Skip to main content

This might be the most idiotic article I have ever read (or Yes, I am pretty sad when it come to technology)

It is pretty rare for me to write a post not even 24 hours after I posted my last one. But I read a supremely annoying article on Yahoo today (from the New York Times), and I had to comment on it. Here is the link, if you want to read it for yourself. In the meantime, let me summarize: You can apparently do almost everything you would ever want to do (and things you probably did not even know were possible) with a smart phone. Therefore, you don't need a point-and-shoot digital camera, a camcorder, a GPS system, or a digital music player. And apparently the desktop computer and thumb drive have gone the way of the dinosaurs.

Excuse me while I go throw out all of those things and go directly to nearest Apple store so I can buy a super-smart phone. I also need to burn my desktop computer, but how about if I finish this post first, okay?

We have a quite-old desktop computer. This may be a bad example, because the computer is now at the point where it turns itself off several times a day. Good times. But it is what you would expect from a seven- or eight-year old model, which has served us well over the years. I actually prefer it to the laptop that Brian's grandmother gave us, and not just because there is something wrong with the laptop battery which pretty much makes it a desktop computer. I don't need to take a laptop with me everywhere; I just don't find it necessary to be that "connected." In fact, Brian is trying to get me a replacement part(s) for my dinosaur computer because it will be much cheaper than our buying a laptop. Sorry, Times article writer, but I have to go with cost on this one. I also use a thumb drive (I guess that is the same thing as what I call a memory stick?) to copy/store various files "just in case." And I burn files and pictures to a CD once or twice a year, which probably is something the old folks did years ago, I am guessing.

We have a GPS unit from two or three years ago. Brian uses it when he travels for work, which is not often, and it mostly gets the job done (sure, it could use some updating). He would have to pay extra for a GPS app, not worth the $20 or so a month when the GPS is paid for. Me? I like looking up where I am going on Google and printing it out or writing it down. I also had AAA do a triptik for me when I drove to NC last year. Yes, I am clearly almost 40 (and should probably be 60).

My several-years-old digital camera is also not the greatest, but it takes far better pics than my "stupid" (i.e., not smart) phone. If I am out and without my camera, the cell phone is an okay replacement, but I would never use it to take "important" pictures (Christmas card, kid's concert, etc.). But perhaps these oh-so-spectacular smart phones take amazing pictures.

Because my digital camera also has video recording, I don't need a camcorder (I think ours is from when we got married; we never use it), so I can probably agree with the writer on that one. Unfortunately, my cell phone does not have video; if I had realized it when I upgraded last summer (for free, thanks to Verizon's "New Every Two" plan), I would have gone with another, less stupid phone with video. Oh, well.

It makes perfect sense that the Times writer said that the mp3 player is something you can probably lose since mine is only just over a year old and is not the super-cool i-whatever that the hip crowd uses anyway. Regardless, even though I like to listen to music, I don't download songs onto my cell phone or mp3 player; it is not worth the money for me (do you see a theme here?), and the memory on my phone is so limited. But I can't imagine people who are really into music could fit their entire library on their smart phone anyway. And even though I don't often use my mp3 player, it did come in handy while at the park with Jordan a few weeks ago so I could listen to the Pens game. I have also used it to hear the radio people during TV sporting events (because some national commentators are so anti-Pittsburgh). I would not have wanted to drain my cell phone battery instead. (If I had not almost been run over while running with an mp3 player, I would use my mp3 player for that.)

All those things aside, I think the article misses an important point: Relying on one small and expensive piece of equipment for so many things is pretty risky. I won't lose my desktop computer. I have yet to misplace my digital camera (surprisingly the same is true of my MP3 player and thumb drive), yet to his point, I do have more things to keep track of. But I know so many people who have lost or dropped their cell phones. My one sister-in-law has gone through numerous phones because they get wet, a kid chews on it, etc. Brian has an i-phone, through work. He has to charge it a lot, since he takes all his calls on it. Sure, he has downloaded some cool apps, but I think I am doing just fine without all those bells and whistles.

Yes, I am a bit of a technophobe. But do we really need all that stuff, particularly when the stuff we already have works fine (or good enough, anyway)? When my cell phone contract is up next spring, I may give in and get a smart phone; after all, I will probably be one of only 12 people in the entire country who does not have one by then (I know my buddy Mel will be right with me!). But cost will be an issue. Until then, I am hopeful I will survive without a smart phone and a working laptop. Wish me luck!

Comments

Sherri said…
OK - I saw this article too. I am not a technophobe, and I love my iPhone, but... I was so confused. What?!?! Get rid of my computer but keep a bunch of other stuff. Who is this guy - or whoever it was - to tell me how to handle my photos, videos, cable, etc.
chris h. said…
I laughed out loud at "I would have gone with another, less stupid phone..."

I only even got a cell phone a couple years ago and rarely use it, even though it is now our "home phone" as well. Maybe when it can cook, do laundry, and wash dishes, I'll consider upgrading. But I'm quite happy with my camera, tiny MP3 player, and desktop and laptop computers. (I guess if all the "typing" you do is texting, a phone is fine.)

I hate our GPS -- "Thomas" has send us down many a twisted path -- so I am a Mapquest/Mapblast user too. And yes, Triptiks!

I guess I am officially a dinosaur (and you whippersnappers get off my lawn!).
Mel said…
Oh, I'm with you all right--no smartphone in this house. I don't want any piece of technology that's smarter than I am. Besides, we are plotting our quiet escape into the hills because ALL of these gizmos will be rendered useless and without value when the economy collapses and the modern, "civilized" world descends into chaos. I'll hold onto things that can be traded for food, animals, guns, or wood to burn. Other than that? No, thank you.
Facie said…
Sherri, that makes me feel better hearing you say that! Glad I could make you LOL, Chris, and happy to hear I am not alone in my directions-gathering!

On a sad/pathetic note, yesterday I got a request to be a yahoo messenger contact for a friend (who has a yahoo email). I accepted it, not thinking much of it. Then today, said friend tried to chat, asking if I would take a quick test for some project. I said yes and clicked on the link. Before I started the test, however, I thought I should probably make sure it was really my friend chatting. So I "sent" a chat back saying I could not take the test until she confirmed the name of the frat we hung out at in college. The chatter ignored that question and again asked me to take the test and send her my score. I said if she did not answer my question, I would have to block her, that I need to be sure it was really she. The chatter said sorry and asked me what my score was! So I blocked whoever this was from chatting, and I sent my friend a note via Facebook to say I am also blocking her email b/c apparently it has been hacked. Scary stuff!

I HATE TECHNOLOGY!

Popular posts from this blog

What a year 2021 has been (Day 7)

I have almost no words for what happened yesterday at the Capitol. Protesting is one thing (though I truly think it is and has been time to move on). But to storm the Capitol? A friend on Facebook said, quite simply, " Almost 20 years ago a group of people on an airplane sacrificed themselves to protect the Capitol. How far we have fallen!" Indeed. And, yes, it IS storming the Capitol. I have seen numerous videos of people knocking down barricades/fences, pushing police officers, and breaking windows and climbing through them. That is beyond protesting. And even if a protestor did not do those things, if they followed those seditionists past those barricades and into the building, they are just as guilty. I did not support the violent protests this summer that resulted in damages to businesses and public property (I was in full support of the actual protests). But I also acknowledged as a white person, I cannot truly put myself in the position of a black person who is angry a

Melancholy and Gratitude

 A few days ago, I decided to do gratitude posts on FB. I was good the first two days. Day 3 I got a little snarky as I posted about "doing the right thing" in regards to Covid. The Covid cases in Allegheny County have been on the rise. For a while, we had daily counts between 50 and 100. After July 4, we saw a spike for a few weeks, and then cases were back below 100. Unfortunately, other than one "low" day this week, where "only" 288 cases were reported, we have had between 500 and 620 daily cases. Fortunately, only a few people have died this week. But of course, any death is too many. I started to keep track of cases, deaths, and hospitalizations on 6/12/20. On that day, since 3/12, Allegheny County had had 2,034 cases, 352 people had been hospitalized, and 172 people had died. On 11/19/20, the county has seen a total of 22,042 cases, 1,724 people have been hospitalized, and 465 people have died from Covid since 3/12. In just over 8 months, we have had

Hug your loved ones!

I hate to say that I am still working through my grief. I mean, in some ways I can imagine I will always be grieving. But I feel pretty confident it will get easier, and I will cry less and less. But, yeah, I guess I am still working through it. Yesterday, a thought occurred to me: I had not hugged my dad since the end of February, and that will now be the last time I ever did. I did not see him for almost three months because of COVID, and then at the end of May, he started his series of hospital visits with skilled nursing stints in between. I was always afraid to hug him then. What if I gave him COVID? And yet when my dad had really bad ICU delirium during a few different hospital stays, I fed him. If I could do that, why not hug him? So I cried a bit last night thinking about that. I am not necessarily a big hugger; I used to hate it, and then probably before Jordan was born, I got back to doing it again. Before COVID, I hugged my friends goodbye (and sometimes hello). I always wou