Skip to main content

High expectations or low people?

I like to think of myself as a pretty good friend overall, and most of my friends would probably agree, at least insofar as the effort I make to maintain the friendship. But lately, I am considering trimming a few friendship tree branches.

Over the last year or so, I had initiated a few (successful) play dates with a woman and her daughter who was in Jordan's class. Two weeks ago, I sent this woman, whom I now consider a friend, a note via Facebook to let her know Jordan and I would be at a certain park that weekend if she wanted to join us. She posted a comment on my "wall" saying they couldn't but that she did want to get together so how about the following week. We exchanged a few posts about dates, and the last post I sent was agreeing to the day she suggested. A few days later, the date came, and I called her house that morning to figure out when and where we should meet. I ended up leaving a message as she did not answer. An hour or so later, when I still had not heard back, I called her cell phone and left another message. Both said something like, "Hey, wanted to make sure we were still on for today. Call me to let me know."

Here it is, six days later, and she has yet to return my calls. For the first few days, I was genuinely concerned, thinking maybe something happened to one of her kids. But she has since been on Facebook, everything seemingly okay according to her status updates. So what gives?

A fellow blogger said that not everyone checks her voice mail every day, so I should give her the benefit of the doubt that maybe she did not get the message. I say that is a bunch of crap. I find it hard to believe you would check neither your home nor your cell phone in six days. This fellow blogger also said that it did not seem as if we made an official date via Facebook, since there was no phone call, with real, live talking. Again, I disagree. We posted several messages about dates until this friend picked a date and then I agreed. How is that not setting a date?

Part of me wants to call or email this woman, to see what happened and to be (what I consider) the better person. But a bigger part of me is growing tired of almost always being the one to make the effort. If this is how this person is, do I really want to be friends with her? I have done it with too many friends I have had for years. I am just not sure I have the heart to do it for someone I have known for less than two years.

It really feels like dating, the bad part. Sigh.

But I would love for any of you to tell me that my expectations are too high, that I care too much, that, no, we really did not make a date and/or everyone doesn't check voice mail weekly. Or something else. Really.

Comments

Anonymous said…
It does seem like you made a date. And even if she thought you did not the fact that you left her a message on two different phones and she has not called you back, I would be mad. Really what are the chances that someone does not check at least one of their phones or that both phones would die the same week?!!!!!

Unless you ask you will probably never know if she really did have a good excuse or if she does not want to be your friend (or her kid does not want to be your kid's friend) or that both phones died!

Then again, even if you talk to her you still might not know the answer. People aren't always truthful when it comes to things like this.
Mel said…
Trim the branch from the tree. Life's too short. Unless it's your kid's best friend, no need to put yourself through the anguish.
Facie said…
As I said to another friend who shared her thoughts, I still might email her, just to see. She got me thinking that maybe the message on her phone got erased and she does not check her cell phone. But even if that is true, SHE still could have called ME to see what happened. Why do I always have to be the one to plan these things?!

You are right, Mel, about trimming the tree. But at the same time, over the last four to six years, I have discovered that I have only a very few friends that do not always leave it up to me to get together and keep in touch. I have learned to accept that all my other friends are just too busy, and/or just don't think it is important enough for them to initiate things, and/or just don't consider me a really good friend to do those things.

I am pretty okay with keeping those people in my lives, knowing what I am in for and accepting our relationship for as casual as it is.
Facie said…
In my last sentence, I meant keeping people in my "life" not "lives." I am assuming I have only one earthly life (and even if not, I have only one life that I know about).

Also, Jordan really did consider this girl one of her best friends (top two for sure). But since they are not going to the same school in the fall, really no big deal. I will post back if I do end up emailing this woman.

Popular posts from this blog

Why do they stand up there and say that when they are just lying?

That extra-long title is courtesy of my nine-year-old and was something she uttered during "Say Yes to the Dress" on Friday evening. I watch very little reality TV, but I make an exception for this show because I like to look at the dresses. And sometimes, the stories are heart-warming. Typically at the end of the show, a snippet of a wedding is aired. In this particular show, a woman who was confined to a wheelchair was exchanging vows with her fiance. After the two of them finished, J made her comment. I asked her what she meant as I must have been on the computer while the TV was on, and she explained that because so many people just get divorced, why do they even say "as long as we both shall live"? That is tough one, kid. I tried with what I thought was a sound explanation: Most of the people who get married truly believe they will be together the rest of their lives, but sometimes it just doesn't work out. But if you don't think that you will be ...

TMI

When I refer to TMI, I am not talking about people sharing (often gross) things they probably should not. But rather sharing a friend's or a relative's personal information with a spouse or significant other. I know people who have cheated on their spouses, had abortions, have been raped or victims of domestic violence, committed (minor) criminal acts, did not disclose things to the government that they should have, suffered from various mental aliments, and who have been drug addicts or alcoholics. In most cases, I have not shared that information with Brian unless the person told me I could or I felt he needed to know for family safety issues (e.g., you have to consider who you let your children around). I am certain he would think less of some of these people if he knew things they did, so what purpose does it serve telling him? But more importantly, I want these people who confide in me to know they have my word. I can honestly say I don't think I can trust any of ...

Do you ever just want to run away...

Yesterday's post was a rant about a fairly pointless two-hour delay. For the record, if it is snowing in the morning or if it has snowed throughout the night, I am not against a delay; the road crews have a lot of ground to cover. It is unfortunate for those who still need to get to work and are left scrambling to find child care or have to go in late. But I am all about safety. It is the temps that are clearly going nowhere any time soon that do not warrant a delay, again, in my opinion. It will be cold all day today. Having another delay today, once again, seemed pointless, but I am over it. ***** I had a rough weekend, and I have debated whether I should write about it. As my mom and one of my brothers are so fond of saying (though I will be paraphrasing), "Once you put it down in writing (on paper or in an email), it will always be there. You can't take it back." For that reason, when things weigh heavily on my mind, I don't always share them in this blog....