Skip to main content

High expectations or low people?

I like to think of myself as a pretty good friend overall, and most of my friends would probably agree, at least insofar as the effort I make to maintain the friendship. But lately, I am considering trimming a few friendship tree branches.

Over the last year or so, I had initiated a few (successful) play dates with a woman and her daughter who was in Jordan's class. Two weeks ago, I sent this woman, whom I now consider a friend, a note via Facebook to let her know Jordan and I would be at a certain park that weekend if she wanted to join us. She posted a comment on my "wall" saying they couldn't but that she did want to get together so how about the following week. We exchanged a few posts about dates, and the last post I sent was agreeing to the day she suggested. A few days later, the date came, and I called her house that morning to figure out when and where we should meet. I ended up leaving a message as she did not answer. An hour or so later, when I still had not heard back, I called her cell phone and left another message. Both said something like, "Hey, wanted to make sure we were still on for today. Call me to let me know."

Here it is, six days later, and she has yet to return my calls. For the first few days, I was genuinely concerned, thinking maybe something happened to one of her kids. But she has since been on Facebook, everything seemingly okay according to her status updates. So what gives?

A fellow blogger said that not everyone checks her voice mail every day, so I should give her the benefit of the doubt that maybe she did not get the message. I say that is a bunch of crap. I find it hard to believe you would check neither your home nor your cell phone in six days. This fellow blogger also said that it did not seem as if we made an official date via Facebook, since there was no phone call, with real, live talking. Again, I disagree. We posted several messages about dates until this friend picked a date and then I agreed. How is that not setting a date?

Part of me wants to call or email this woman, to see what happened and to be (what I consider) the better person. But a bigger part of me is growing tired of almost always being the one to make the effort. If this is how this person is, do I really want to be friends with her? I have done it with too many friends I have had for years. I am just not sure I have the heart to do it for someone I have known for less than two years.

It really feels like dating, the bad part. Sigh.

But I would love for any of you to tell me that my expectations are too high, that I care too much, that, no, we really did not make a date and/or everyone doesn't check voice mail weekly. Or something else. Really.

Comments

Anonymous said…
It does seem like you made a date. And even if she thought you did not the fact that you left her a message on two different phones and she has not called you back, I would be mad. Really what are the chances that someone does not check at least one of their phones or that both phones would die the same week?!!!!!

Unless you ask you will probably never know if she really did have a good excuse or if she does not want to be your friend (or her kid does not want to be your kid's friend) or that both phones died!

Then again, even if you talk to her you still might not know the answer. People aren't always truthful when it comes to things like this.
Mel said…
Trim the branch from the tree. Life's too short. Unless it's your kid's best friend, no need to put yourself through the anguish.
Facie :-) said…
As I said to another friend who shared her thoughts, I still might email her, just to see. She got me thinking that maybe the message on her phone got erased and she does not check her cell phone. But even if that is true, SHE still could have called ME to see what happened. Why do I always have to be the one to plan these things?!

You are right, Mel, about trimming the tree. But at the same time, over the last four to six years, I have discovered that I have only a very few friends that do not always leave it up to me to get together and keep in touch. I have learned to accept that all my other friends are just too busy, and/or just don't think it is important enough for them to initiate things, and/or just don't consider me a really good friend to do those things.

I am pretty okay with keeping those people in my lives, knowing what I am in for and accepting our relationship for as casual as it is.
Facie :-) said…
In my last sentence, I meant keeping people in my "life" not "lives." I am assuming I have only one earthly life (and even if not, I have only one life that I know about).

Also, Jordan really did consider this girl one of her best friends (top two for sure). But since they are not going to the same school in the fall, really no big deal. I will post back if I do end up emailing this woman.

Popular posts from this blog

Worry

Lately, I have had some anxiety. I have been waking up within an hour of when I fall asleep (partially because my bladder has its own timetable). And then I lie awake, worrying about various things. Mostly I worry that I am failing as a parent. I worry that I allow my child to be disrespectful to me more than she should. I worry that I am not forcing my shy child to do more things. And I worry that the few things I am pushing her to do will make her resent me. I worry that she gets stressed about school. I worry that she is bothered because she does not have a lot of friends. I worry because I don't know why that is.

I worry that we will be stuck in our house in our bad school district, a place where we would not send our child to high school when she graduates in two years (two years!). Then I worry that our somewhat introverted child will have to go to cyber school. Because there is just no way that we could afford to send her to Catholic high school, for which tuition is curren…

Why I am an "Other"

Last month while I was getting my driver's license picture taken, I tried to change my political party affiliation. For whatever reason, my choices were Democrat, Republican, Other, and None. But first, how I got there.

I registered as a Democrat when I first registered to vote, just before the '92 election. At that time, I was "kind of" liberal (for growing up in a somewhat rural area in western PA), and pretty much all of my relatives were registered that way, so it made sense. I was not really into politics at that young age, however.

As I got into my late 20s, I started to realize I was becoming more conservative, so a few years later, when it was time to renew my driver's license, I changed to Republican. I still remember the day at work when I told my coworker Anne that I was really a Republican. She told me she had known it for years. During the 2008 election, I was on board with John McCain running for president, mostly because I thought he was a good pe…

My first and hopefully my last biposy (or I would rather be at the beach)

This past Monday afternoon I had my biopsy. Up until Sunday night, I was not worried. In fact, I was never really concerned about having cancer; it was the needle part that bothered me. As it turns out, there is more than a needle; there is an actual incision. So it was not surprising that I only got a few hours of sleep. But on a positive note, I cruised right down the Parkway that morning, being the Monday before the 4th, so there was that.

I got there at the prescribed 30 minutes ahead of time; in fact, it was probably close to 35 minutes! I had to wait about 10 minutes, during which I could feel my seat vibrate (still not sure about that; I was tired but I don't think I was imaging it). Then I went back, changed, and waited in the "gowned waiting area" for no more than 5 minutes. Not even enough time to find out whose twins Jennifer Garner was pregnant with! WARNING: What follows will be detailed, though not too graphic.

Then I went back to a room, where someone as…