Skip to main content

Obviously I am a big Steelers fan, but...

Two Steelers-related things are on my mind, and not in a good way, I am afraid.

First, my kid's school (as well as the city schools and others, I am sure) is on a two-hour delay Monday. Found this out last evening. Why? Well, because of the Steelers game. It may have to do with administrators' concern that kids will have stayed up late and thus be too tired to learn anything. A few parents said they heard it was because bus drivers might be hungover. One or two suggested that it might be for the teachers and parents as well.

Here are my thoughts on that matter:
  1. The game should be over around 10. My guess is that the majority of the kids who will stay up to watch the game don't go to bed much earlier than that anyway. And for those who normally go to bed earlier? They probably will be okay staying up a little later for one night. If not, then parents should not let them stay up for it. Jordan certainly won't be up past halftime, mostly because she does not care enough about the game.
  2. If it is true that there is concern about hungover bus drivers, maybe those people should not have their jobs. For the love of Pete, you are responsible for the lives of kids. You would risk that by coming to work drunk or badly hungover? When the Steelers were in SB XXX in 1995, I was a teacher. I went to a party the night of, acted responsible, and managed to get up, drive the 30 minutes to my job, and arrive by 8 a.m. And I was single and childless then. Another single and childless (non-Steeler) SB year, I was not my most responsible self the night of, but I went in to work late the next day and felt not the best, knowing I could do both (i.e., I had the time and flexibility to take off and I was responsible for commas and periods, not people).
  3. If you are a parent who is responsible to get your kid up for school and particularly to take them to school, then you have to consider that the night before. If you plan on overimbibing, then I suggest you pay a sitter or ask a relative or friend to help out the next day. As a parent, there was no way I was going to throw down a half dozen drinks during the previous SBs; I knew I had a preschooler (SB XL) and a kindergartner (SB XLIII) to worry about the next day. It is called being a responsible parent.
  4. And what about the parents who don't get to be late for their jobs? What are they supposed to do? It is challenging enough to scramble during a two-hour delay for weather. I can't imagine having an hourly job and telling my boss I was going to be late because my kid had a two-hour Steeler delay.
  5. In general, I am just disappointed that the kids are going to miss out on two hours of learning for football (they don't have to make up two-hour delays). What does this say about our priorities?
The other Steelers-related thing on my mind concerns some kids at City High who were suspended for wearing Steelers-specific attire to school, against the dress code. You can read the details here.

Here are my thoughts on that matter:
  1. The students should have respected the "corporate casual "dress code, which, according to the principal, would have included wearing black and gold, just not jerseys. Rules are rules, and this school is not a "regular" public school to begin with; it is a charter school.
  2. The students admitted that they were donning Steelers attire as a senior prank. Surely they were expecting consequences for pulling a prank.
  3. The only thing I don't fully support is the suspension. I have no problem with their being punished in some way, but, obviously, I am not a fan of kids' missing school. One kid even said he was happy they did not have school on Monday as a result of the suspension. Not good.
So what are your thoughts? Am I being too uptight? Looking on the bright side (because I am trying to come up with optimistic thoughts, remember), at least the kids should, in theory, be safe come Monday thanks to the delay. And I will get to sleep in. And as for the kids who got in trouble for their Steelers gear, hopefully they will learn a lesson.

Still, go Steelers!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Facie- am surprised more people did not comment on this. Here is my $.02. Sure a delay is kinda stupid, but it is cool how the city embraces the team and all. And you know how some people are very irresponsible and wound think nothing of driving hungover so.

As for the students suspended it kind of flies in the face of the city embracing the team and there are so many other bad things kids do that warrant punishment. But learn a lesson? That I kind of doubt.
Facie said…
Anon, good points.

Popular posts from this blog

Worry

Lately, I have had some anxiety. I have been waking up within an hour of when I fall asleep (partially because my bladder has its own timetable). And then I lie awake, worrying about various things. Mostly I worry that I am failing as a parent. I worry that I allow my child to be disrespectful to me more than she should. I worry that I am not forcing my shy child to do more things. And I worry that the few things I am pushing her to do will make her resent me. I worry that she gets stressed about school. I worry that she is bothered because she does not have a lot of friends. I worry because I don't know why that is.

I worry that we will be stuck in our house in our bad school district, a place where we would not send our child to high school when she graduates in two years (two years!). Then I worry that our somewhat introverted child will have to go to cyber school. Because there is just no way that we could afford to send her to Catholic high school, for which tuition is curren…

Why I am an "Other"

Last month while I was getting my driver's license picture taken, I tried to change my political party affiliation. For whatever reason, my choices were Democrat, Republican, Other, and None. But first, how I got there.

I registered as a Democrat when I first registered to vote, just before the '92 election. At that time, I was "kind of" liberal (for growing up in a somewhat rural area in western PA), and pretty much all of my relatives were registered that way, so it made sense. I was not really into politics at that young age, however.

As I got into my late 20s, I started to realize I was becoming more conservative, so a few years later, when it was time to renew my driver's license, I changed to Republican. I still remember the day at work when I told my coworker Anne that I was really a Republican. She told me she had known it for years. During the 2008 election, I was on board with John McCain running for president, mostly because I thought he was a good pe…

My first and hopefully my last biposy (or I would rather be at the beach)

This past Monday afternoon I had my biopsy. Up until Sunday night, I was not worried. In fact, I was never really concerned about having cancer; it was the needle part that bothered me. As it turns out, there is more than a needle; there is an actual incision. So it was not surprising that I only got a few hours of sleep. But on a positive note, I cruised right down the Parkway that morning, being the Monday before the 4th, so there was that.

I got there at the prescribed 30 minutes ahead of time; in fact, it was probably close to 35 minutes! I had to wait about 10 minutes, during which I could feel my seat vibrate (still not sure about that; I was tired but I don't think I was imaging it). Then I went back, changed, and waited in the "gowned waiting area" for no more than 5 minutes. Not even enough time to find out whose twins Jennifer Garner was pregnant with! WARNING: What follows will be detailed, though not too graphic.

Then I went back to a room, where someone as…