Skip to main content

Going on 13

Jordan turned eight on Saturday. At some point, I will probably break down and write a post about my failing as a parent. But today is not that day; I want to keep it light!

Jordan's big thing on her birthday was getting her ears pierced. I do not have my ears pierced. My parents told me I had to wait until I was 12 or 13, which really made me sad at the time, as every other girl in my class had her ears pierced. However, I eventually got over that, and when I finally was old enough, I pretty much lost interest. Plus I cannot stand pain. (In my defense, I birthed my kid without drugs. That pain was awful, but yet I still fear pain and avoid it at all costs, which explains why I am 20-some years overdue for a tetanus shot. Also worth noting that I cried during my sonogram. Yes, I am strange.)

Jordan talked about getting her ears pierced back when she was four or five, but Bri and I thought she should wait until she was a little older. We did not have an exact age in mind, but I knew it was not going to be the too-old teenage years. Last year I asked her if she wanted to do it, but she said no, surprisingly. I asked her again just a month or so ago, and she said she did not care, mostly because she was afraid of the pain, which I may have talked up a bit (I admit, I kind of wanted her to be like me).

Completely out of the blue, two days before her birthday, Jordan decided that she was ready to take the big step. I was a little excited for her, but also a little sad for my occasionally self-centered self (is that an oxymoron?). We had this special hole-less ear thing going for ourselves, and we would no longer share that. But I got over it, and we made plans after I consulted my Facebook friends for some recommendations.

Jordan's Grammy, Gigi (great-grandma), and I took her to Claire's Saturday afternoon. Here are some photos of the event.



Jordan said the first ear hurt, and she was not sure she could go through the second one. But the woman was great, assuring her, and she just did it. J got over the pain pretty fast, and she seemed happy, proud, and perhaps a little goofy.



I like to think we did not look like complete idiots fawning over Jordan and taking pictures, since this  happened in the window of Claire's, for all mall goers to see. But I am okay if we did.

That's my baby girl. The one who can take pain better than I can. Now if only I could freeze time and stop her from growing up, at least for a little while...

Comments

Sherri said…
Well - congrats. You should join her - the pain is fleeting - promise (this from someone who, at one time, during my punk years, had 7 holes in my ears :-). When we did Olivia's, I think she was 6 or 7 - and... my thing was - if she knew and understood the pain and still wanted to do it, then it was a go. Also - they have to take care of them :-). The same will follow with Lil. Anyway - fun b-day present :-).
Facie said…
Nope, not joining!

As for the taking care of part, this does help to get her dressed faster in the morning and fight less getting a bath in the evening, because she knows she needs to clean her ears 3x/day (well, I am doing it).
Unknown said…
I love the photos and your opening line. Let me know when you write that post we could do a novel together. The pictures are priceless, I love how happy she is in the last one.

Popular posts from this blog

What a year 2021 has been (Day 7)

I have almost no words for what happened yesterday at the Capitol. Protesting is one thing (though I truly think it is and has been time to move on). But to storm the Capitol? A friend on Facebook said, quite simply, " Almost 20 years ago a group of people on an airplane sacrificed themselves to protect the Capitol. How far we have fallen!" Indeed. And, yes, it IS storming the Capitol. I have seen numerous videos of people knocking down barricades/fences, pushing police officers, and breaking windows and climbing through them. That is beyond protesting. And even if a protestor did not do those things, if they followed those seditionists past those barricades and into the building, they are just as guilty. I did not support the violent protests this summer that resulted in damages to businesses and public property (I was in full support of the actual protests). But I also acknowledged as a white person, I cannot truly put myself in the position of a black person who is angry a

Melancholy and Gratitude

 A few days ago, I decided to do gratitude posts on FB. I was good the first two days. Day 3 I got a little snarky as I posted about "doing the right thing" in regards to Covid. The Covid cases in Allegheny County have been on the rise. For a while, we had daily counts between 50 and 100. After July 4, we saw a spike for a few weeks, and then cases were back below 100. Unfortunately, other than one "low" day this week, where "only" 288 cases were reported, we have had between 500 and 620 daily cases. Fortunately, only a few people have died this week. But of course, any death is too many. I started to keep track of cases, deaths, and hospitalizations on 6/12/20. On that day, since 3/12, Allegheny County had had 2,034 cases, 352 people had been hospitalized, and 172 people had died. On 11/19/20, the county has seen a total of 22,042 cases, 1,724 people have been hospitalized, and 465 people have died from Covid since 3/12. In just over 8 months, we have had

Hug your loved ones!

I hate to say that I am still working through my grief. I mean, in some ways I can imagine I will always be grieving. But I feel pretty confident it will get easier, and I will cry less and less. But, yeah, I guess I am still working through it. Yesterday, a thought occurred to me: I had not hugged my dad since the end of February, and that will now be the last time I ever did. I did not see him for almost three months because of COVID, and then at the end of May, he started his series of hospital visits with skilled nursing stints in between. I was always afraid to hug him then. What if I gave him COVID? And yet when my dad had really bad ICU delirium during a few different hospital stays, I fed him. If I could do that, why not hug him? So I cried a bit last night thinking about that. I am not necessarily a big hugger; I used to hate it, and then probably before Jordan was born, I got back to doing it again. Before COVID, I hugged my friends goodbye (and sometimes hello). I always wou