Skip to main content

The apple does not fall far from the tree

It's funny (and not funny, ha ha) how when you have a baby, you think that it cannot possibly get any harder than this, with the lack of sleeping and the constant worry about almost everything. But as your kids grow up, you realize just how easy you had it back in the day.

This morning, I read an article about a mother who choked the boy who was bullying her daughter. Before I even read past the headline, I found myself almost siding with the mom. I would never do anything like that; after all, I am the one, unlike hubby, who tells my kid to turn the other cheek. But I can see how as a parent you could become so frustrated, worried, angry, etc., that you could be pushed to that point.

As both a parent and educator (albeit not too regularly for the latter), bullying concerns me. It is sometimes difficult to determine when it is just teasing/being mean and when it has gone beyond that. Of course it would be great if everyone just got along all the time and no one was ever mean to anyone else, but that is just not the real world. So how do you draw the line and know when to take action?

Last week, a mom was saying how she could not believe that parents would let their kids have a uni-brow or hair above their lips. I sat there in silence because my kid does, in fact, have a bit of a uni-brow (and this woman was probably talking about my kid). But I thought at eight, my kid could live with it. C'mon, am I going to pluck her eyebrows or take her for a waxing?! Yet now I am second guessing myself. I don't want my kid to be teased for something I could take care of. As a fourth grader, I remember being made fun of for my hairy legs. I don't know if I ever cried about the taunting, but the fact that I still remember it, over 30 years later, tells me it was pretty hurtful.

And then there is the whole keeping up with Joneses, which, much like my parents, I don't care so much about. Quite a few of J's friends have iPods and they "FaceTime" each other (I have no idea if that is a verb; up until a few weeks ago, I had never even heard of FaceTime). Not surprisingly, after spending a few hours with friends who had iPods, J asked me if she could have one for her birthday. I, being clueless about technology, consulted a friend who is always up these things, and she informed me that an iPod with FaceTime capability costs $200. What?! Parents actually spend that kind of money on their kids for something like that?!

I don't miss diapers and I am glad that my kid sleeps through the night, but these are the times that try parents' souls.

Comments

Shannon W. said…
I agree no 8 year old should have to worry about eyebrow plucking/ waxing!!!

IMO if she expresses an early interest in caring about these things (shaving/ plucking), then it is probably time to let her start.

My daughter is also 8 (Fall B-day so just finished 2nd grade; also in Pittsburgh). She argues with me about taking a bath. I can't imagine her plucking or shaving yet.


I am also finding the ipod and cell phone issues hard to navigate. I think she is too young but I don't want her to be the last in the class either.

Luckily, she seems happy with the MP3 player that we got her for her 8th birthday and did not ask for an iPod for Christmas. The internet access worries me and I basically think she can play music on her MP3 player and games (which she is not very interested in anyway)on her DS.

The phone issue is easier for me. She has asked; she has told me who has them in her class; but it is clear to me she doesn't need one and I"m not paying for it.
Facie said…
Shannon: Thanks for sharing; it helps to hear from others who are, more or less, in my position. I actually did ask J today if she wanted to do something about her eyebrows and she said yes, so I figured one of those creams would be okay. She is not yet bothered by the hair on her legs, but based on my experiences near that age, I will probably let her shave once she asks, even though she is still so young!

I am happy to say that she told me she does not care about FaceTime; she only wants to play the games that you apparently can on one of those iPods. Internet is scary. Just the other day she told me she wanted to find a mermaid spell because a girl in her class told her she found one on the Internet. Ugh!
bluzdude said…
It was my experience that turning the other cheek did't get you anything but a smack on the other side too. I'd probably opt for strangling the other kid too.
Facie said…
Bluz: In my experiences, you have been pretty right, unfortunately.

I am trying to figure out how I feel about the bully's mom pressing charges. As a parent, I would be alarmed if my kid came home from with a red neck and told me that a parent did that, but I also take the other side before my own kid's, even though my kid is pretty honest.
Anonymous said…
I'm all for the bullying of other moms.

My god, eight year olds are eight year olds, not fashion models. All you have to do is go to a high school reunion to see that the plain looking kids grow up into the best looking adults. Most of the "good looking" kids end up fat and bald and or addicted to plastic surgery.

Ug, I can't imagine parenting in the age of Facebook, texting, and Skype. Hang in there.
Facie said…
Thanks, Bagger, I am trying!

Popular posts from this blog

What a year 2021 has been (Day 7)

I have almost no words for what happened yesterday at the Capitol. Protesting is one thing (though I truly think it is and has been time to move on). But to storm the Capitol? A friend on Facebook said, quite simply, " Almost 20 years ago a group of people on an airplane sacrificed themselves to protect the Capitol. How far we have fallen!" Indeed. And, yes, it IS storming the Capitol. I have seen numerous videos of people knocking down barricades/fences, pushing police officers, and breaking windows and climbing through them. That is beyond protesting. And even if a protestor did not do those things, if they followed those seditionists past those barricades and into the building, they are just as guilty. I did not support the violent protests this summer that resulted in damages to businesses and public property (I was in full support of the actual protests). But I also acknowledged as a white person, I cannot truly put myself in the position of a black person who is angry a

Melancholy and Gratitude

 A few days ago, I decided to do gratitude posts on FB. I was good the first two days. Day 3 I got a little snarky as I posted about "doing the right thing" in regards to Covid. The Covid cases in Allegheny County have been on the rise. For a while, we had daily counts between 50 and 100. After July 4, we saw a spike for a few weeks, and then cases were back below 100. Unfortunately, other than one "low" day this week, where "only" 288 cases were reported, we have had between 500 and 620 daily cases. Fortunately, only a few people have died this week. But of course, any death is too many. I started to keep track of cases, deaths, and hospitalizations on 6/12/20. On that day, since 3/12, Allegheny County had had 2,034 cases, 352 people had been hospitalized, and 172 people had died. On 11/19/20, the county has seen a total of 22,042 cases, 1,724 people have been hospitalized, and 465 people have died from Covid since 3/12. In just over 8 months, we have had

Hug your loved ones!

I hate to say that I am still working through my grief. I mean, in some ways I can imagine I will always be grieving. But I feel pretty confident it will get easier, and I will cry less and less. But, yeah, I guess I am still working through it. Yesterday, a thought occurred to me: I had not hugged my dad since the end of February, and that will now be the last time I ever did. I did not see him for almost three months because of COVID, and then at the end of May, he started his series of hospital visits with skilled nursing stints in between. I was always afraid to hug him then. What if I gave him COVID? And yet when my dad had really bad ICU delirium during a few different hospital stays, I fed him. If I could do that, why not hug him? So I cried a bit last night thinking about that. I am not necessarily a big hugger; I used to hate it, and then probably before Jordan was born, I got back to doing it again. Before COVID, I hugged my friends goodbye (and sometimes hello). I always wou