Skip to main content

Mother Nature is clearly angry about something

Holy hail, Batman! Although my neighborhood did not see hail the size of golf balls, as some people apparently witnessed, those pieces of hail in my yard were nothing to sneeze at.

Actually, I missed the first wave of the storm. Jordan and I had been swimming at the pool for almost an hour after school when the sky grew dark. I thought I saw some lightening through the glass ceiling/sliding doors, but I decided that a few minutes in the hot tub would probably not kill me. After a few more flashes of light, I reasoned it was best to get out. I was not so smart, however, that I did not then proceed to take a shower; I had to get all that chlorine off us! As were finishing up, I could really hear (what I thought was) the rain. But by the time we dried off, got dressed, and gathered our things, the rain had pretty much stopped, and we walked outside to just a few sprinkles and a partly sunny sky, oblivious to what had happened.

On the way home, I saw what looked like snow, however, on the ground. Then I heard an in-progress emergency bulletin on the radio, warning of damaging rain in Westmoreland County. I tuned to another station after that, and heard the tail end of a warning that suggested seeking shelter and lying flat outside if no shelter was available. Kind of scary, but I assumed it did not apply to us.

When we got home, I saw the hail in our yard, which I promptly scooped up, placed into a freezer bag, and stored in the freezer (no idea why). I figured the worst of it was over, and for awhile, things were actually sunny. But within 30 minutes, the second wave hit, complete with hail, thunder and lighting, and some gusty winds. I willed our roof, which has been living on borrowed time for a couple of years, to hold up, and Jordan grabbed the flashlight, just in case. Fortunately, the storm passed quickly, we never lost our power (which has happened about 20 times in the last two years), and our cars were unscathed.

Unfortunately, others in the next county were not so lucky. You just don't think a tornado is going to hit your house/neighborhood/etc. in western PA. I remember when we had a micro (or was it macro) burst in the last century. But this baby packed a big punch. As far as I know, there were no injuries, so thank God for that. But I can hear my one uncle saying, just as he did when AIDS was becoming prevalent and was pretty much a death sentence, that God is not happy about what we are doing.

Be careful out there.

Comments

Unknown said…
We were out in that storm too, (going to and from a Lenten service at our church) but we didn't have hail here, just really wicked wind, rain, thunder, and lightning. As we walked across the church parking lot the lightning was crashing around us - very scary! Especially since we were holding umbrellas (lightning rods). If I was struck by lighting while going into church, should I take it as a sign that God was smiting me down?

Cool pic of the hail, BTW!

Popular posts from this blog

Let's build something together!

That is one of my favorite slogan's (Or is that a tagline? Over a year removed from a design firm, and I can no longer remember). It belongs to Lowe's, although I am more of a Home Depot gal. But suffice it to say if someone handed me a $5,000 gift card to Home Depot (or Lowe's), I would be ecstatic. If I had $10,000 to spend, you could hear my shouts of joy from miles away. The things I could do with that money. Well, the things I could have Brian do with that money anyway. I love walking around Home Depot and admiring the fancy bathroom sinks and tubs. I look at the lighting and think about where I would put each fixture. I touch textured and colorful tiles and wistfully look at the fancy kitchen cabinets. I admire the various carpet styles and blinds. I look at the fancy front-loading washer and wonder what it must be like to have a steam dryer. I even look longingly at the vacuum cleaners because I can no longer buy a replacement filter for my eight year old mo...

If only I had taken pictures of my detoured drive

When I moved to the Burgh just over 14 years ago, I had a lot of anxiety about getting from "here" to "there." I found the city, which is triangular, and even some of the suburbs quite confusing. On top of that, a lot of the signs were of little help. Clearly they were put up by either natives who had no need for directions or people with a sick sense of humor who thought it would be funny to put signs in random places, leaving off important roads. At some point, I got over that fear of driving to a new building downtown. I don't recall when it happened, but eventually I just figured most of the city out; and when I had to head to a new place, I just drove around, no longer with a feeling of dread, knowing I would eventually get there. But on Sunday morning, that awful, long-ago feeling returned, thanks to the closure of the outbound Fort Pitt Tunnels. I had to pick my mother up from the airport, so there was no avoiding it. (For some reason, my family think...

Summer in review

This summer I made it a point to try to take at least one pic of Jordan whenever we went somewhere, which most often was a park. I wanted to capture all the great, fun things we did this summer, knowing that it was probably going to be my last summer not working for quite some time. So here goes. I have expressed my love of Frick Park, particularly Blue Slide Park, in other posts ; it really is one of our favorites. And this summer marked the first one I did not feel the need to follow J around like a little puppy dog. I actually let her run around and explore, though, admittedly, I would panic if more than three minutes went by and I had not seen her. In the pics above, J is at the end of the blue slide, and then hanging several feet above concrete (which scared the crap out of me). We also visited another section of Frick Park, the area on the corner of Braddock and Forbes, a few times. There is not as much to do as Blue Slide, but we go there to mix things up a bit. In the p...