Skip to main content

Not really resolutions either

I don't typically do resolutions. Not exactly, anyway. I try to use the end of one year/beginning of the next to think of ways I can do things better or differently (or eliminate or add some things). But coming up with a list of (lofty) things almost always leads to some disappointment or failure.

Last year (in late January, in fact), I decided to write two thank-you notes per month. Unfortunately, I did not quite achieve that goal, but I did send out notes of appreciation in instances when I might not have normally. And times when, for whatever reason, I did not put pen to paper, I at least made sure I thanked people via the phone or email. Back in December, I called my aunt to thank her for the birthday card she sent me. She said she was touched that I would take the time to say thanks for a card when most people would not think to do that. I told her at my age, I hardly get any cards, so I was appreciative. I also sent that same aunt a thank-you note a few weeks later for opening her home to me and the kid to spend time with her daughters and their families when she and my uncle were not even there. I think it is nice to get unexpected "happy" mail. And I would still like to send thank-you notes in unexpected situations. But I want to do something different this year, even if it is a little selfish: I want to count my blessings and appreciate what I have more than what I normally do.

To that end, and sort of stealing from an idea I read on Facebook, I am writing down good/positive things that happened in a particular day and placing them in a shoebox, the "Good Things" box as I will call it. At the end of 2013, I should have a lot of slips of paper (and with any luck, several shoeboxes full of them). I don't expect to have something to write down every day, but I am hopeful with my glass-half-full attitude, I can come close. So far, on the first day of 2013, I spent the afternoon with a good friend and her family, which was the first thing to go into the box. I also talked to my little brother, my mom, my older brother, and my dad, in that order, which is a pretty good way to start off the year. Today, J and I had a nice girls lunch out, and we managed to get all the groceries I could remember into our cart and in the checkout line at Walmart in 12 minutes flat. Those things made it into the box as well.

There are many other things I can and should do better and differently. And if any of those come to pass, I will probably write about them here. For now, I am going to attempt this sort-of resolution. Because even though life is not perfect, and this world can be a pretty screwed-up place, there are still many things to be thankful for and appreciative of. Wish me luck! And I hope you too can find something good/positive daily or almost so.

Comments

Cassie said…
Oh, I like that idea! It's fun doing just one thing a day to remind yourself that life isn't that dang difficult. That's also the beauty of keeping a blog. I tend to keep it real, but honestly, when I'm being annoyingly positive, that's how it really is at the time. Same goes for the negatives. Life has ups and downs, but it's good to be reminded of the ups.

Good luck!
Facie said…
Thanks. So far, so good. The kid and I worked on decorating the box tonight. Now if only I could get motivated to do some other things...

Popular posts from this blog

Worry

Lately, I have had some anxiety. I have been waking up within an hour of when I fall asleep (partially because my bladder has its own timetable). And then I lie awake, worrying about various things. Mostly I worry that I am failing as a parent. I worry that I allow my child to be disrespectful to me more than she should. I worry that I am not forcing my shy child to do more things. And I worry that the few things I am pushing her to do will make her resent me. I worry that she gets stressed about school. I worry that she is bothered because she does not have a lot of friends. I worry because I don't know why that is.

I worry that we will be stuck in our house in our bad school district, a place where we would not send our child to high school when she graduates in two years (two years!). Then I worry that our somewhat introverted child will have to go to cyber school. Because there is just no way that we could afford to send her to Catholic high school, for which tuition is curren…

Why I am an "Other"

Last month while I was getting my driver's license picture taken, I tried to change my political party affiliation. For whatever reason, my choices were Democrat, Republican, Other, and None. But first, how I got there.

I registered as a Democrat when I first registered to vote, just before the '92 election. At that time, I was "kind of" liberal (for growing up in a somewhat rural area in western PA), and pretty much all of my relatives were registered that way, so it made sense. I was not really into politics at that young age, however.

As I got into my late 20s, I started to realize I was becoming more conservative, so a few years later, when it was time to renew my driver's license, I changed to Republican. I still remember the day at work when I told my coworker Anne that I was really a Republican. She told me she had known it for years. During the 2008 election, I was on board with John McCain running for president, mostly because I thought he was a good pe…

Calamityware for unique holiday gifts

I have been really lousy at blogging during 2016, for several reasons (some of which I don't even know). One big reason is time: Between working full time and helping promote Calamityware, plus having a small family and doing the occasional social thing, there is not a lot of time left to put thought into blogs. [Sadly, I can put hours into FB, but that is mostly my reading and not thinking, and perhaps writing short comments. :-)]

Anyway, since we are now in the middle of the holiday (shopping) season, I thought I would again promote Calamityware. If you are like me, you have a few people on your gift list who are really challenging to buy for. That is where Calamityware may come in handy. Following are the unique, quirky, fun, and even some beautiful items you can purchase here:
Various porcelain plates adorned with fun things like frogs, zombie poodles, pterodactyls, tentacles, a volcano, a vortex, and more; buy a plate or one of the series of fourSoup bowls with fly (1 fly per …