Skip to main content

I choose joy and merriment (most of the time)!

Even though things are hectic, I really enjoy this time of year. Some people are grouchier than usual, sure. I think people's driving skills seem to denigrate as well. But I tend to see the good in people and the season.

I own several Santa hats--a Penn State one, a Steelers one, and a red one. I looked for a Penguins hat over the past few weeks, but no luck. Admittedly, this year I have not worn them much; I think I am still feeling my way around the job/people. But I did break down on a few occasions. First, I  wore my Steeler hat on my birthday a few weeks ago (I did not think my PSU hat would be appropriate where I work), along with a self-promoting birthday pin that I have worn for the past 17 birthdays and a bell.

I took the hat off for the picture.

At our building Christmas party last week, I again opted for the bell and Steeler hat. I was one of two people (out of around 50, I would guess) wearing something like that, and I was surprised there was not more festive wear. It was nice to see some people from two floors below wearing snowflake stickers (although that made me want one, when there were no more to be had). Overall, people were tame and pleasant. I ended up talking to some guy about how we should do karaoke for next year's party. He said that people tend to just keep to themselves and who wants to hear people singing badly (I thought that was why you did it!). That is one thing I miss about my last job, the years we had some type of performance. And the people got a little crazy sometimes. :-)

When I was shopping last weekend, I wore my PSU hat. Even two years removed from the scandal and almost 1.5 years removed from the (mostly unjustified, in my opinion) sanctions, I still often wait for someone to say something negative every time I wear PSU garb. Fortunately at Target (where hopefully my credit card was not being breached) some guy said, "Nice hat" when he walked by. He was wearing a Penn State sweatshirt, but it still was nice.

Friday was our last day of work for the year. I again wore my Steeler Santa hat (after the victory on Sunday, it is not nearly as embarrassing) and the bell. I also brought in stickers for everyone and insisted my coworkers put them on. Everyone was game, which made me feel better. And by lunchtime, a number of us were feeling festive (and ready to leave), so we decided to take a break at a local bar. I like to think my spreading the holiday spirit encouraged everyone to let loose a little.

Last night, I wrote the last of my Christmas cards. It seems that not as many people are sending cards as of late. I know it can get expensive and it is time-consuming, but to me it is worth it, knowing that someone will get to open something other than a bill this time of year. Plus I included the dog in this year's card, knowing we don't have too many more Christmases with her.

Today, it was almost 60 degrees out, so I skipped the hat. But I did try to be pleasant to people (not that I am not normally that way). I offered to hold the umbrella for an older gentlemen at the grocery store while he was loading his groceries into his car, but he declined. Might have had something to do with my coming out of nowhere and practically grabbing the umbrella out of this hand. I should probably work on my approach next time.

I am just trying to enjoy the days as much as I can (which should be easier to do now that all presents but one are wrapped and I am done working for the year) and be as joyful and merry as I can. The Pens are certainly helping that.

If you see someone in a Santa hat, wearing a crazy sweater, or singing to themselves, don't think of that person (who will probably be me) as crazy; just consider it spreading merriment!


bluzdude said…
I wore my light-up Steelers Santa hat to the sports bar for the game. It went over well, considering I'm in Baltimore.
Facie said…
Good for you, Bluz. Sunday was an extra great day for a Steeler fan to live in Baltimore! :-)

Popular posts from this blog


Lately, I have had some anxiety. I have been waking up within an hour of when I fall asleep (partially because my bladder has its own timetable). And then I lie awake, worrying about various things. Mostly I worry that I am failing as a parent. I worry that I allow my child to be disrespectful to me more than she should. I worry that I am not forcing my shy child to do more things. And I worry that the few things I am pushing her to do will make her resent me. I worry that she gets stressed about school. I worry that she is bothered because she does not have a lot of friends. I worry because I don't know why that is.

I worry that we will be stuck in our house in our bad school district, a place where we would not send our child to high school when she graduates in two years (two years!). Then I worry that our somewhat introverted child will have to go to cyber school. Because there is just no way that we could afford to send her to Catholic high school, for which tuition is curren…

Why I am an "Other"

Last month while I was getting my driver's license picture taken, I tried to change my political party affiliation. For whatever reason, my choices were Democrat, Republican, Other, and None. But first, how I got there.

I registered as a Democrat when I first registered to vote, just before the '92 election. At that time, I was "kind of" liberal (for growing up in a somewhat rural area in western PA), and pretty much all of my relatives were registered that way, so it made sense. I was not really into politics at that young age, however.

As I got into my late 20s, I started to realize I was becoming more conservative, so a few years later, when it was time to renew my driver's license, I changed to Republican. I still remember the day at work when I told my coworker Anne that I was really a Republican. She told me she had known it for years. During the 2008 election, I was on board with John McCain running for president, mostly because I thought he was a good pe…

My first and hopefully my last biposy (or I would rather be at the beach)

This past Monday afternoon I had my biopsy. Up until Sunday night, I was not worried. In fact, I was never really concerned about having cancer; it was the needle part that bothered me. As it turns out, there is more than a needle; there is an actual incision. So it was not surprising that I only got a few hours of sleep. But on a positive note, I cruised right down the Parkway that morning, being the Monday before the 4th, so there was that.

I got there at the prescribed 30 minutes ahead of time; in fact, it was probably close to 35 minutes! I had to wait about 10 minutes, during which I could feel my seat vibrate (still not sure about that; I was tired but I don't think I was imaging it). Then I went back, changed, and waited in the "gowned waiting area" for no more than 5 minutes. Not even enough time to find out whose twins Jennifer Garner was pregnant with! WARNING: What follows will be detailed, though not too graphic.

Then I went back to a room, where someone as…