Skip to main content

Before the parade passes by
















I wish I could capture the feeling I had driving into work on Monday. Sure, I was tired after having stayed up to midnight to revel in the Steelers sixth Super Bowl win. But the feeling of euphoria, helped by a local radio station playing various Steeler songs as well as "We Are the Champions" was something I cannot put into words, something that a lot of people just don't get.

The good times continued right into Tuesday with the Steelers parade. I hardly noticed the 30-degree weather and occasional snowfall. What I was well aware of was that I and my closest 350,000 friends were celebrating in style. That day we were all united members of the Steeler Nation (except for the black-and-gold clad jag-off who apparently robbed a bank during the festivities).

This year, one of my coworkers had the best idea of his life (his words): bring a ladder, which was made possible thanks to Bob, the office guy, dropping us off. So many people walked by telling us how smart we were or what a great idea we had. A number of people snapped our pic, clearly in awe of the brilliancy. We saw everything and captured most of the players, unlike when we went three years ago, and saw almost nothing. The only downside was some players never turned our way; they continued to face the crowd on their side. Regardless, I posted some of my faves above; most of the rest are on Flickr.

What stands out most for me is the president of Steeler Nation, Mike Tomlin. He was walking the parade, clearly excited. When he was near us, he picked up someone's sign (something about Stairway to Seven). I have thought highly of Tomlin ever since he made the comment, "I walk past five Lombardi trophies, not five rushing titles," in response to Fast Willie's complaint about the run game. It is hard to describe or define Mike Tomlin; I do know he says things like "things of that nature" a lot, and that is all right with me.

I am glad I went; well worth a few hours of vacation time. Again, glad I live here and am able to experience something like this. There is nothing like living in Sixburgh!

Comments

Mel said…
what a fun time! I actually contemplated going, with a 3 1/2-year-old in tow... and then common sense ruled and we watched it on the tube. ahhh, to be a silly 20-something in such a celebratory season in the city... sigh. the ladder was pure genius. glad I know at least a few people who were there to record the moment for posterity. hurrayyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Worry

Lately, I have had some anxiety. I have been waking up within an hour of when I fall asleep (partially because my bladder has its own timetable). And then I lie awake, worrying about various things. Mostly I worry that I am failing as a parent. I worry that I allow my child to be disrespectful to me more than she should. I worry that I am not forcing my shy child to do more things. And I worry that the few things I am pushing her to do will make her resent me. I worry that she gets stressed about school. I worry that she is bothered because she does not have a lot of friends. I worry because I don't know why that is.

I worry that we will be stuck in our house in our bad school district, a place where we would not send our child to high school when she graduates in two years (two years!). Then I worry that our somewhat introverted child will have to go to cyber school. Because there is just no way that we could afford to send her to Catholic high school, for which tuition is curren…

Why I am an "Other"

Last month while I was getting my driver's license picture taken, I tried to change my political party affiliation. For whatever reason, my choices were Democrat, Republican, Other, and None. But first, how I got there.

I registered as a Democrat when I first registered to vote, just before the '92 election. At that time, I was "kind of" liberal (for growing up in a somewhat rural area in western PA), and pretty much all of my relatives were registered that way, so it made sense. I was not really into politics at that young age, however.

As I got into my late 20s, I started to realize I was becoming more conservative, so a few years later, when it was time to renew my driver's license, I changed to Republican. I still remember the day at work when I told my coworker Anne that I was really a Republican. She told me she had known it for years. During the 2008 election, I was on board with John McCain running for president, mostly because I thought he was a good pe…

Calamityware for unique holiday gifts

I have been really lousy at blogging during 2016, for several reasons (some of which I don't even know). One big reason is time: Between working full time and helping promote Calamityware, plus having a small family and doing the occasional social thing, there is not a lot of time left to put thought into blogs. [Sadly, I can put hours into FB, but that is mostly my reading and not thinking, and perhaps writing short comments. :-)]

Anyway, since we are now in the middle of the holiday (shopping) season, I thought I would again promote Calamityware. If you are like me, you have a few people on your gift list who are really challenging to buy for. That is where Calamityware may come in handy. Following are the unique, quirky, fun, and even some beautiful items you can purchase here:
Various porcelain plates adorned with fun things like frogs, zombie poodles, pterodactyls, tentacles, a volcano, a vortex, and more; buy a plate or one of the series of fourSoup bowls with fly (1 fly per …