Skip to main content

Doing the right thing

Often when Jordan and I are in the car together, she hears me telling people at the bus stop to have a nice day or profusely thanking and blessing the people who let me in their lanes. Jordan typically reminds me that these people can't hear what I am saying since the windows are up and we are driving by. But I tell her I like to say nice things and perhaps these people are feeling my good vibes.

As much as I can, I try to let cars turn in front of me, so much so that Jordan will sometimes ask why I did not let a car go. Most of the time it is because traffic is moving, and doing so could cause an accident. But she gets that it is a nice thing to do. And it is such a simple thing to do.

The "theme" for Jordan's school this year is kindness. I truly believe if we could all make an effort to be kinder, the world would be a better place. I sometimes wonder what makes people unkind. Are we all too busy in our lives to let a person with a couple of items go ahead of us in line? Is it that important that we get to our destination one minute sooner so we therefore cannot let that person merge into our lane? Can we not say hi to our neighbors and strangers alike? Can't kids let another child join their group? Why don't mothers who have been buddies since last year chat with moms of new students?

Jordan told me the other day that A, a girl in the other first grade class, said she hated one of Jordan's friends, B. I said to Jordan that A clearly did not listen to Sister and Father at mass that morning when they talked about being kind. I also asked Jordan why A said such a mean thing, and Jordan said A said B was weird or something. Then Jordan said she told A that that was not a nice thing to say.

I was glad Jordan stood up for her friend, but it left me feeling sad that a young girl can be so mean. And I also wondered if A would now be mean to Jordan because she stood up for B. A few months ago, Jordan ran into A at the church festival and hugged her, a little excessively. I could see A giving Jordan an annoyed look, but fortunately Jordan did not notice this. But I did, and it bothered me. Jordan was just trying to be nice, though I did tell Jordan in front of A that a simple hug was enough.

I tell Jordan over and over again that she does not have to be everyone's friend, but she does have to be kind to everyone as much as she can. I am trying to practice what I preach. Every day, I try to do the right thing. Sometimes I fail. But I keep trying.

Comments

Facie :-) said…
Sadly, a day or two after the "hate" incident, B, the girl that Jordan stuck up for, ran away from Jordan. Jordan kept trying to talk to/play with B, but she would have no part of it. I was not there, so I don't really know what went down. J did say the next day that B apologized, so at least there is that.

I encourage Jordan to play with a variety of kids, and if another kid tries to join their group, I suggest Jordan invite that person to play with them. But I also tell J if she really doesn't want to play with someone to tell them in a nice way. I *think* she does that, but I have seen too many times kids just being plain mean.

Popular posts from this blog

Worry

Lately, I have had some anxiety. I have been waking up within an hour of when I fall asleep (partially because my bladder has its own timetable). And then I lie awake, worrying about various things. Mostly I worry that I am failing as a parent. I worry that I allow my child to be disrespectful to me more than she should. I worry that I am not forcing my shy child to do more things. And I worry that the few things I am pushing her to do will make her resent me. I worry that she gets stressed about school. I worry that she is bothered because she does not have a lot of friends. I worry because I don't know why that is.

I worry that we will be stuck in our house in our bad school district, a place where we would not send our child to high school when she graduates in two years (two years!). Then I worry that our somewhat introverted child will have to go to cyber school. Because there is just no way that we could afford to send her to Catholic high school, for which tuition is curren…

Why I am an "Other"

Last month while I was getting my driver's license picture taken, I tried to change my political party affiliation. For whatever reason, my choices were Democrat, Republican, Other, and None. But first, how I got there.

I registered as a Democrat when I first registered to vote, just before the '92 election. At that time, I was "kind of" liberal (for growing up in a somewhat rural area in western PA), and pretty much all of my relatives were registered that way, so it made sense. I was not really into politics at that young age, however.

As I got into my late 20s, I started to realize I was becoming more conservative, so a few years later, when it was time to renew my driver's license, I changed to Republican. I still remember the day at work when I told my coworker Anne that I was really a Republican. She told me she had known it for years. During the 2008 election, I was on board with John McCain running for president, mostly because I thought he was a good pe…

My first and hopefully my last biposy (or I would rather be at the beach)

This past Monday afternoon I had my biopsy. Up until Sunday night, I was not worried. In fact, I was never really concerned about having cancer; it was the needle part that bothered me. As it turns out, there is more than a needle; there is an actual incision. So it was not surprising that I only got a few hours of sleep. But on a positive note, I cruised right down the Parkway that morning, being the Monday before the 4th, so there was that.

I got there at the prescribed 30 minutes ahead of time; in fact, it was probably close to 35 minutes! I had to wait about 10 minutes, during which I could feel my seat vibrate (still not sure about that; I was tired but I don't think I was imaging it). Then I went back, changed, and waited in the "gowned waiting area" for no more than 5 minutes. Not even enough time to find out whose twins Jennifer Garner was pregnant with! WARNING: What follows will be detailed, though not too graphic.

Then I went back to a room, where someone as…