost some of those games. One Steeler season I wore my Steelers underwear every game (yes, I washed it), but the Steelers lost some of those games. In 2002, I wore my Steelers sweater every Monday beginning a few weeks into the season. The Steelers did not lose any games from that point on, as far as I recall, but they did lose the AFC Championship Game. Spygate, anyone?

Sure, I and many others will be disappointed if the Guins don't bring the Cup back to the Burgh, but this season and the playoffs especially have been so amazing, that I think the Penguins, the fans, the city, etc., should not lose sight of that.

I feel good about the Pens' chances; there really seems to be something magical about the team, as if it is destiny. So here is hoping the youth and talent keep on rolling and I get to buy a Stanley Cup Champions shirt for the Pens. Let's go Pens!!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Great post! Funny, I think many of us have those types of superstitions... I thought the not shaving your legs for the entire playoffs was funny, I think under the arms may be more appropriate! I remember a few years back when I was going to many ND games, I had my game day underwear! Ha ha... I got a chuckle when you wrote that!
Blossom said…
I can't wait to see if any of the the Detroit fans will throw an octopus on the ice!
Facie :-) said…
I did wear my t-shirt for last night's game, which obviously did not help. But on Friday, I debated if I should wear that shirt or my Pens Mark Recchi jersey. I actually called some guy at work to get his take (he is a little superstitious), but he was not at his desk. I went with the t-shirt, but it is clear I should have gone jersey ;-)

Popular posts from this blog

Worry

Lately, I have had some anxiety. I have been waking up within an hour of when I fall asleep (partially because my bladder has its own timetable). And then I lie awake, worrying about various things. Mostly I worry that I am failing as a parent. I worry that I allow my child to be disrespectful to me more than she should. I worry that I am not forcing my shy child to do more things. And I worry that the few things I am pushing her to do will make her resent me. I worry that she gets stressed about school. I worry that she is bothered because she does not have a lot of friends. I worry because I don't know why that is.

I worry that we will be stuck in our house in our bad school district, a place where we would not send our child to high school when she graduates in two years (two years!). Then I worry that our somewhat introverted child will have to go to cyber school. Because there is just no way that we could afford to send her to Catholic high school, for which tuition is curren…

Why I am an "Other"

Last month while I was getting my driver's license picture taken, I tried to change my political party affiliation. For whatever reason, my choices were Democrat, Republican, Other, and None. But first, how I got there.

I registered as a Democrat when I first registered to vote, just before the '92 election. At that time, I was "kind of" liberal (for growing up in a somewhat rural area in western PA), and pretty much all of my relatives were registered that way, so it made sense. I was not really into politics at that young age, however.

As I got into my late 20s, I started to realize I was becoming more conservative, so a few years later, when it was time to renew my driver's license, I changed to Republican. I still remember the day at work when I told my coworker Anne that I was really a Republican. She told me she had known it for years. During the 2008 election, I was on board with John McCain running for president, mostly because I thought he was a good pe…

My first and hopefully my last biposy (or I would rather be at the beach)

This past Monday afternoon I had my biopsy. Up until Sunday night, I was not worried. In fact, I was never really concerned about having cancer; it was the needle part that bothered me. As it turns out, there is more than a needle; there is an actual incision. So it was not surprising that I only got a few hours of sleep. But on a positive note, I cruised right down the Parkway that morning, being the Monday before the 4th, so there was that.

I got there at the prescribed 30 minutes ahead of time; in fact, it was probably close to 35 minutes! I had to wait about 10 minutes, during which I could feel my seat vibrate (still not sure about that; I was tired but I don't think I was imaging it). Then I went back, changed, and waited in the "gowned waiting area" for no more than 5 minutes. Not even enough time to find out whose twins Jennifer Garner was pregnant with! WARNING: What follows will be detailed, though not too graphic.

Then I went back to a room, where someone as…