Skip to main content

I'm a Roman numeral!

Last night, while my kid was (very slowly) getting ready for bed, she announced those words above. I was in the next room and had no clue what she was talking about, although the day before she asked me what V with three lines means (referring to VIII). So I walked into the hall to find Jordan standing in front of the full-length mirror, clearly pretending to wear a toga. I laughed out loud and said, "Oh, you are pretending to wear a toga. You are funny." Then Jordan asked if I was going to put that on Facebook. Of course I did (the exchange, not the picture). When I asked her today how she knows about togas and the Romans, she said she saw something about it awhile ago in a show called "Time Warp Trio." Good to see there are (or at least were) some educational cartoons out there (but for my money, "Phineas and Ferb" rules!).

Seven is an interesting age. My kid is so much more independent. She can actually play by herself for an hour or more (I realize a lot of kids much younger than she have probably been doing this since they were 4, but whatever). She has definite ideas about what she likes and does not. I am happy to say she is actually a pretty good Penguins fan (both the animal and the hockey team, and she manages to mesh the two at times). She did a book report on Penguins just before Christmas, and she wrote a small "Go Penguins!" sign, which she attached to a stuffed penguin that she has displayed in our front window along with a Pittsburgh Penguins sign she made. I thought it was great yesterday when we drove by a billboard with a picture of Penguin Evgeni Malkin and she knew it was he. When we were playing a game last night and she had a to pick a number between 1 and 20, she picked 18, "because I think that is Niskanen's number. I think Neal's is 2" (two players the Pens traded for just this week). She ended up having the numbers reversed, but what seven-year-old girl knows that? I don't even know all the "regular" Penguins' numbers, and I watch pretty much every game!

I will have to save our communion dress shopping for another post. But I will toss in the below pic of our first and hopefully last snowman this winter. The yard sure looks sad, but gappy grin and her silly snowman look just fine.



Jordan is sitting here right now leaning over my shoulder. I begged her last night to sleep in until 8. She ended up asleep until about 8:30 a.m., whereas I, still waking myself up with a cough one week later, woke up at 6:45 a.m. Grr. Anyway, she asked me not to write anything else about her. And because she is such a good reader, she is reading every word I type. I do have to say that Jordan has also become a good little writer. It is weird/cool to watch her write little notes and actually put sentiments in cards. Who knows? In a few years, maybe she will have a blog!

Hi! I'm Jordan!

(Editor's note: The above was written by Jordan, probably obviously, just before we headed downstairs for breakfast. Luckily, unlike most of her peers, she spends very little time on the computer, so she has no idea how to actually get to this blog to actually read it on her own. But in a few years...)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Worry

Lately, I have had some anxiety. I have been waking up within an hour of when I fall asleep (partially because my bladder has its own timetable). And then I lie awake, worrying about various things. Mostly I worry that I am failing as a parent. I worry that I allow my child to be disrespectful to me more than she should. I worry that I am not forcing my shy child to do more things. And I worry that the few things I am pushing her to do will make her resent me. I worry that she gets stressed about school. I worry that she is bothered because she does not have a lot of friends. I worry because I don't know why that is.

I worry that we will be stuck in our house in our bad school district, a place where we would not send our child to high school when she graduates in two years (two years!). Then I worry that our somewhat introverted child will have to go to cyber school. Because there is just no way that we could afford to send her to Catholic high school, for which tuition is curren…

Why I am an "Other"

Last month while I was getting my driver's license picture taken, I tried to change my political party affiliation. For whatever reason, my choices were Democrat, Republican, Other, and None. But first, how I got there.

I registered as a Democrat when I first registered to vote, just before the '92 election. At that time, I was "kind of" liberal (for growing up in a somewhat rural area in western PA), and pretty much all of my relatives were registered that way, so it made sense. I was not really into politics at that young age, however.

As I got into my late 20s, I started to realize I was becoming more conservative, so a few years later, when it was time to renew my driver's license, I changed to Republican. I still remember the day at work when I told my coworker Anne that I was really a Republican. She told me she had known it for years. During the 2008 election, I was on board with John McCain running for president, mostly because I thought he was a good pe…

My first and hopefully my last biposy (or I would rather be at the beach)

This past Monday afternoon I had my biopsy. Up until Sunday night, I was not worried. In fact, I was never really concerned about having cancer; it was the needle part that bothered me. As it turns out, there is more than a needle; there is an actual incision. So it was not surprising that I only got a few hours of sleep. But on a positive note, I cruised right down the Parkway that morning, being the Monday before the 4th, so there was that.

I got there at the prescribed 30 minutes ahead of time; in fact, it was probably close to 35 minutes! I had to wait about 10 minutes, during which I could feel my seat vibrate (still not sure about that; I was tired but I don't think I was imaging it). Then I went back, changed, and waited in the "gowned waiting area" for no more than 5 minutes. Not even enough time to find out whose twins Jennifer Garner was pregnant with! WARNING: What follows will be detailed, though not too graphic.

Then I went back to a room, where someone as…