Skip to main content

Bye, bye baby

Today the St. Vincent de Paul society became the recipient of numerous baby paraphernalia. We said good bye to the swing, stroller, infant and toddler car seats, bouncer, high chair, crib music thing, and numerous other items that Brian put into boxes and bags. The fact that I have been referring to Jordan as an only child over the last couple of months prompted this, but had we not put our house back up for sale (after being off the market for about six months), I probably would have held on to these things for at least another year.

The reality is even though money and that I am just not into babies (that is, I don't really want to have a baby) are big factors in our decision to have just one kid, as significant is that I am selfish. If you have been my friend for years, you know how self-centered and absorbed I can be, how I think my problems and what goes on in my life are so significant. And with one child, you can still be a little selfish. Don't get me wrong, Jordan is first in my life probably 99 percent of the time (work notwithstanding), but there are times I put myself first, and most of the time I feel okay about that.

Anyway, I hope that someone who does not have a lot can benefit from all the items that served us and Jordan well. Sure the cynical side of me thinks if you cannot afford to have a kid, you should not have one (think of the Hillary Clinton story about the expectant mother who could not afford health care and died because a hospital would not treat her, except Hil did not have the story quite right). But I also realize life is unpredictable, and it does not always turn out the way you planned. So perhaps some family who found itself down a job or with extra, unplanned expenses will happen into the St. Vincent de Paul store, buy a handful of those baby things, and thank God for their good fortune.

All that said, somewhere in the back of my mind, even though I don't really want another baby, I still think we could one day adopt a toddler or preschooler, someone who needs to be loved. You just never know. But for now, I will thank God for the one child I have, as I try to do every day and more. She means everything to me, and we are truly blessed for having her.

Comments

Facie said…
I doubt that anyone ever goes back and reads my old posts, but I had to include this comment on the heels of my doctor's appointment.

Last week, I went to the same ob-gyn practice I have gone to for about 10 years, but I saw a new doctor. She asked if I was planning to have kids. I thought perhaps I missed her saying "any more kids." So I said probably not, that we gave away all of our baby stuff, but would decide by next year.

At the end of the appointment, this doctor said, "You don't have any kids, right?" I said I did and she said on my chart is said I was childless.

Believe me, I do NOT like my practice, and I don't think they have done a good job, but they did treat me my entire pregancy, and I have an almost 5-year old as proof that I have a kid. Isn't there a record of all this on my chart, for the love of Pete?!

Popular posts from this blog

Why do they stand up there and say that when they are just lying?

That extra-long title is courtesy of my nine-year-old and was something she uttered during "Say Yes to the Dress" on Friday evening. I watch very little reality TV, but I make an exception for this show because I like to look at the dresses. And sometimes, the stories are heart-warming. Typically at the end of the show, a snippet of a wedding is aired. In this particular show, a woman who was confined to a wheelchair was exchanging vows with her fiance. After the two of them finished, J made her comment. I asked her what she meant as I must have been on the computer while the TV was on, and she explained that because so many people just get divorced, why do they even say "as long as we both shall live"? That is tough one, kid. I tried with what I thought was a sound explanation: Most of the people who get married truly believe they will be together the rest of their lives, but sometimes it just doesn't work out. But if you don't think that you will be ...

TMI

When I refer to TMI, I am not talking about people sharing (often gross) things they probably should not. But rather sharing a friend's or a relative's personal information with a spouse or significant other. I know people who have cheated on their spouses, had abortions, have been raped or victims of domestic violence, committed (minor) criminal acts, did not disclose things to the government that they should have, suffered from various mental aliments, and who have been drug addicts or alcoholics. In most cases, I have not shared that information with Brian unless the person told me I could or I felt he needed to know for family safety issues (e.g., you have to consider who you let your children around). I am certain he would think less of some of these people if he knew things they did, so what purpose does it serve telling him? But more importantly, I want these people who confide in me to know they have my word. I can honestly say I don't think I can trust any of ...

Do you ever just want to run away...

Yesterday's post was a rant about a fairly pointless two-hour delay. For the record, if it is snowing in the morning or if it has snowed throughout the night, I am not against a delay; the road crews have a lot of ground to cover. It is unfortunate for those who still need to get to work and are left scrambling to find child care or have to go in late. But I am all about safety. It is the temps that are clearly going nowhere any time soon that do not warrant a delay, again, in my opinion. It will be cold all day today. Having another delay today, once again, seemed pointless, but I am over it. ***** I had a rough weekend, and I have debated whether I should write about it. As my mom and one of my brothers are so fond of saying (though I will be paraphrasing), "Once you put it down in writing (on paper or in an email), it will always be there. You can't take it back." For that reason, when things weigh heavily on my mind, I don't always share them in this blog....