Skip to main content

Something long ago forgotten (and I still wish it were)

A few days after the Penn State story broke, I was reminded of something in high school, something I have probably not thought about in over or at least close to 20 years. Something quite honestly I would rather forget. But even my sorry memory still works every now and again.

When I was a senior in high school, a friend of mine told me her stepfather was molesting her.

When this memory came back to me, I immediately felt guilty. I questioned why I did not tell a teacher or my parents. Was it fear? Was I thinking I was somehow protecting my friend by keeping quiet? I honestly don't recall if she asked me not to tell anyone, though I am guessing probably. This friend was close to a teacher, whom I seem to recall she told. It seems likely I thought that since he knew, I did not need to get anyone else involved. I also remember that my friend was seeing a therapist, so maybe at the time I figured what else could I do. But if I have learned anything from the sordid Penn State story, you should never assume someone else is taking care of something.

We (well, at least I) want to believe the best about people. When I am confronted with something contrary to that, I often have a hard time wrapping my head around it (see my posts regarding things others said my kid did, which she denied). Did I think my friend was making this up? Maybe. I do recall wondering why she was getting in the car with her stepfather when this was going on. But as a 16- or 17-year-old, I probably could not process what was going on as well as an adult could or should. I had a good family; didn't everyone? How can an adult do something like that? She said her mom know, so why would her mom let it keep happening?

I will be 40 in just over two weeks. I don't see the world today in the same way I did when I was in high school (or in college, or even in my 20s). And as a parent and a teacher, I have pretty strong views about children. I can assure you that if a child came to me today and said she was being abused in any way, I would take action. But I can also say what I would do would depend on who told me, where (school versus at a social outing) that person told me, and what exactly was said.

I hope that friend from high school is doing okay. In fact, I may reach out to her sibling on Facebook to ask. But I hope even more that people will get involved rather than shy away from what is uncomfortable. Sometimes doing nothing is even worse than doing something.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Don't beat yourself up about this, not saying you are. You were pretty much a child then. Being her friend you probably did the best you could. So sorry for her.
LaLa said…
How awful for that girl. I agree with the other commentor that you did what you could do. I find it disturbing that this girl's mom knew about this. I wonder if the teacher did something. I hope the girl was making this up, how awful otherwise.
Facie said…
Thanks for the comments. The more I thought about it (and even as I was writing the post), the more I remembered, particularly that there was a therapist involved and that the mom knew (when I started the post, I had not recalled either of those things). For those reasons alone, I felt less guilty than I did when I started the post.

Still, I think I will sit down with my kid someday and tell her what she should do if ever confronted with this situation. But as a kid, if the adults won't help, what else can you do? I did not see anything firsthand after all (which IMO makes JoePa less culpable than McQueary).

I actually did ask the sibling of my friend how friend was doing and to tell her I asked about her. Sibling said she was doing well. Maybe she really has moved on and life is good. I hope so.

Popular posts from this blog

What a year 2021 has been (Day 7)

I have almost no words for what happened yesterday at the Capitol. Protesting is one thing (though I truly think it is and has been time to move on). But to storm the Capitol? A friend on Facebook said, quite simply, " Almost 20 years ago a group of people on an airplane sacrificed themselves to protect the Capitol. How far we have fallen!" Indeed. And, yes, it IS storming the Capitol. I have seen numerous videos of people knocking down barricades/fences, pushing police officers, and breaking windows and climbing through them. That is beyond protesting. And even if a protestor did not do those things, if they followed those seditionists past those barricades and into the building, they are just as guilty. I did not support the violent protests this summer that resulted in damages to businesses and public property (I was in full support of the actual protests). But I also acknowledged as a white person, I cannot truly put myself in the position of a black person who is angry a

Melancholy and Gratitude

 A few days ago, I decided to do gratitude posts on FB. I was good the first two days. Day 3 I got a little snarky as I posted about "doing the right thing" in regards to Covid. The Covid cases in Allegheny County have been on the rise. For a while, we had daily counts between 50 and 100. After July 4, we saw a spike for a few weeks, and then cases were back below 100. Unfortunately, other than one "low" day this week, where "only" 288 cases were reported, we have had between 500 and 620 daily cases. Fortunately, only a few people have died this week. But of course, any death is too many. I started to keep track of cases, deaths, and hospitalizations on 6/12/20. On that day, since 3/12, Allegheny County had had 2,034 cases, 352 people had been hospitalized, and 172 people had died. On 11/19/20, the county has seen a total of 22,042 cases, 1,724 people have been hospitalized, and 465 people have died from Covid since 3/12. In just over 8 months, we have had

Hug your loved ones!

I hate to say that I am still working through my grief. I mean, in some ways I can imagine I will always be grieving. But I feel pretty confident it will get easier, and I will cry less and less. But, yeah, I guess I am still working through it. Yesterday, a thought occurred to me: I had not hugged my dad since the end of February, and that will now be the last time I ever did. I did not see him for almost three months because of COVID, and then at the end of May, he started his series of hospital visits with skilled nursing stints in between. I was always afraid to hug him then. What if I gave him COVID? And yet when my dad had really bad ICU delirium during a few different hospital stays, I fed him. If I could do that, why not hug him? So I cried a bit last night thinking about that. I am not necessarily a big hugger; I used to hate it, and then probably before Jordan was born, I got back to doing it again. Before COVID, I hugged my friends goodbye (and sometimes hello). I always wou