Skip to main content

All is well that ends well (or Still wanting to make a difference)

As I have mentioned before, I put some thought into my blog post titles. Sometimes I try to make them witty (so I like to think) or at least interesting. I read about a half dozen or so blogs on a regular basis (meaning I check them most days of the week), and I read another half dozen or so when I am willing to spend the time (probably more like once per week or less often). On top of those, I sometimes check out the blogs that other people link to. And what gets me to click on that link is an interesting (to me, anyway) post title. I don't care so much about getting a lot of people to read my blog; I write it for myself. But I am not going to lie. I find it satisfying, gratifying, something-fying when I see that people have actually stopped by to read my blog and especially to post comments, particularly when I have written something that I am hoping someone will either testify to or at least make me feel better. And I often wonder what makes those people, aside from my "regulars," check out my blog.

But I digress, as usual. Most of the time, I want my post titles to mean something. If I have an idea for a post, then I want my title to reflect that. Sometimes, however, my posts starts in one direction and end up going in a completely different one. As a result, my title will either not make too much sense, I will have to change the title, or I will just abandon the post for now. This probably should have been one of those posts.

Today's post, aside from that explanation above, is about my substitute teaching this week. Monday was a rough day. The kind of day that made me think that God is trying to give me a really obvious sign that I am not meant to teach. I am just not so good at gaining or keeping control of the bigger classrooms. In one of the classes, a few boys who are normally quiet and do not join in the disrespectful antics of a half dozen others, actually did just that. I know their moms pretty well, so I was surprised and disappointed. I sent a couple of kids to the front of the room at different times (something I know some of the teachers do), and it did not do much good. Later in the day, I had another large class of which at least a dozen would not stop talking. The kids had Valentine's Day parties starting only 15 minutes into the period, and when the time came, I refused to let them go. Their teacher came to get them, and I told her until they could all be quiet, they were going nowhere. It took over five minutes for every single child to stop talking, stop coughing, stop giggling, etc. When I heard complete silence for five seconds, I told them to go, because I really could not see the silence lasting much longer and I was afraid that they would never leave!

I felt like a failure at the end of the day, and really did not want to come back the next day, which I was scheduled to do. But, of course, I did. Because "tomorrow is a new day" has become my teaching (i.e., forgiveness/moving on) mantra. And yesterday was better. I still had some problem kids. Students who just cannot seem to stop talking when I am. It does not matter if I stand there in silence waiting for others to do the same, if I raise my voice, if I turn off the lights, or do something else. There are just kids who, as unfathomable to me as it is, just don't stop talking and/or fooling around. And I know part of the problem is the large classes of 28. That is just too many kids, especially, sadly, the way a number of today's kids act.

But the day ended up okay overall. I did my best to encourage the kids as much as I could in gym class. I pointed out bad behavior as I saw it, and I let some things go because quite frankly, I have no idea how to deal with some of these kids. I won't give up on most of those, but I also have to be glad I have the ones who seem to respect and listen to me. Sometimes hearing a kid say she is glad I am here, or getting a hug from someone is enough to outweigh the other stuff.

I am not ready to throw in the towel yet. I still really, truly want to make a difference in at least some kids' lives. I want to teach them as best as I can, and I want as many of them to learn from me as possible. I am not sure if this is what I am "meant" to do. But for now, until something else comes along, or God gives me a few more obvious signs, this is what I am going to do.

But, alas, tomorrow's interview, in a complete different field, for temporary, but full time (something I have not done since the summer of 2003) work, might end up changing all that.

For now, let's just go with all is well that ends well.

Comments

chris h. said…
I still can't grasp that kids act this way in class, especially young kids, especially in a Catholic school! Do you think it's because they have no fear of punishment (either at home or at school) because they've never experienced anything beyond a 5-minute "time out"?
Facie said…
Chris, believe me, I am amazed almost every time I sub. As I have said before, Jordan can be disrespectful to me, but she knows better than to do it in front of a teacher. My guess is that some parents feel they are entitled and they are raising their kids the same way. And, yes, I believe lack of discipline is a big problem.

Popular posts from this blog

What a year 2021 has been (Day 7)

I have almost no words for what happened yesterday at the Capitol. Protesting is one thing (though I truly think it is and has been time to move on). But to storm the Capitol? A friend on Facebook said, quite simply, " Almost 20 years ago a group of people on an airplane sacrificed themselves to protect the Capitol. How far we have fallen!" Indeed. And, yes, it IS storming the Capitol. I have seen numerous videos of people knocking down barricades/fences, pushing police officers, and breaking windows and climbing through them. That is beyond protesting. And even if a protestor did not do those things, if they followed those seditionists past those barricades and into the building, they are just as guilty. I did not support the violent protests this summer that resulted in damages to businesses and public property (I was in full support of the actual protests). But I also acknowledged as a white person, I cannot truly put myself in the position of a black person who is angry a

Melancholy and Gratitude

 A few days ago, I decided to do gratitude posts on FB. I was good the first two days. Day 3 I got a little snarky as I posted about "doing the right thing" in regards to Covid. The Covid cases in Allegheny County have been on the rise. For a while, we had daily counts between 50 and 100. After July 4, we saw a spike for a few weeks, and then cases were back below 100. Unfortunately, other than one "low" day this week, where "only" 288 cases were reported, we have had between 500 and 620 daily cases. Fortunately, only a few people have died this week. But of course, any death is too many. I started to keep track of cases, deaths, and hospitalizations on 6/12/20. On that day, since 3/12, Allegheny County had had 2,034 cases, 352 people had been hospitalized, and 172 people had died. On 11/19/20, the county has seen a total of 22,042 cases, 1,724 people have been hospitalized, and 465 people have died from Covid since 3/12. In just over 8 months, we have had

Hug your loved ones!

I hate to say that I am still working through my grief. I mean, in some ways I can imagine I will always be grieving. But I feel pretty confident it will get easier, and I will cry less and less. But, yeah, I guess I am still working through it. Yesterday, a thought occurred to me: I had not hugged my dad since the end of February, and that will now be the last time I ever did. I did not see him for almost three months because of COVID, and then at the end of May, he started his series of hospital visits with skilled nursing stints in between. I was always afraid to hug him then. What if I gave him COVID? And yet when my dad had really bad ICU delirium during a few different hospital stays, I fed him. If I could do that, why not hug him? So I cried a bit last night thinking about that. I am not necessarily a big hugger; I used to hate it, and then probably before Jordan was born, I got back to doing it again. Before COVID, I hugged my friends goodbye (and sometimes hello). I always wou