Skip to main content

Random Ramblings

I wanted to get a quick post in, mostly so I could upload a picture of our "Good Things" box that I referenced in my last post. So far, I have managed to find at least one positive thing to put in every day, and some days I have had more than one. Truth be told, I could come up with at least a half dozen if I really wanted to, but I am going for quality, not quantity.

A few other things:

  • I wish hockey season would start. I have a glimmer of hope, but it is tiny. Regardless, it was nice to see Team USA beat the Swedes today in the world junior hockey championships. I had never watched a hockey game at 8 a.m. but glad that today changed that. Worth noting is that four of Team USA's members hail from western PA. Equally as nice for me was watching those guys (kids, to me) enthusiastically sing the National Anthem after they had been awarded their gold medals. You just don't see that often.
  • Today we "de-decorated." I feel a little bad about this because not only did we do this a day early (tomorrow is Epiphany, which is the end of the Christmas season in the church), but also because it means the holidays are really over. At least our house still smells of pine needles, because we vacuumed hundreds of them. This also means that for the next few times we vacuum, we will continue to smell pine needles, rather than (hopefully!) dog. It's the little things.
  • It was kind of nice when a couple of the kids from school said to me that they wished I was their new Spanish teacher. I reminded them that I know very little Spanish, but they said that it was more important that I could teach. 
  • I know I should drop the four pounds I gained in the last four to six weeks, but, alas, we still have two boxes of candy left plus Girl Scout cookies have just gone on sale. If only I had some self-control.
  • I don't want to talk too much about politics, but I will say these things: I am glad that taxes were not raised on the middle income people. I know we all have to make sacrifices, but considering the cost of everything has gone up in the past few years and the hubby has not had a raise in more years than that, I don't know how much more we can do. I also don't like that the payroll tax has gone back up for the same reason, but it was supposed to be a temporary thing, so I can accept it. Those things notwithstanding, spending cuts need to be made. I don't know in which areas, but the country cannot continue down this same path.
  • Finally, here is the picture of the "Good Things" box. Jordan decided on the color scheme (the sides, which you cannot see, are orange) and doodads. Here's hoping we can continue to put good/positive things in there. Glass half full!

Comments

bluzdude said…
We've got our hockey back! Game on!

I saw some rumblings on Twitter last night, but there it was on my home page this morning.

Lets Go Pens!
Facie said…
I stayed up late last night b/c I too heard some talk (FB for me), but threw in the towel at about 12:30. I was dee-lighted when I got up at 8:15 and read my breaking news email.

Popular posts from this blog

Worry

Lately, I have had some anxiety. I have been waking up within an hour of when I fall asleep (partially because my bladder has its own timetable). And then I lie awake, worrying about various things. Mostly I worry that I am failing as a parent. I worry that I allow my child to be disrespectful to me more than she should. I worry that I am not forcing my shy child to do more things. And I worry that the few things I am pushing her to do will make her resent me. I worry that she gets stressed about school. I worry that she is bothered because she does not have a lot of friends. I worry because I don't know why that is.

I worry that we will be stuck in our house in our bad school district, a place where we would not send our child to high school when she graduates in two years (two years!). Then I worry that our somewhat introverted child will have to go to cyber school. Because there is just no way that we could afford to send her to Catholic high school, for which tuition is curren…

Why I am an "Other"

Last month while I was getting my driver's license picture taken, I tried to change my political party affiliation. For whatever reason, my choices were Democrat, Republican, Other, and None. But first, how I got there.

I registered as a Democrat when I first registered to vote, just before the '92 election. At that time, I was "kind of" liberal (for growing up in a somewhat rural area in western PA), and pretty much all of my relatives were registered that way, so it made sense. I was not really into politics at that young age, however.

As I got into my late 20s, I started to realize I was becoming more conservative, so a few years later, when it was time to renew my driver's license, I changed to Republican. I still remember the day at work when I told my coworker Anne that I was really a Republican. She told me she had known it for years. During the 2008 election, I was on board with John McCain running for president, mostly because I thought he was a good pe…

My first and hopefully my last biposy (or I would rather be at the beach)

This past Monday afternoon I had my biopsy. Up until Sunday night, I was not worried. In fact, I was never really concerned about having cancer; it was the needle part that bothered me. As it turns out, there is more than a needle; there is an actual incision. So it was not surprising that I only got a few hours of sleep. But on a positive note, I cruised right down the Parkway that morning, being the Monday before the 4th, so there was that.

I got there at the prescribed 30 minutes ahead of time; in fact, it was probably close to 35 minutes! I had to wait about 10 minutes, during which I could feel my seat vibrate (still not sure about that; I was tired but I don't think I was imaging it). Then I went back, changed, and waited in the "gowned waiting area" for no more than 5 minutes. Not even enough time to find out whose twins Jennifer Garner was pregnant with! WARNING: What follows will be detailed, though not too graphic.

Then I went back to a room, where someone as…