Skip to main content

Doing the right thing

Often when Jordan and I are in the car together, she hears me telling people at the bus stop to have a nice day or profusely thanking and blessing the people who let me in their lanes. Jordan typically reminds me that these people can't hear what I am saying since the windows are up and we are driving by. But I tell her I like to say nice things and perhaps these people are feeling my good vibes.

As much as I can, I try to let cars turn in front of me, so much so that Jordan will sometimes ask why I did not let a car go. Most of the time it is because traffic is moving, and doing so could cause an accident. But she gets that it is a nice thing to do. And it is such a simple thing to do.

The "theme" for Jordan's school this year is kindness. I truly believe if we could all make an effort to be kinder, the world would be a better place. I sometimes wonder what makes people unkind. Are we all too busy in our lives to let a person with a couple of items go ahead of us in line? Is it that important that we get to our destination one minute sooner so we therefore cannot let that person merge into our lane? Can we not say hi to our neighbors and strangers alike? Can't kids let another child join their group? Why don't mothers who have been buddies since last year chat with moms of new students?

Jordan told me the other day that A, a girl in the other first grade class, said she hated one of Jordan's friends, B. I said to Jordan that A clearly did not listen to Sister and Father at mass that morning when they talked about being kind. I also asked Jordan why A said such a mean thing, and Jordan said A said B was weird or something. Then Jordan said she told A that that was not a nice thing to say.

I was glad Jordan stood up for her friend, but it left me feeling sad that a young girl can be so mean. And I also wondered if A would now be mean to Jordan because she stood up for B. A few months ago, Jordan ran into A at the church festival and hugged her, a little excessively. I could see A giving Jordan an annoyed look, but fortunately Jordan did not notice this. But I did, and it bothered me. Jordan was just trying to be nice, though I did tell Jordan in front of A that a simple hug was enough.

I tell Jordan over and over again that she does not have to be everyone's friend, but she does have to be kind to everyone as much as she can. I am trying to practice what I preach. Every day, I try to do the right thing. Sometimes I fail. But I keep trying.

Comments

Facie said…
Sadly, a day or two after the "hate" incident, B, the girl that Jordan stuck up for, ran away from Jordan. Jordan kept trying to talk to/play with B, but she would have no part of it. I was not there, so I don't really know what went down. J did say the next day that B apologized, so at least there is that.

I encourage Jordan to play with a variety of kids, and if another kid tries to join their group, I suggest Jordan invite that person to play with them. But I also tell J if she really doesn't want to play with someone to tell them in a nice way. I *think* she does that, but I have seen too many times kids just being plain mean.

Popular posts from this blog

What a year 2021 has been (Day 7)

I have almost no words for what happened yesterday at the Capitol. Protesting is one thing (though I truly think it is and has been time to move on). But to storm the Capitol? A friend on Facebook said, quite simply, " Almost 20 years ago a group of people on an airplane sacrificed themselves to protect the Capitol. How far we have fallen!" Indeed. And, yes, it IS storming the Capitol. I have seen numerous videos of people knocking down barricades/fences, pushing police officers, and breaking windows and climbing through them. That is beyond protesting. And even if a protestor did not do those things, if they followed those seditionists past those barricades and into the building, they are just as guilty. I did not support the violent protests this summer that resulted in damages to businesses and public property (I was in full support of the actual protests). But I also acknowledged as a white person, I cannot truly put myself in the position of a black person who is angry a

Melancholy and Gratitude

 A few days ago, I decided to do gratitude posts on FB. I was good the first two days. Day 3 I got a little snarky as I posted about "doing the right thing" in regards to Covid. The Covid cases in Allegheny County have been on the rise. For a while, we had daily counts between 50 and 100. After July 4, we saw a spike for a few weeks, and then cases were back below 100. Unfortunately, other than one "low" day this week, where "only" 288 cases were reported, we have had between 500 and 620 daily cases. Fortunately, only a few people have died this week. But of course, any death is too many. I started to keep track of cases, deaths, and hospitalizations on 6/12/20. On that day, since 3/12, Allegheny County had had 2,034 cases, 352 people had been hospitalized, and 172 people had died. On 11/19/20, the county has seen a total of 22,042 cases, 1,724 people have been hospitalized, and 465 people have died from Covid since 3/12. In just over 8 months, we have had

What, me worry?!

Although I don't like creepy, crawly things, I am not afraid of them and am perfectly able to kill them when I see them. I like the dark, heights don't bother me too much (though I don't love them), and ghosts don't concern me (not sure if they are real, but have not ruled them out either). So what worries me and sometimes keeps me awake at night (or infiltrates me dreams)? This first one is really, really strange, and kind of gross: overflowing toilets. This goes back to a time when I was in high school, and upon flushing the toilet in the "big bathroom" of our house, the water starting pouring over the seat. I freaked out! I can still picture it happening and my subsequent panicking as water flowed onto the floor. I don't recall who was at home who came to my rescue and, presumably, turned the water off. What I do recall is being afraid to flush the toilet when I was home alone after that for weeks if not longer. Fortunately, I have never overflowed a