Skip to main content

I'm a Roman numeral!

Last night, while my kid was (very slowly) getting ready for bed, she announced those words above. I was in the next room and had no clue what she was talking about, although the day before she asked me what V with three lines means (referring to VIII). So I walked into the hall to find Jordan standing in front of the full-length mirror, clearly pretending to wear a toga. I laughed out loud and said, "Oh, you are pretending to wear a toga. You are funny." Then Jordan asked if I was going to put that on Facebook. Of course I did (the exchange, not the picture). When I asked her today how she knows about togas and the Romans, she said she saw something about it awhile ago in a show called "Time Warp Trio." Good to see there are (or at least were) some educational cartoons out there (but for my money, "Phineas and Ferb" rules!).

Seven is an interesting age. My kid is so much more independent. She can actually play by herself for an hour or more (I realize a lot of kids much younger than she have probably been doing this since they were 4, but whatever). She has definite ideas about what she likes and does not. I am happy to say she is actually a pretty good Penguins fan (both the animal and the hockey team, and she manages to mesh the two at times). She did a book report on Penguins just before Christmas, and she wrote a small "Go Penguins!" sign, which she attached to a stuffed penguin that she has displayed in our front window along with a Pittsburgh Penguins sign she made. I thought it was great yesterday when we drove by a billboard with a picture of Penguin Evgeni Malkin and she knew it was he. When we were playing a game last night and she had a to pick a number between 1 and 20, she picked 18, "because I think that is Niskanen's number. I think Neal's is 2" (two players the Pens traded for just this week). She ended up having the numbers reversed, but what seven-year-old girl knows that? I don't even know all the "regular" Penguins' numbers, and I watch pretty much every game!

I will have to save our communion dress shopping for another post. But I will toss in the below pic of our first and hopefully last snowman this winter. The yard sure looks sad, but gappy grin and her silly snowman look just fine.



Jordan is sitting here right now leaning over my shoulder. I begged her last night to sleep in until 8. She ended up asleep until about 8:30 a.m., whereas I, still waking myself up with a cough one week later, woke up at 6:45 a.m. Grr. Anyway, she asked me not to write anything else about her. And because she is such a good reader, she is reading every word I type. I do have to say that Jordan has also become a good little writer. It is weird/cool to watch her write little notes and actually put sentiments in cards. Who knows? In a few years, maybe she will have a blog!

Hi! I'm Jordan!

(Editor's note: The above was written by Jordan, probably obviously, just before we headed downstairs for breakfast. Luckily, unlike most of her peers, she spends very little time on the computer, so she has no idea how to actually get to this blog to actually read it on her own. But in a few years...)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a year 2021 has been (Day 7)

I have almost no words for what happened yesterday at the Capitol. Protesting is one thing (though I truly think it is and has been time to move on). But to storm the Capitol? A friend on Facebook said, quite simply, " Almost 20 years ago a group of people on an airplane sacrificed themselves to protect the Capitol. How far we have fallen!" Indeed. And, yes, it IS storming the Capitol. I have seen numerous videos of people knocking down barricades/fences, pushing police officers, and breaking windows and climbing through them. That is beyond protesting. And even if a protestor did not do those things, if they followed those seditionists past those barricades and into the building, they are just as guilty. I did not support the violent protests this summer that resulted in damages to businesses and public property (I was in full support of the actual protests). But I also acknowledged as a white person, I cannot truly put myself in the position of a black person who is angry a

Melancholy and Gratitude

 A few days ago, I decided to do gratitude posts on FB. I was good the first two days. Day 3 I got a little snarky as I posted about "doing the right thing" in regards to Covid. The Covid cases in Allegheny County have been on the rise. For a while, we had daily counts between 50 and 100. After July 4, we saw a spike for a few weeks, and then cases were back below 100. Unfortunately, other than one "low" day this week, where "only" 288 cases were reported, we have had between 500 and 620 daily cases. Fortunately, only a few people have died this week. But of course, any death is too many. I started to keep track of cases, deaths, and hospitalizations on 6/12/20. On that day, since 3/12, Allegheny County had had 2,034 cases, 352 people had been hospitalized, and 172 people had died. On 11/19/20, the county has seen a total of 22,042 cases, 1,724 people have been hospitalized, and 465 people have died from Covid since 3/12. In just over 8 months, we have had

Hug your loved ones!

I hate to say that I am still working through my grief. I mean, in some ways I can imagine I will always be grieving. But I feel pretty confident it will get easier, and I will cry less and less. But, yeah, I guess I am still working through it. Yesterday, a thought occurred to me: I had not hugged my dad since the end of February, and that will now be the last time I ever did. I did not see him for almost three months because of COVID, and then at the end of May, he started his series of hospital visits with skilled nursing stints in between. I was always afraid to hug him then. What if I gave him COVID? And yet when my dad had really bad ICU delirium during a few different hospital stays, I fed him. If I could do that, why not hug him? So I cried a bit last night thinking about that. I am not necessarily a big hugger; I used to hate it, and then probably before Jordan was born, I got back to doing it again. Before COVID, I hugged my friends goodbye (and sometimes hello). I always wou