Skip to main content

I need Martha or HGTV

I am thinking at 36, I am never going to get organized or be domestic. I am sitting at my desk in the office/Sadie's room (how many dogs have their own room?), and there have to be at least 25 pieces of loose paper, including bills, Jordan's school stuff, my day planner, a wedding invitation, a Huggies pull-ups coupon pack (for the 21-month old child I apparently have, according to them) and a handful of credit card receipts. There are two filing cabinets next to my computer desk, but filing happens about every three or four months in this house. Fortunately, this is the worst room, but it is not as if the rest of the house is clutter-free. And unfortunately, if we expect to put our house back on the market in a couple of weeks, I need to spring into action. Help!

I have said to numerous people that I would rather go through labor again without drugs than move. I mean it, even though natural child birth is pretty awful, let me tell you. But I just hate packing and unpacking that much, and I am not even talking about the stress of selling your house and trying to find another, which also gives me heart palpitations. I just have trouble throwing things away, though I am starting to realize (even if I have not taken action yet), I am not going to be able to save every art piece, calendar, and newsletter from Jordan's preschool.

Speaking of being domestic, which I am clearly not, I am proud to say that I sewed a flower back on one of Jordan's ballet dress-up outfits. She asked Brian to do it, and I figured since he does all the cooking, I would really be setting a bad example if I did not do it (although at least our house is pretty devoid of sexism). It went pretty well, I must say; I think I did a better job than I normally do when I sew clasps and buttons once in a blue moon. In my defense, my mother never sewed anything. On top of that, I had only one year of home ec in high school, and we had such a large class that we hardly did any sewing. The one little project we did (I swear it was sewing buttons), I struggled, and my teacher, who absolutely adored me for whatever reason, pretty much did it for me.

Cooking I have less of an excuse. My mom was a pretty good cook, and at one time, I actually did some cooking around here. But once we had a kid, and I was the one who picked her up every day and got home later than Brian, it just made sense that he cook, and he is good at it too. Now that Bri works from home most days, what is the point of my stepping in, so I rationalize. I know I am lucky in that respect. But I also know it would be nice if I started to make a meal again on my day off. I know Brian sure would like it!

Well, maybe this weekend, I will finally remove our Christmas cards from the plastic pumpkin candy holder located on our microwave. Baby steps...

Comments

ashley said…
You don't need Martha or HGTV. Sounds like you need David Allen's book, Getting Things Done. I know your rant was about office organization, not productivity, but that book presents a way of dealing with "stuff" that has helped me tremendously, at work and at home.

There's a ton of info online about GTD...here's the basic idea, and check out Wikipedia for more in-depth info.

Looking forward to our Penn Brewery outing!
SweetRice said…
Love your blog! It sounds like you have a great life and wonderful people around you. Focus on your daughter, she is the most important, far more important than a perfect house!
Lori
Facie :-) said…
Ash: I will have to check it out. But in the meantime, I did finally clean out the Halloween pumpkin full of Christmas cards. See you soon!

Sweetrice: Thanks for stopping by. I am lucky to be surrounded by a lot of really good people. And now I have another excuse not to clean/organize. Sweet!

Popular posts from this blog

Worry

Lately, I have had some anxiety. I have been waking up within an hour of when I fall asleep (partially because my bladder has its own timetable). And then I lie awake, worrying about various things. Mostly I worry that I am failing as a parent. I worry that I allow my child to be disrespectful to me more than she should. I worry that I am not forcing my shy child to do more things. And I worry that the few things I am pushing her to do will make her resent me. I worry that she gets stressed about school. I worry that she is bothered because she does not have a lot of friends. I worry because I don't know why that is.

I worry that we will be stuck in our house in our bad school district, a place where we would not send our child to high school when she graduates in two years (two years!). Then I worry that our somewhat introverted child will have to go to cyber school. Because there is just no way that we could afford to send her to Catholic high school, for which tuition is curren…

Why I am an "Other"

Last month while I was getting my driver's license picture taken, I tried to change my political party affiliation. For whatever reason, my choices were Democrat, Republican, Other, and None. But first, how I got there.

I registered as a Democrat when I first registered to vote, just before the '92 election. At that time, I was "kind of" liberal (for growing up in a somewhat rural area in western PA), and pretty much all of my relatives were registered that way, so it made sense. I was not really into politics at that young age, however.

As I got into my late 20s, I started to realize I was becoming more conservative, so a few years later, when it was time to renew my driver's license, I changed to Republican. I still remember the day at work when I told my coworker Anne that I was really a Republican. She told me she had known it for years. During the 2008 election, I was on board with John McCain running for president, mostly because I thought he was a good pe…

My first and hopefully my last biposy (or I would rather be at the beach)

This past Monday afternoon I had my biopsy. Up until Sunday night, I was not worried. In fact, I was never really concerned about having cancer; it was the needle part that bothered me. As it turns out, there is more than a needle; there is an actual incision. So it was not surprising that I only got a few hours of sleep. But on a positive note, I cruised right down the Parkway that morning, being the Monday before the 4th, so there was that.

I got there at the prescribed 30 minutes ahead of time; in fact, it was probably close to 35 minutes! I had to wait about 10 minutes, during which I could feel my seat vibrate (still not sure about that; I was tired but I don't think I was imaging it). Then I went back, changed, and waited in the "gowned waiting area" for no more than 5 minutes. Not even enough time to find out whose twins Jennifer Garner was pregnant with! WARNING: What follows will be detailed, though not too graphic.

Then I went back to a room, where someone as…