Skip to main content

I've got the power!

Well, not really. Or maybe, actually. But apparently quite a few people think there is power in 32 counties in western PA, OH, MD, and WV.

Last year, my older brother, who works for the Greater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce, emailed me a link to a naming contest for that 32 county region. I have no idea what name I suggested, but I do know I did not win (because, as I have blogged about several times, I apparently no longer win anything). A few months ago, perhaps, I started receiving newsletters for the Power of 32 (the eventual name winner). Before too long, I figured out why I was receiving these newsletters, and I actually started reading parts of them, thinking maybe it was something I could get involved in.

So what is the Power of 32? Here is some info from the Facebook page: A grant-funded, two-year visioning project that provides an opportunity for every resident of the 32-county, 4-state region to participate in creating a shared vision for the region's best future. The Power of 32 differs from any other planning effort in that the 32-county region has common challenges and opportunities in the global economy, but is larger than the scope of any one political entity, authority, or organization. The project does not have a pre-determined set of issues, and aims to include the broadest possible public participation from both people within the region and former residents around the globe.

So how does this work? I received an email on Tuesday, reminding me a "Community Conversation" meeting was being held in Monroeville (and many, many other locations in the region) that evening, so I coerced Brian into taking Jordan to craft class at the library, and away I went, not really knowing what to expect.

So what happened? I talked to probably a dozen or more of the approximately 25 attendees. We discussed why we decided to come; what a thriving region looks like; what key challenges must be addressed for our region to thrive; what key strengths we can build on; and what one or two possibilities must be pursued to ensure the region thrives and why.

Most of the people I talked to were on planning commissions or involved in local orgs; I wish we would have gone around the room so I could have heard everyone's reason. Me? Deep down, I am an optimist, and though I very much want to stay in the region, I realize it has its faults, most of which (hopefully) are not insurmountable. As for the discussion topics, the common denominators involved education (there is inequity from community to community), brain drain, unemployment, and becoming more green, all issues that I am concerned about. I also brought up that too many people accept things as they are and don't bother to get involved or educate themselves about what is going on (e.g, just pull the voting lever without thinking).

An interesting and controversial issue: Several people in my group were all for the Marcellus Shale drilling. Although that has the potential to bring in money/jobs, it scares me. However, as I said on another blog, I am trying to keep an open mind, and I am telling myself we are smarter and know more today than we did 20 or 30 years ago So if this goes forward, maybe it can be done with minimal risk. Some group members were all, "Look at Houston and how oil bankrolls them." I don't know.

So what happens next? Someone is gathering all the ideas we and all the other meeting groups throughout the region came up with (we put them on post-its and the facilitators placed them on large sheets of paper with headings). That info will be entered on a website and then analyzed for the next phase (not sure what that is). In the meantime, there will be additional meetings in other places. It is not clear to me if they will have different agendas, but perhaps if I read my booklet and/or go to the website, I will find out. There will be another meeting in my area at the end of the month, which I will probably go to.
 
Please consider checking out the site or visiting the Facebook page if you are so inclined. Maybe even go to a meeting; it will only take a couple of hours. If you are into leadership, there are opportunities for that as well. I think it is a little pie in the sky, but you have to start somewhere. Doing the same thing over and over is just not cutting it.
 
Now you've got the power!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a year 2021 has been (Day 7)

I have almost no words for what happened yesterday at the Capitol. Protesting is one thing (though I truly think it is and has been time to move on). But to storm the Capitol? A friend on Facebook said, quite simply, " Almost 20 years ago a group of people on an airplane sacrificed themselves to protect the Capitol. How far we have fallen!" Indeed. And, yes, it IS storming the Capitol. I have seen numerous videos of people knocking down barricades/fences, pushing police officers, and breaking windows and climbing through them. That is beyond protesting. And even if a protestor did not do those things, if they followed those seditionists past those barricades and into the building, they are just as guilty. I did not support the violent protests this summer that resulted in damages to businesses and public property (I was in full support of the actual protests). But I also acknowledged as a white person, I cannot truly put myself in the position of a black person who is angry a

Melancholy and Gratitude

 A few days ago, I decided to do gratitude posts on FB. I was good the first two days. Day 3 I got a little snarky as I posted about "doing the right thing" in regards to Covid. The Covid cases in Allegheny County have been on the rise. For a while, we had daily counts between 50 and 100. After July 4, we saw a spike for a few weeks, and then cases were back below 100. Unfortunately, other than one "low" day this week, where "only" 288 cases were reported, we have had between 500 and 620 daily cases. Fortunately, only a few people have died this week. But of course, any death is too many. I started to keep track of cases, deaths, and hospitalizations on 6/12/20. On that day, since 3/12, Allegheny County had had 2,034 cases, 352 people had been hospitalized, and 172 people had died. On 11/19/20, the county has seen a total of 22,042 cases, 1,724 people have been hospitalized, and 465 people have died from Covid since 3/12. In just over 8 months, we have had

Hug your loved ones!

I hate to say that I am still working through my grief. I mean, in some ways I can imagine I will always be grieving. But I feel pretty confident it will get easier, and I will cry less and less. But, yeah, I guess I am still working through it. Yesterday, a thought occurred to me: I had not hugged my dad since the end of February, and that will now be the last time I ever did. I did not see him for almost three months because of COVID, and then at the end of May, he started his series of hospital visits with skilled nursing stints in between. I was always afraid to hug him then. What if I gave him COVID? And yet when my dad had really bad ICU delirium during a few different hospital stays, I fed him. If I could do that, why not hug him? So I cried a bit last night thinking about that. I am not necessarily a big hugger; I used to hate it, and then probably before Jordan was born, I got back to doing it again. Before COVID, I hugged my friends goodbye (and sometimes hello). I always wou