Skip to main content

I tweaked my ankle, but I'll be ready by kickoff!

I either tripped on or missed the last step yesterday morning before going to work. I immediately cried out in pain and fell to the floor. Jordan's reaction? "Daddy better take me to school." It reminded me of when Brian and I were playing (and I use that term loosely for me) tennis on the 4th of July back in '99. I simply stepped funny on my ankle, yet it swelled up to the size of a grapefruit, and I was on crutches and in a soft ankle cast for a few weeks.

Even though I have little tolerance for pain, I like to think I am tough, plus I hate medication or seeking treatment, so I decided to soldier on. Unfortunately, walking around the South Side for lunch and not putting ice on my ankle until about 4 p.m. yesterday did nothing to help it (neither did Mike spilling half a Dr. Pepper on me, for that matter). Currently, my ankle has swelled to perhaps only the size of a plum, and it hurts just mildly. But as my post title suggests, I will be fine by kickoff tomorrow.

Ah, football. Every year, I expect the Steelers to make the playoffs. Fortunately, since I began my love affair with the sport probably almost 25 years ago, the Steelers have delivered much more than not. As stated in this very blog last year, I am superstitious, so part of me hates to write a post about the Steelers, thinking I will jinx them, even though deep down I know that is crazy. Well, maybe mostly.

There is just something about being a Steelers fan and something even better about being a fan right here in the Burgh. I consider myself blessed to live here. People talk smack on Pittsburgh, saying it is not a place for young people, there is nothing to do, good jobs are hard to find, everyone is old, etc. Speaking for my experience of living here for almost 13 years, I can say most of that is simply not true.

When I was single (and even before I had a child), I did a lot of stuff. I attended various sporting events, I had a theatre subscription, I did various bits of volunteer work, my social life was pretty full. I just don't understand the people who say there is nothing to do. They must never leave their house.

It is hard for me to comment on the job scene because I have worked for the same company since I moved here. I suspect, particularly now, if I tried to find another job, I would have difficulty. But most of my friends have done okay. Sure, some moved away for work reasons, but some of those same friends have moved multiple times for different jobs, so it is hard to blame the Burgh.

I hope that next week I am able to attend the next pep rally for the Steelers. I was hedging my bets by not going to Friday's, hoping the Steelers would prevail against the Bolts (my ankle would not let me go anyway). Even better would be cheering during a per-Super Bowl pep rally, as some coworkers and I did three years ago. And better than that would be attending a Super Bowl victory parade as we also did. We can hope.

But if not, I am going to sit here and recover and love and praise my town (taxes not withstanding) as much as I can.

Go Steelers!


ashley said…
Yippee!!! Go Steelers!

Go easy on that ankle, and I hope you feel better soon.
big fan said…
Here we go Steelers, here we go!!!
Facie :-) said…
Ankle has improved. I stupidly went on our usual 1.5-mile lunch walk on Monday, which might have set me back. That is what happens when you take on for the team!

Steeler fever, baby!

Popular posts from this blog


Lately, I have had some anxiety. I have been waking up within an hour of when I fall asleep (partially because my bladder has its own timetable). And then I lie awake, worrying about various things. Mostly I worry that I am failing as a parent. I worry that I allow my child to be disrespectful to me more than she should. I worry that I am not forcing my shy child to do more things. And I worry that the few things I am pushing her to do will make her resent me. I worry that she gets stressed about school. I worry that she is bothered because she does not have a lot of friends. I worry because I don't know why that is.

I worry that we will be stuck in our house in our bad school district, a place where we would not send our child to high school when she graduates in two years (two years!). Then I worry that our somewhat introverted child will have to go to cyber school. Because there is just no way that we could afford to send her to Catholic high school, for which tuition is curren…

Why I am an "Other"

Last month while I was getting my driver's license picture taken, I tried to change my political party affiliation. For whatever reason, my choices were Democrat, Republican, Other, and None. But first, how I got there.

I registered as a Democrat when I first registered to vote, just before the '92 election. At that time, I was "kind of" liberal (for growing up in a somewhat rural area in western PA), and pretty much all of my relatives were registered that way, so it made sense. I was not really into politics at that young age, however.

As I got into my late 20s, I started to realize I was becoming more conservative, so a few years later, when it was time to renew my driver's license, I changed to Republican. I still remember the day at work when I told my coworker Anne that I was really a Republican. She told me she had known it for years. During the 2008 election, I was on board with John McCain running for president, mostly because I thought he was a good pe…

My first and hopefully my last biposy (or I would rather be at the beach)

This past Monday afternoon I had my biopsy. Up until Sunday night, I was not worried. In fact, I was never really concerned about having cancer; it was the needle part that bothered me. As it turns out, there is more than a needle; there is an actual incision. So it was not surprising that I only got a few hours of sleep. But on a positive note, I cruised right down the Parkway that morning, being the Monday before the 4th, so there was that.

I got there at the prescribed 30 minutes ahead of time; in fact, it was probably close to 35 minutes! I had to wait about 10 minutes, during which I could feel my seat vibrate (still not sure about that; I was tired but I don't think I was imaging it). Then I went back, changed, and waited in the "gowned waiting area" for no more than 5 minutes. Not even enough time to find out whose twins Jennifer Garner was pregnant with! WARNING: What follows will be detailed, though not too graphic.

Then I went back to a room, where someone as…