I wanted to get a quick post in, mostly so I could upload a picture of our "Good Things" box that I referenced in my last post. So far, I have managed to find at least one positive thing to put in every day, and some days I have had more than one. Truth be told, I could come up with at least a half dozen if I really wanted to, but I am going for quality, not quantity.
A few other things:
A few other things:
- I wish hockey season would start. I have a glimmer of hope, but it is tiny. Regardless, it was nice to see Team USA beat the Swedes today in the world junior hockey championships. I had never watched a hockey game at 8 a.m. but glad that today changed that. Worth noting is that four of Team USA's members hail from western PA. Equally as nice for me was watching those guys (kids, to me) enthusiastically sing the National Anthem after they had been awarded their gold medals. You just don't see that often.
- Today we "de-decorated." I feel a little bad about this because not only did we do this a day early (tomorrow is Epiphany, which is the end of the Christmas season in the church), but also because it means the holidays are really over. At least our house still smells of pine needles, because we vacuumed hundreds of them. This also means that for the next few times we vacuum, we will continue to smell pine needles, rather than (hopefully!) dog. It's the little things.
- It was kind of nice when a couple of the kids from school said to me that they wished I was their new Spanish teacher. I reminded them that I know very little Spanish, but they said that it was more important that I could teach.
- I know I should drop the four pounds I gained in the last four to six weeks, but, alas, we still have two boxes of candy left plus Girl Scout cookies have just gone on sale. If only I had some self-control.
- I don't want to talk too much about politics, but I will say these things: I am glad that taxes were not raised on the middle income people. I know we all have to make sacrifices, but considering the cost of everything has gone up in the past few years and the hubby has not had a raise in more years than that, I don't know how much more we can do. I also don't like that the payroll tax has gone back up for the same reason, but it was supposed to be a temporary thing, so I can accept it. Those things notwithstanding, spending cuts need to be made. I don't know in which areas, but the country cannot continue down this same path.
- Finally, here is the picture of the "Good Things" box. Jordan decided on the color scheme (the sides, which you cannot see, are orange) and doodads. Here's hoping we can continue to put good/positive things in there. Glass half full!