Skip to main content

Quote of the day


In case you are a not regular reader of the Blog 'N' Gold (a blog at the P-G website), the following post appeared yesterday:


Props to the Yinzer Yap-line caller who left the quote of the day with the the folks at ESPN Radio 1250: "I don't care who wins the Super Bowl, so long as they don't have a bird emblem on their helmet."

I was more worried about the San Diego game than I am about the upcoming game against the Ravens. Why? Just when you least expect, the better team loses, often taking a lesser team for granted. This happens more often than not. Otherwise, some of the players on my fantasy football team would have scored tons of points pretty much every week (I had some top-notch guys).

As I said on Sunday, if the Steelers play their A game, they should beat the Bolts. I think the same is true against the Ravens, though the teams are much more evenly matched (note: it would also help if Limas Sweed could actually hold on to a ball and if the refs would notice opposing teams mugging James Harrison). I truly believe part of the reason why the Ravens beat Tennessee is because a few of their players stomped on the Terrible Towel. You just don't do that.

I have been reading a number of forum posts on the P-G website, and the amount of smack is pretty high. Quite a few Chargers fans were guaranteeing a win while slamming the city of Pittsburgh in the process. A few posters said that all the city has is football, especially this time of year.

There is some truth in that; as I have said before, if you are fan, there is just something about being in this city when the Steelers are doing well. Sadly, some people will be devastated if the Steelers lose on Sunday. I know I will be bummed out, but life goes on. I have my family; Lost, 24, and Desperate Housewives; the economy (Pittsburgh's will be helped by the two home playoff games, fortunately), and a myriad of other things to either worry about or occupy my life.

But wouldn't it be great if the Steelers prevail on Sunday? May the best team win (as long as it is the Steelers). Note: I refuse to pass around the pic of the run-over Raven on the highway with a Tampa sign. Still superstitious.

Now I am going to hobble upstairs and find my kid.

Go Steelers.

Comments

Facie said…
But it cannot hurt to put the Steelers prayer in this post:

Our Father,
Who Art in Pittsburgh,
Football Be Thy Game.
Thy Kingdom Come,
5 Super Bowls Won,
On Earth as it is in Heinz Field.
Give us this Day a playoff Victory,
And forgive us our penalties,
As we defeat those who play against us.
But lead us into a victory,
And deliver us to Tampa!
A-Ben
Facie said…
As I reread my post, I realized that I may have jinxed Limas Sweed, who cleary cannot hold onto the ball at critical times. Fortunately, it did not matter. James Harrison was also held numerous times. Here is hoping the refs are more alert for the big dance and that Limas gets over his fear (way to fake an injury).

Popular posts from this blog

Why do they stand up there and say that when they are just lying?

That extra-long title is courtesy of my nine-year-old and was something she uttered during "Say Yes to the Dress" on Friday evening. I watch very little reality TV, but I make an exception for this show because I like to look at the dresses. And sometimes, the stories are heart-warming. Typically at the end of the show, a snippet of a wedding is aired. In this particular show, a woman who was confined to a wheelchair was exchanging vows with her fiance. After the two of them finished, J made her comment. I asked her what she meant as I must have been on the computer while the TV was on, and she explained that because so many people just get divorced, why do they even say "as long as we both shall live"? That is tough one, kid. I tried with what I thought was a sound explanation: Most of the people who get married truly believe they will be together the rest of their lives, but sometimes it just doesn't work out. But if you don't think that you will be ...

TMI

When I refer to TMI, I am not talking about people sharing (often gross) things they probably should not. But rather sharing a friend's or a relative's personal information with a spouse or significant other. I know people who have cheated on their spouses, had abortions, have been raped or victims of domestic violence, committed (minor) criminal acts, did not disclose things to the government that they should have, suffered from various mental aliments, and who have been drug addicts or alcoholics. In most cases, I have not shared that information with Brian unless the person told me I could or I felt he needed to know for family safety issues (e.g., you have to consider who you let your children around). I am certain he would think less of some of these people if he knew things they did, so what purpose does it serve telling him? But more importantly, I want these people who confide in me to know they have my word. I can honestly say I don't think I can trust any of ...

Do you ever just want to run away...

Yesterday's post was a rant about a fairly pointless two-hour delay. For the record, if it is snowing in the morning or if it has snowed throughout the night, I am not against a delay; the road crews have a lot of ground to cover. It is unfortunate for those who still need to get to work and are left scrambling to find child care or have to go in late. But I am all about safety. It is the temps that are clearly going nowhere any time soon that do not warrant a delay, again, in my opinion. It will be cold all day today. Having another delay today, once again, seemed pointless, but I am over it. ***** I had a rough weekend, and I have debated whether I should write about it. As my mom and one of my brothers are so fond of saying (though I will be paraphrasing), "Once you put it down in writing (on paper or in an email), it will always be there. You can't take it back." For that reason, when things weigh heavily on my mind, I don't always share them in this blog....