Skip to main content

We have to do a better job

As much as I wanted to write about something other than snow, I, once again, am penning some thoughts on those all-too-common white flakes around here.

For the seventh time this year, Jordan's school has been canceled. On top of that, I think there have been two or three delays. In my opinion, there was no reason for today's cancellation. What makes it worse is that last night around 9, we received the automated call that there was a delay. I thought it might be a bit premature to announce that; we had received a few inches, but that was almost a daily occurrence lately (when it was not snowing several feet). Although I was disappointed that Jordan would be missing her first two classes yet again this week, I looked on the bright side that we would get to sleep in.

This morning, just after 6:30, I was jolted awake by a ringing phone. The principal wanted to know if I could sub, and I readily (if not sleepily) agreed. Unfortunately, I became wide awake after that conversation, so no sleeping in.

At about 8:15 a.m., as I was stepping out of the shower, my phone rang. An automated message proclaimed that school was now closed. Huh? The message went on to say if your kid was already there (as a number were, I am sure, since the school allows you to drop your kids off at 8 on a delay), they could remain so until you came to get them.

So now parents who are on their way to work or already there, have to come home and find alternative care? And if schools are closed, one would likely assume the roads are bad, thus risking the parents' lives further.

All my ranting aside, there are more serious consequences of poor snow removal. Just read this article in the P-G. A man died because an ambulance could not get to his house because of unplowed roads.

We live in western PA, not the South. We need to do a better job of clearing our roads. People are missing school, work, and appointments. When someone cannot get the medical attention he needs, if that is not enough for people to take notice and for someone to enact change, I don't know what is.

Comments

Sherri said…
We are experiencing the same thing here... two hour delay? suddenly closed? are we or aren't following pitt public schools? Stressful.... my little ones get used to being home and don't want to go back!

Popular posts from this blog

Why do they stand up there and say that when they are just lying?

That extra-long title is courtesy of my nine-year-old and was something she uttered during "Say Yes to the Dress" on Friday evening. I watch very little reality TV, but I make an exception for this show because I like to look at the dresses. And sometimes, the stories are heart-warming. Typically at the end of the show, a snippet of a wedding is aired. In this particular show, a woman who was confined to a wheelchair was exchanging vows with her fiance. After the two of them finished, J made her comment. I asked her what she meant as I must have been on the computer while the TV was on, and she explained that because so many people just get divorced, why do they even say "as long as we both shall live"? That is tough one, kid. I tried with what I thought was a sound explanation: Most of the people who get married truly believe they will be together the rest of their lives, but sometimes it just doesn't work out. But if you don't think that you will be ...

TMI

When I refer to TMI, I am not talking about people sharing (often gross) things they probably should not. But rather sharing a friend's or a relative's personal information with a spouse or significant other. I know people who have cheated on their spouses, had abortions, have been raped or victims of domestic violence, committed (minor) criminal acts, did not disclose things to the government that they should have, suffered from various mental aliments, and who have been drug addicts or alcoholics. In most cases, I have not shared that information with Brian unless the person told me I could or I felt he needed to know for family safety issues (e.g., you have to consider who you let your children around). I am certain he would think less of some of these people if he knew things they did, so what purpose does it serve telling him? But more importantly, I want these people who confide in me to know they have my word. I can honestly say I don't think I can trust any of ...

Do you ever just want to run away...

Yesterday's post was a rant about a fairly pointless two-hour delay. For the record, if it is snowing in the morning or if it has snowed throughout the night, I am not against a delay; the road crews have a lot of ground to cover. It is unfortunate for those who still need to get to work and are left scrambling to find child care or have to go in late. But I am all about safety. It is the temps that are clearly going nowhere any time soon that do not warrant a delay, again, in my opinion. It will be cold all day today. Having another delay today, once again, seemed pointless, but I am over it. ***** I had a rough weekend, and I have debated whether I should write about it. As my mom and one of my brothers are so fond of saying (though I will be paraphrasing), "Once you put it down in writing (on paper or in an email), it will always be there. You can't take it back." For that reason, when things weigh heavily on my mind, I don't always share them in this blog....