Skip to main content

To read or not to read

Now that it is January and the school year is half over (I think), I am starting to worry about Jordan not yet reading. She recognizes the 20 words in her the first sight word list and probably another dozen or so, but I just thought she would be reading most of the words in some simple books by now.

I clearly am not some type of overachieving parent. I have no expectations for my child to be at the top of her class; I will be happy if she makes A's and Bs. Brian said as long as she tries, that is important. I mostly agree with that, but I will be disappointed if she does try hard and she ends up making mostly Cs. I'd like to think since I made mostly A's from 5th grade on, and I tried, surely she can make B's and A's if she tries; it is not as if I was some brainiac, though, to be fair, I think school was easier back then, and I don't think my alma mater was that tremendous.

When I visited the kindergarten class near the end of last January, to determine if we should send Jordan there, her teacher said that most of the kids could read. I just don't see her being able to read in the next couple of weeks. I mentioned this to Jordan's teacher today, and she said that she is not worried about Jordan. She will learn to read when she is ready, that it is like potty-training. That just did not make me feel better. I am starting to question if perhaps we sent her to school to early.

I am a worrier; most of my family and my close friends know this. As Brian says, if I don't have something to worry about, then I can't be happy (or something like that). I guess all that I can do for now is to read to her, practice her words with her, and hope everything else falls into place. But I will still worry about it. That is one thing I am good at.

Comments

Mel said…
get that ankle well, girl! go stillers! and try not to worry about the reading thing. it's only in the past decade or so that we started expecting kids to read before first grade anyway. I learned in first grade, even though I'd had people reading to me for years. that's just when it clicked and the whole phonics thing started to make sense. I think that's just how people brains work--they have to "get it" and then once they do, they surge forward with no issues. she'll get it. maybe try doing more phonics stuff at home, even just sounding out words on cereal boxes and signs. that's something we do here with our little person, and it's fun and can't hurt.
Facie said…
Thanks for the comment. Already, she is improving. I wrote a little story book for her that she drew or traced and color pictures for. I did this because she received her first little book like that on Monday, and she was trying to sound out the words on the way home.
Mel said…
that's great! : )

Popular posts from this blog

Why do they stand up there and say that when they are just lying?

That extra-long title is courtesy of my nine-year-old and was something she uttered during "Say Yes to the Dress" on Friday evening. I watch very little reality TV, but I make an exception for this show because I like to look at the dresses. And sometimes, the stories are heart-warming. Typically at the end of the show, a snippet of a wedding is aired. In this particular show, a woman who was confined to a wheelchair was exchanging vows with her fiance. After the two of them finished, J made her comment. I asked her what she meant as I must have been on the computer while the TV was on, and she explained that because so many people just get divorced, why do they even say "as long as we both shall live"? That is tough one, kid. I tried with what I thought was a sound explanation: Most of the people who get married truly believe they will be together the rest of their lives, but sometimes it just doesn't work out. But if you don't think that you will be ...

Do you ever just want to run away...

Yesterday's post was a rant about a fairly pointless two-hour delay. For the record, if it is snowing in the morning or if it has snowed throughout the night, I am not against a delay; the road crews have a lot of ground to cover. It is unfortunate for those who still need to get to work and are left scrambling to find child care or have to go in late. But I am all about safety. It is the temps that are clearly going nowhere any time soon that do not warrant a delay, again, in my opinion. It will be cold all day today. Having another delay today, once again, seemed pointless, but I am over it. ***** I had a rough weekend, and I have debated whether I should write about it. As my mom and one of my brothers are so fond of saying (though I will be paraphrasing), "Once you put it down in writing (on paper or in an email), it will always be there. You can't take it back." For that reason, when things weigh heavily on my mind, I don't always share them in this blog....

TMI

When I refer to TMI, I am not talking about people sharing (often gross) things they probably should not. But rather sharing a friend's or a relative's personal information with a spouse or significant other. I know people who have cheated on their spouses, had abortions, have been raped or victims of domestic violence, committed (minor) criminal acts, did not disclose things to the government that they should have, suffered from various mental aliments, and who have been drug addicts or alcoholics. In most cases, I have not shared that information with Brian unless the person told me I could or I felt he needed to know for family safety issues (e.g., you have to consider who you let your children around). I am certain he would think less of some of these people if he knew things they did, so what purpose does it serve telling him? But more importantly, I want these people who confide in me to know they have my word. I can honestly say I don't think I can trust any of ...