Skip to main content

Would you call the police?

In the past few days, I have read in the paper/saw on the news two heinous acts against children. A boyfriend of some woman beat her 11-year-old son over the course of a nine-hour period, and the boy eventually died. I won't go into any more details, other than to add that the mother waited over an hour after she got home before calling 911, because what I just wrote is so disturbing as it is. Then last night, I saw on the news (and read this morning) that another boyfriend of another woman sexually assaulted a three-month old.

I am so incredibly sickened and angered by this. What normal person would not be?

And that is the thing: these people cannot be normal.There are lacking something, but what I do not know.

In the first horrendous crime, some neighbors who were interviewed cried, saying they should have done something.

This made me wonder, how many people hear screams or crying down the street or down the hall and actually call the police. Would you?

I am one of those people who has done just that on multiple occasions. I first called the police back in 1997 or 1998, when I lived in an apartment building. I heard the teenager upstairs crying/screaming, and it sounded as if she was getting pushed around. The police came, and I later discovered that it was the dad who was disciplining her (one can only hope it was just that). The dad knew I called, but at least I never heard anything like that again. Who knows what ultimately happened to those people.

In my current neighborhood, I have called the police when I have heard the sounds of people fighting or screaming after dark. It is scary, but I would rather be safe than be sorry, not only for the people involved but for the welfare of the neighborhood in general.

I realize it may just be a couple arguing. Or a parent could be spanking her kid (it is not illegal). And there is the risk that if it is a man (or woman) beating his (or her) partner or child, it could get worse after the police come and leave. But I just cannot help thinking that if you do not err on the side of caution, you might end up reading about your dead neighbor in the paper the next day.

Yeah, pretty sobering, scary thought.

Comments

Sherri said…
Yes - call. If you have an odd feeling enough to entertain the thought - call. Good move on your part to do so. So many times, people don't.
MamaRoc said…
I definitely do not hesitate to call. People can be annoyed with me - better that noone ends up dead.

I just decided this morning that I'm giving up the news for Lent. I can't take these stories of little people (didn't even see the three-month-old one yet)being abused.

I'm still haunted by the stories of that guy that left his 2-yr-old on the playground at night where she froze to death (because she only had a blanket and diaper). What can a 2-year-old do to warrant that exactly?

It is sickening, sobering and extremely sad. How can we have this many crazy people in the world?
Facie said…
Glad you ladies agree, though I know at times, hubby and I have yelled at each other louder than we should have, and I can't help but think how embarrassing it would be if someone called the police. But, again, I guess it is better to be safe than sorry.

MamaRoc: Good plan for Lent. I showed some restraint yesterday by not reading the negative child-related AP News article on my FiOS widget.

Popular posts from this blog

What a year 2021 has been (Day 7)

I have almost no words for what happened yesterday at the Capitol. Protesting is one thing (though I truly think it is and has been time to move on). But to storm the Capitol? A friend on Facebook said, quite simply, " Almost 20 years ago a group of people on an airplane sacrificed themselves to protect the Capitol. How far we have fallen!" Indeed. And, yes, it IS storming the Capitol. I have seen numerous videos of people knocking down barricades/fences, pushing police officers, and breaking windows and climbing through them. That is beyond protesting. And even if a protestor did not do those things, if they followed those seditionists past those barricades and into the building, they are just as guilty. I did not support the violent protests this summer that resulted in damages to businesses and public property (I was in full support of the actual protests). But I also acknowledged as a white person, I cannot truly put myself in the position of a black person who is angry a

Melancholy and Gratitude

 A few days ago, I decided to do gratitude posts on FB. I was good the first two days. Day 3 I got a little snarky as I posted about "doing the right thing" in regards to Covid. The Covid cases in Allegheny County have been on the rise. For a while, we had daily counts between 50 and 100. After July 4, we saw a spike for a few weeks, and then cases were back below 100. Unfortunately, other than one "low" day this week, where "only" 288 cases were reported, we have had between 500 and 620 daily cases. Fortunately, only a few people have died this week. But of course, any death is too many. I started to keep track of cases, deaths, and hospitalizations on 6/12/20. On that day, since 3/12, Allegheny County had had 2,034 cases, 352 people had been hospitalized, and 172 people had died. On 11/19/20, the county has seen a total of 22,042 cases, 1,724 people have been hospitalized, and 465 people have died from Covid since 3/12. In just over 8 months, we have had

Hug your loved ones!

I hate to say that I am still working through my grief. I mean, in some ways I can imagine I will always be grieving. But I feel pretty confident it will get easier, and I will cry less and less. But, yeah, I guess I am still working through it. Yesterday, a thought occurred to me: I had not hugged my dad since the end of February, and that will now be the last time I ever did. I did not see him for almost three months because of COVID, and then at the end of May, he started his series of hospital visits with skilled nursing stints in between. I was always afraid to hug him then. What if I gave him COVID? And yet when my dad had really bad ICU delirium during a few different hospital stays, I fed him. If I could do that, why not hug him? So I cried a bit last night thinking about that. I am not necessarily a big hugger; I used to hate it, and then probably before Jordan was born, I got back to doing it again. Before COVID, I hugged my friends goodbye (and sometimes hello). I always wou