Skip to main content

Running like the wind

Well, more akin to running like a gentle breeze.

Jordan is done with school at 2:30 p.m. The pick-up process involves parents backing into spaces and waiting for the children. Once every car has a child(ren), the teacher on duty dismisses the cars one at a time. There are about 40 to 50 spaces for cars; however, there are always more cars than that. If you don't make the first cut, you have to wait for the entire, one-by-one dismissal process before you get to back into a space. Most parents are not fond of the second wave, so people start arriving before 2 p.m. to ensure a space. Once I arrived at 1:52 and I was the fifth car. Crazy.

But I have decided to make good use of my time, thanks to the great weather we have been having. At first, I started walking around the neighborhood for up to 30 minutes. Last week, I decided to try running again, something I had not really done since I ran the Steelers 5k three years ago. The first day went well. I managed to run (and by run, I really mean jog) about eight minutes without too much trouble. The second day was a bit more challenging. Yesterday, I ran about 10 minutes, walked for one, and then ran another seven. My best day yet.

I was feeling pretty good until I realized I was running about a 12-minute mile. Considering I can walk a mile in under 15 minutes, this was a bit disheartening. And when I used to run 5ks, I would average under a nine-minute mile. But I have to remember that I am in my late 30s and have not run in years. And the road has some hills (I know, how odd for Pittsburgh).

Instead of beating myself up for not being what I once was, I should be patting myself on the back for getting back in the saddle, trying to do something more challenging than walking, and not polluting the environment by running my car for 30 minutes like so many other parents. I have read and heard so much about health care over the past few months, and I don't want to be one who does not take care of myself. Of course, there are not guarantees in life, and just because you exercise does not mean you will stay healthy (Brian would say I am just ruining my joints by running).

I am going to try to stick with this exercise for awhile, at least when it is not raining; once the snow comes, I can probably still walk, but we will see.

Wish me luck and no nasty falls.

Comments

Facie :-) said…
I did today's mile in about 11 minutes, might have been a little less. An improvement. But to hear me puff, you would think I was on the verge of a heart-attack. Good times!
chris h. said…
I've never been able to run -- even when I was young -- so I really admire your ability and willingness to get back into it. It's always so hard to start back on an exercise program after slacking off -- that's something I know all about! You go, girl!

Popular posts from this blog

Worry

Lately, I have had some anxiety. I have been waking up within an hour of when I fall asleep (partially because my bladder has its own timetable). And then I lie awake, worrying about various things. Mostly I worry that I am failing as a parent. I worry that I allow my child to be disrespectful to me more than she should. I worry that I am not forcing my shy child to do more things. And I worry that the few things I am pushing her to do will make her resent me. I worry that she gets stressed about school. I worry that she is bothered because she does not have a lot of friends. I worry because I don't know why that is.

I worry that we will be stuck in our house in our bad school district, a place where we would not send our child to high school when she graduates in two years (two years!). Then I worry that our somewhat introverted child will have to go to cyber school. Because there is just no way that we could afford to send her to Catholic high school, for which tuition is curren…

Why I am an "Other"

Last month while I was getting my driver's license picture taken, I tried to change my political party affiliation. For whatever reason, my choices were Democrat, Republican, Other, and None. But first, how I got there.

I registered as a Democrat when I first registered to vote, just before the '92 election. At that time, I was "kind of" liberal (for growing up in a somewhat rural area in western PA), and pretty much all of my relatives were registered that way, so it made sense. I was not really into politics at that young age, however.

As I got into my late 20s, I started to realize I was becoming more conservative, so a few years later, when it was time to renew my driver's license, I changed to Republican. I still remember the day at work when I told my coworker Anne that I was really a Republican. She told me she had known it for years. During the 2008 election, I was on board with John McCain running for president, mostly because I thought he was a good pe…

My first and hopefully my last biposy (or I would rather be at the beach)

This past Monday afternoon I had my biopsy. Up until Sunday night, I was not worried. In fact, I was never really concerned about having cancer; it was the needle part that bothered me. As it turns out, there is more than a needle; there is an actual incision. So it was not surprising that I only got a few hours of sleep. But on a positive note, I cruised right down the Parkway that morning, being the Monday before the 4th, so there was that.

I got there at the prescribed 30 minutes ahead of time; in fact, it was probably close to 35 minutes! I had to wait about 10 minutes, during which I could feel my seat vibrate (still not sure about that; I was tired but I don't think I was imaging it). Then I went back, changed, and waited in the "gowned waiting area" for no more than 5 minutes. Not even enough time to find out whose twins Jennifer Garner was pregnant with! WARNING: What follows will be detailed, though not too graphic.

Then I went back to a room, where someone as…