Skip to main content

Party like it's 2009


This past weekend I attended my 20-year high school reunion. It does not seem as if 10 years has (or is it "have"?) passed since the last one (well, technically 10 years hasn't past, since our 10-year reunion was in the fall of 1999). But as we all know, time marches on.


Two things struck me about this reunion as compared to the last one.


1. I cared so much less what people thought this time around.


Ten years ago, I was focused on my appearance. For that reunion, I was hoping to drop a few pounds, since I was pretty skinny in high school. This time around, I figured this is who I am, and this is what I have weighed for almost 20 years now, so why be something I am not. I was also not so concerned about what I wore this time, but I decided to heed my friend Jennie's advice and make an effort on my appearance, something I rarely do.


Last time I also wanted people to think I was successful. In fact, as I probably have written before, I got my boss to agree to change my title from editorial assistant to editor, just in time for the reunion. In all fairness, I really wasn't an editorial assistant anymore, but, regardless, I just thought editor sounded more impressive. As you know, I don't have a job now. And yet, oddly enough, I really was not bothered by that. In fact, most people did not even ask me what I did. Mostly people talked about where you lived or how many kids you have. And in my case, at least a half dozen people found it necessary to ask why I was not going to have any more kids. (I will save that rant for another post.)


I am not in the same place as I was 10 years ago. Most noteworthy, I have a child who means the world to me. Almost everything else is rather insignificant.


2. Thanks to Facebook and a website dedicated to our class, most of us have kept up to date on one another.


This means I knew what most of my classmates looked like, what their marital status is, and what is going on in their lives. Last year, before I was on Facebook, I was so excited about seeing everyone, since I had not seen most of my classmates in 10 or 20 years. But a few months ago, I realized the evening probably would not live up to the hype, just because there were very few people I knew nothing about.


Fortunately, my mind is like a sieve, so I forgot about half of what I read about everyone. And for most people, pictures do not do them justice. But most importantly, seeing and talking to someone LIVE is totally different from online communications. You just cannot replace human contact. Plus you cannot dance with each other online!


I am glad I went. I had a good time. And perhaps not another 10 (or 20) years will go by before I see most of these people again. Regardless, it will be interesting to see how things have changed then.

Comments

chris h. said…
It's good you had fun -- I wish I had been more into high school. I went to my 20th with two friends (from grade school), who were pretty much the only ones from high school I still kept in touch with. Aside from seeing one old friend for about 30 seconds, I thought it was a drag, and decided I wouldn't go to another. Lots of people found it much more interesting to gather around the class pictures from the various grade schools we all went to that were posted around the room. Now that was fun. I must have peaked in 6th grade.
Facie said…
At one point, I WAS bored, and I even called up Brian to see if he would make the 50-minute, one-way drive to get me. But I decided that I would dance some more and talk to a few more people, and then it ended up fine.

I mostly hung around the few people I had kept in touch with over the years, but I did try to talk to almost everyone. I much preferred college to high school, but having a PSU reunion, when there was 35k people there when I went, would not be feasible!

Popular posts from this blog

What a year 2021 has been (Day 7)

I have almost no words for what happened yesterday at the Capitol. Protesting is one thing (though I truly think it is and has been time to move on). But to storm the Capitol? A friend on Facebook said, quite simply, " Almost 20 years ago a group of people on an airplane sacrificed themselves to protect the Capitol. How far we have fallen!" Indeed. And, yes, it IS storming the Capitol. I have seen numerous videos of people knocking down barricades/fences, pushing police officers, and breaking windows and climbing through them. That is beyond protesting. And even if a protestor did not do those things, if they followed those seditionists past those barricades and into the building, they are just as guilty. I did not support the violent protests this summer that resulted in damages to businesses and public property (I was in full support of the actual protests). But I also acknowledged as a white person, I cannot truly put myself in the position of a black person who is angry a

Melancholy and Gratitude

 A few days ago, I decided to do gratitude posts on FB. I was good the first two days. Day 3 I got a little snarky as I posted about "doing the right thing" in regards to Covid. The Covid cases in Allegheny County have been on the rise. For a while, we had daily counts between 50 and 100. After July 4, we saw a spike for a few weeks, and then cases were back below 100. Unfortunately, other than one "low" day this week, where "only" 288 cases were reported, we have had between 500 and 620 daily cases. Fortunately, only a few people have died this week. But of course, any death is too many. I started to keep track of cases, deaths, and hospitalizations on 6/12/20. On that day, since 3/12, Allegheny County had had 2,034 cases, 352 people had been hospitalized, and 172 people had died. On 11/19/20, the county has seen a total of 22,042 cases, 1,724 people have been hospitalized, and 465 people have died from Covid since 3/12. In just over 8 months, we have had

What, me worry?!

Although I don't like creepy, crawly things, I am not afraid of them and am perfectly able to kill them when I see them. I like the dark, heights don't bother me too much (though I don't love them), and ghosts don't concern me (not sure if they are real, but have not ruled them out either). So what worries me and sometimes keeps me awake at night (or infiltrates me dreams)? This first one is really, really strange, and kind of gross: overflowing toilets. This goes back to a time when I was in high school, and upon flushing the toilet in the "big bathroom" of our house, the water starting pouring over the seat. I freaked out! I can still picture it happening and my subsequent panicking as water flowed onto the floor. I don't recall who was at home who came to my rescue and, presumably, turned the water off. What I do recall is being afraid to flush the toilet when I was home alone after that for weeks if not longer. Fortunately, I have never overflowed a