Skip to main content

"Arrive as strangers. Leave as friends." (or I accidentally had two drinks)

I really could not decide on the better post title to aptly describe the blogger dinner I went to Saturday night, so I used them both, probably creating the world's longest blog post title! Considering this is going to be a long post, it kind of makes sense.

So here is how it went, blow by blow (get your popcorn ready):

Brian thought with the nearly always awful traffic on the Parkway East combined with a Pirates game and a closed exit that I should leave at 4:30 for the 6 p.m. dinner. I figured that 4:45 would be safe. In reality, even with a traffic backup at the North Shore, I was driving past the restaurant at 5:20. Unfortunately, the restaurant is BYOB and does not have a bar, so I had a dilemma. After driving around for six or seven minutes, I noticed a bar a block or two up the street, so I parked near it. As I was walking to the bar, I thought back to a time in '94 or '95 when I walked into a bar near the campus of IUP one weekday afternoon. I had hoped and assumed that some guy would buy me a drink. I was not disappointed. Fast-forward 17 or 18 years when I am a married parent, and I was kind of hoping the same thing. At 40, sometimes you want to think you still have it. Or at least some of it. Whatever it is.)

I took a deep breath, walked into this dive of a loud place, and ordered a beer. As the bartender handed it to me, he said something about Paul doing something. When the bartender walked away without asking me for any money, I assumed some guy named Paul bought me a beer. After another minute, a guy sitting near me pulled a stool over for me, and I thanked him. About 10 minutes later, the same guy introduced himself as Paul, asked me what I was doing here,  and said he wanted to buy everyone a drink. Paul then explained he knows the owner of La Tavolla and asked that I tell the owner hi.

I watched some of the Pirates game (how 'bout them Buccos?!) and drank about 2/3 of my beer when I noticed a guy down at the end of the bar motion towards me as he talked to the bartender. A few seconds later, the bartender handed me a drink chip, courtesy of Gavin. As one who hardly drinks, having a second drink in the same half hour would be challenging, but I would have felt bad leaving the drink chip there, so I took one for the team. A few minutes after 6, I went down to Gavin to thank him, and he too told me to tell someone at La Tavolla hi. Both Paul and Gavin suggested I get some libations to go, but I was all set there, and then they both suggested that I bring the group back afterwards. As I walked out the place into the blazing hot sun, I decided walking was a good choice.

Upon entering the restaurant, I noticed a long table, and figured that had to be our group. I introduced myself to several bloggers, and I explained that I accidentally had two drinks, so I was unsure how I would remember anyone's name. Within a few minutes, I saw Bluz from Darwinfish walk in so I went up to him (fortunately Bluz posts pictures of himself on his blog). And within another minute or so, I got to meet Carpetbagger and his lovely wife. Not much after that, I decided to sit down, and I ended up next to Bluz, his friend Kelly (who recently started a blog) and her sister, and I was across from Carpetbagger and his wife. There were four empty seats next to me, so I figured I would get to talk to Red Pen Mama, whose blog I also read, and/or this couple who used to write a blog. Unfortunately, those people were unable to make it. But I had plenty of elbow room on the right side!

Throughout the evening, I talked to Bagger's wife the most; she is really interesting and said she hopes to do a 500-mile hike in Spain. I explained to that group how the name Facie came about, and Bluz talked about his handle. We talked about blog posts, blogging, pets, jobs, the Pirates, and a little about Sandusky, among other things. Politics never even came up, but I would have been okay if they had. Admittedly, the first 30 minutes was a bit of a haze, but the conversation pretty much kept flowing the entire time.

After my delicious dinner of pasta with vodka sauce (it was so good, I decided it deserved to be bold-faced) was consumed, Ginny from That's Church walked in with her two kids. I am always impressed with her recall ability. When I introduced myself to her last summer at a Kate and Peter's treehouse meeting, she remembered me as the person who emailed her about Amy from Callapitter. Now, one year later, she sees me and still remembers me. I did not talk to her a lot (Bluz pretty much hogged her!), but I did spend about 10 minutes talking to her elementary-aged son, who managed to detail every infraction and resulting punishment involving his fellow classmates (and some older kids for good measure), whether it was in the classroom, the cafeteria, or the bus. I was surprised he was so chatty considering the third thing I asked him (after the typical name and grade question) was what is 8 x 8. Ginny left a bit later, after pretty much dragging her kid out of there, and mouthed a thank you to me.

The remaining people there talked about going to Station Square for a drink or two. I bowed out, since my two drinks from earlier were safely out of my system and I wanted to keep it that way, and I said my good byes. The only downside of the evening was that I did not get to talk to everyone. I wish I had gotten up and spent some time with the ladies from Sisters from Different Misters, Leelafish, and Running on Wine, down at the other end of the table. About a week before the dinner, I did check out their sites. That evening I learned that Leelafish, who had come all the way from Louisiana, met one of the other ladies (I forget who!) via their blogs and became really good friends. In fact, Leelafish was actually staying with them while in Pittsburgh. How cool is that?!

Next time I hope we end up someplace with a giant round table (because so many restaurants have round tables that can seat over 20 people). Or it might just be nice if I took it upon myself to really talk to everyone. I guess not really knowing the others was a bit too intimidating for me (had they been seated next to me, I am sure I would have been fine).

Oh, and about the first half of my title post. That was a saying above one of the doorways in the restaurants. Bluz said he was going to snap a picture before he left. You will have to check out his site probably tomorrow (he is in the Burgh until today)  if you are interested in more details of the evening as well as some pictures. Regardless, that saying was pretty appropriate for the evening for me, since I came in having never met anyone and left feeling as if some of these people had been my friends for years. But thanks to blogging, in a way they really have been. :-)

Comments

bluzdude said…
1. Sorry about hogging PittGirl. I was too excited to think clearly. (And the wine didn't help either...)

2. I totally forgot to take a picture of the sign. (See above excuse.)

3. I REALLY want to do the round table thing. It's so hard when you have that many people at a long table. I hardly got to talk to Cassie, Bethany or Jessica, OR their husbands (who left early.) When we had the last bloggers' meet-up at Baggers' house, at least we could more easily get up and roam around to talk to everyone.

4. Carpetbagger met Kelly, her sister and I down at Bar Louie, but it was really crowded. We ended up walking back to the Doubletree and enjoying the night air.

5. It was so nice to finally meet you. I hope you had a good time, down on the south end of the table. I hope you'll come back and join us for the next one!
Facie said…
Bluz: I fixed the title (from the saying/sign). Oops! Buca di Beppo has (or had) the Pope's table, which is a round table that seats a good number, but probably not enough for this group. Glad that you at least got to enjoy the walk. And probably the incline ride down too. God willin' the creek don't rise, I plan to be back. Thanks! (And for the record, totally kidding about Ginny.)

Popular posts from this blog

What a year 2021 has been (Day 7)

I have almost no words for what happened yesterday at the Capitol. Protesting is one thing (though I truly think it is and has been time to move on). But to storm the Capitol? A friend on Facebook said, quite simply, " Almost 20 years ago a group of people on an airplane sacrificed themselves to protect the Capitol. How far we have fallen!" Indeed. And, yes, it IS storming the Capitol. I have seen numerous videos of people knocking down barricades/fences, pushing police officers, and breaking windows and climbing through them. That is beyond protesting. And even if a protestor did not do those things, if they followed those seditionists past those barricades and into the building, they are just as guilty. I did not support the violent protests this summer that resulted in damages to businesses and public property (I was in full support of the actual protests). But I also acknowledged as a white person, I cannot truly put myself in the position of a black person who is angry a

Melancholy and Gratitude

 A few days ago, I decided to do gratitude posts on FB. I was good the first two days. Day 3 I got a little snarky as I posted about "doing the right thing" in regards to Covid. The Covid cases in Allegheny County have been on the rise. For a while, we had daily counts between 50 and 100. After July 4, we saw a spike for a few weeks, and then cases were back below 100. Unfortunately, other than one "low" day this week, where "only" 288 cases were reported, we have had between 500 and 620 daily cases. Fortunately, only a few people have died this week. But of course, any death is too many. I started to keep track of cases, deaths, and hospitalizations on 6/12/20. On that day, since 3/12, Allegheny County had had 2,034 cases, 352 people had been hospitalized, and 172 people had died. On 11/19/20, the county has seen a total of 22,042 cases, 1,724 people have been hospitalized, and 465 people have died from Covid since 3/12. In just over 8 months, we have had

Hug your loved ones!

I hate to say that I am still working through my grief. I mean, in some ways I can imagine I will always be grieving. But I feel pretty confident it will get easier, and I will cry less and less. But, yeah, I guess I am still working through it. Yesterday, a thought occurred to me: I had not hugged my dad since the end of February, and that will now be the last time I ever did. I did not see him for almost three months because of COVID, and then at the end of May, he started his series of hospital visits with skilled nursing stints in between. I was always afraid to hug him then. What if I gave him COVID? And yet when my dad had really bad ICU delirium during a few different hospital stays, I fed him. If I could do that, why not hug him? So I cried a bit last night thinking about that. I am not necessarily a big hugger; I used to hate it, and then probably before Jordan was born, I got back to doing it again. Before COVID, I hugged my friends goodbye (and sometimes hello). I always wou