Skip to main content

More ranting

I am still angry about the ridiculous mom of 14 children (my how I miss writing about the Steelers). My boss and others do not understand why I care or am so mad about it. When he was laughing at me/about it, at that moment, I wanted to quit my job and start trying to have more kids; perhaps three or four. Why not sponge off the government? So many others are doing it.

Despite what some of you may think, I am not against government assistance programs. Some people need help because of circumstances beyond their control. Shouldn't we help the family whose head of household lost his or her job? And by help, I also mean charitable donations. I know I am better off than a lot, and I try to share some of this, now more than ever.

But why should taxpayers help those who take little to no responsibility for themselves and their actions? A single woman who is not working yet living on disability should not have herself implanted with six embryos. That she had six kids already makes it more maddening. I have been pregnant before; it takes a toll on your body. If you cannot work because you are disabled, why are you enduring a pregnancy of multiples?! If I lived in California, I would seriously consider moving; that is how strongly I feel about this woman getting money. Yet, how will her children survive without help?

I live beneath my means. Have for years. When Brian announced on Monday that everyone in his company had to take a pay cut, sure I was disappointed. But not worried. Heck, compared to the whopper of a cut we had to take at work almost six years ago, this was nothing.

I don't need extra help because of this. But if I lost my job, I would absolutely go on unemployment; how many people can live that far beneath their means? Yet with the way things are now, it would certainly be smart to cut more things out, live on less. Suze Orman now says you should have eight months of expenses in savings (remember when it was three to six months?). I am thinking 12 is better. If you have that in liquid savings, good for you; you are my hero.

Comments

Anonymous said…
The boss' "why do you care?" attitude is why we the taxpayers are screwed. I care because this was an obscene event and the doctor should have his license revoked. I care because California can't pay it bills, yet now has to pay for this. I care because I don't take handouts, yet have to pay for everyone else's. My guess is the "boss" must have plenty of money, and so doesn't have to care how someone else spends it.
Mel said…
If I allow myself to be immersed in my absolute rage at the state of the country right now, I will never sleep again. I am literally at the point of wanting to collar people who have the audacity to defend anything that O or the congress dems are all about. I can't tolerate the "help everyone" mentality. It just makes me furious to the point of violence. Sad, eh? I've benefitted, and will benefit, not at all from any of the handouts, ever. Too much money to get help in college, good in classes but not good ENOUGH to get scholarship help with tuition, stink at sports so no handouts there, pay off the d*!@ed loans by working from age 21 in the silly snowy north, miss out on paybacks for teaching in a stupid poverty-stricken district b/c I didn't know it was poverty-stricken, change careers and get screwed there as well, and then live below my means so as to be responsible. Well, it appears I was wasting my time all those years following the rules and being self-respecting and self-supportive. Should've just been shooting fertilized eggs in myself with a baster instead.

It's a good thing I'm not bitter, isn't it? : )

I'm really not. My hub and I'll continue to do what I've been doing my whole life. But now, I'll be certain that while we do that, we are the minority. Increasingly. It was a lovely, hardworking run in the U.S. while it lasted, wasn't it?
Facie said…
I saw two things during the five minutes I watched the O'Reilly Factor last night (I don't watch his show anymore; I think he is too rude):
1. Obama said in a clip, "This is the beginning of the end." I have no idea what context that was in, but he said, and I am pretty sure he is right.
2. O'Reilly said that the stimulus bill has been passed, so there is not much we can do about it. Or something like that. Yep. But unless people start taking responsibility for their actions and are held accountable, I fear.

Popular posts from this blog

What a year 2021 has been (Day 7)

I have almost no words for what happened yesterday at the Capitol. Protesting is one thing (though I truly think it is and has been time to move on). But to storm the Capitol? A friend on Facebook said, quite simply, " Almost 20 years ago a group of people on an airplane sacrificed themselves to protect the Capitol. How far we have fallen!" Indeed. And, yes, it IS storming the Capitol. I have seen numerous videos of people knocking down barricades/fences, pushing police officers, and breaking windows and climbing through them. That is beyond protesting. And even if a protestor did not do those things, if they followed those seditionists past those barricades and into the building, they are just as guilty. I did not support the violent protests this summer that resulted in damages to businesses and public property (I was in full support of the actual protests). But I also acknowledged as a white person, I cannot truly put myself in the position of a black person who is angry a

Melancholy and Gratitude

 A few days ago, I decided to do gratitude posts on FB. I was good the first two days. Day 3 I got a little snarky as I posted about "doing the right thing" in regards to Covid. The Covid cases in Allegheny County have been on the rise. For a while, we had daily counts between 50 and 100. After July 4, we saw a spike for a few weeks, and then cases were back below 100. Unfortunately, other than one "low" day this week, where "only" 288 cases were reported, we have had between 500 and 620 daily cases. Fortunately, only a few people have died this week. But of course, any death is too many. I started to keep track of cases, deaths, and hospitalizations on 6/12/20. On that day, since 3/12, Allegheny County had had 2,034 cases, 352 people had been hospitalized, and 172 people had died. On 11/19/20, the county has seen a total of 22,042 cases, 1,724 people have been hospitalized, and 465 people have died from Covid since 3/12. In just over 8 months, we have had

Hug your loved ones!

I hate to say that I am still working through my grief. I mean, in some ways I can imagine I will always be grieving. But I feel pretty confident it will get easier, and I will cry less and less. But, yeah, I guess I am still working through it. Yesterday, a thought occurred to me: I had not hugged my dad since the end of February, and that will now be the last time I ever did. I did not see him for almost three months because of COVID, and then at the end of May, he started his series of hospital visits with skilled nursing stints in between. I was always afraid to hug him then. What if I gave him COVID? And yet when my dad had really bad ICU delirium during a few different hospital stays, I fed him. If I could do that, why not hug him? So I cried a bit last night thinking about that. I am not necessarily a big hugger; I used to hate it, and then probably before Jordan was born, I got back to doing it again. Before COVID, I hugged my friends goodbye (and sometimes hello). I always wou