Skip to main content

Would you call the police?

In the past few days, I have read in the paper/saw on the news two heinous acts against children. A boyfriend of some woman beat her 11-year-old son over the course of a nine-hour period, and the boy eventually died. I won't go into any more details, other than to add that the mother waited over an hour after she got home before calling 911, because what I just wrote is so disturbing as it is. Then last night, I saw on the news (and read this morning) that another boyfriend of another woman sexually assaulted a three-month old.

I am so incredibly sickened and angered by this. What normal person would not be?

And that is the thing: these people cannot be normal.There are lacking something, but what I do not know.

In the first horrendous crime, some neighbors who were interviewed cried, saying they should have done something.

This made me wonder, how many people hear screams or crying down the street or down the hall and actually call the police. Would you?

I am one of those people who has done just that on multiple occasions. I first called the police back in 1997 or 1998, when I lived in an apartment building. I heard the teenager upstairs crying/screaming, and it sounded as if she was getting pushed around. The police came, and I later discovered that it was the dad who was disciplining her (one can only hope it was just that). The dad knew I called, but at least I never heard anything like that again. Who knows what ultimately happened to those people.

In my current neighborhood, I have called the police when I have heard the sounds of people fighting or screaming after dark. It is scary, but I would rather be safe than be sorry, not only for the people involved but for the welfare of the neighborhood in general.

I realize it may just be a couple arguing. Or a parent could be spanking her kid (it is not illegal). And there is the risk that if it is a man (or woman) beating his (or her) partner or child, it could get worse after the police come and leave. But I just cannot help thinking that if you do not err on the side of caution, you might end up reading about your dead neighbor in the paper the next day.

Yeah, pretty sobering, scary thought.

Comments

Sherri said…
Yes - call. If you have an odd feeling enough to entertain the thought - call. Good move on your part to do so. So many times, people don't.
MamaRoc said…
I definitely do not hesitate to call. People can be annoyed with me - better that noone ends up dead.

I just decided this morning that I'm giving up the news for Lent. I can't take these stories of little people (didn't even see the three-month-old one yet)being abused.

I'm still haunted by the stories of that guy that left his 2-yr-old on the playground at night where she froze to death (because she only had a blanket and diaper). What can a 2-year-old do to warrant that exactly?

It is sickening, sobering and extremely sad. How can we have this many crazy people in the world?
Facie said…
Glad you ladies agree, though I know at times, hubby and I have yelled at each other louder than we should have, and I can't help but think how embarrassing it would be if someone called the police. But, again, I guess it is better to be safe than sorry.

MamaRoc: Good plan for Lent. I showed some restraint yesterday by not reading the negative child-related AP News article on my FiOS widget.

Popular posts from this blog

Worry

Lately, I have had some anxiety. I have been waking up within an hour of when I fall asleep (partially because my bladder has its own timetable). And then I lie awake, worrying about various things. Mostly I worry that I am failing as a parent. I worry that I allow my child to be disrespectful to me more than she should. I worry that I am not forcing my shy child to do more things. And I worry that the few things I am pushing her to do will make her resent me. I worry that she gets stressed about school. I worry that she is bothered because she does not have a lot of friends. I worry because I don't know why that is.

I worry that we will be stuck in our house in our bad school district, a place where we would not send our child to high school when she graduates in two years (two years!). Then I worry that our somewhat introverted child will have to go to cyber school. Because there is just no way that we could afford to send her to Catholic high school, for which tuition is curren…

Why I am an "Other"

Last month while I was getting my driver's license picture taken, I tried to change my political party affiliation. For whatever reason, my choices were Democrat, Republican, Other, and None. But first, how I got there.

I registered as a Democrat when I first registered to vote, just before the '92 election. At that time, I was "kind of" liberal (for growing up in a somewhat rural area in western PA), and pretty much all of my relatives were registered that way, so it made sense. I was not really into politics at that young age, however.

As I got into my late 20s, I started to realize I was becoming more conservative, so a few years later, when it was time to renew my driver's license, I changed to Republican. I still remember the day at work when I told my coworker Anne that I was really a Republican. She told me she had known it for years. During the 2008 election, I was on board with John McCain running for president, mostly because I thought he was a good pe…

My first and hopefully my last biposy (or I would rather be at the beach)

This past Monday afternoon I had my biopsy. Up until Sunday night, I was not worried. In fact, I was never really concerned about having cancer; it was the needle part that bothered me. As it turns out, there is more than a needle; there is an actual incision. So it was not surprising that I only got a few hours of sleep. But on a positive note, I cruised right down the Parkway that morning, being the Monday before the 4th, so there was that.

I got there at the prescribed 30 minutes ahead of time; in fact, it was probably close to 35 minutes! I had to wait about 10 minutes, during which I could feel my seat vibrate (still not sure about that; I was tired but I don't think I was imaging it). Then I went back, changed, and waited in the "gowned waiting area" for no more than 5 minutes. Not even enough time to find out whose twins Jennifer Garner was pregnant with! WARNING: What follows will be detailed, though not too graphic.

Then I went back to a room, where someone as…