Skip to main content

The One

This past weekend, at the service for my former babysitter, I ran into the mom of a pretty good friend (partner in crime, really) from high school. I had met the mom only once, and did not recognize her. During our conversation, I found out her son he had moved back to area. I told her it would be great to hear from him or see him again, and she said she would tell him she ran into me. She asked if I was married and had kids, and I asked the same of her son. She said he had a girlfriend, but that she was not "the one." And then she said, "I think you were the one." I felt a little weird, but I managed to say something like he was a great guy/good friend. We both did like each other at different times, perhaps once at the same time, but it was just not meant to be.



But what is "the one" really? Except in very rare cases, I just don't believe there is only one person meant for each of us. After all, I have thought probably three or four different guys were "the one" and that does not even include the many crushes I had in high school, for the love of Pete! Quite a few years ago, some friends and I went to see a local band a number of times. About 4.5 years ago, the keyboardist passed away, leaving behind a young widow, a preschooler, and a son on the way. This poor woman, as evidenced by her online writings, was inconsolable for years. I felt so bad for her kids who it seemed were missing out on both parents due to this woman's grief. But I also thought if there was ever "the one," this guy was surely it for her.



I look at couples around me and wonder if they think their spouse is the one. In most cases, I really do think that these people have done a good job finding a person suitable for them. But I think it is quite possible that these same people could have been just as happy with another. I remember being in love in college, and after we broke up, I thought it was just awful to feel that for someone and then not end up with that person. But you get over it. You move on. And at some point, hopefully you can be glad that you had the opportunity to know love more than once.



The day after the mom made the comment about my being the one for her son, I was reminded of the time I ran into a high school crush at a wedding about six years ago. I decided to go up to this person and tell him I liked him at one time. I thought maybe he would be flattered. A lot of years had passed, and I was happily married, so what was the harm. But instead, he looked really embarrassed and said nothing. Maybe he felt the same way. Or, more likely, he never felt anything toward me, the skinny girl with braces and glasses, and was afraid it would hurt my feelings. If only he knew that he was one of probably 20 guys I liked during my high school years...


So here is hoping you have found the one that you think is the one. Or, hopefully you can at least love the one you're with. But just remember, it is better to have lost in love, than never to have loved at all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a year 2021 has been (Day 7)

I have almost no words for what happened yesterday at the Capitol. Protesting is one thing (though I truly think it is and has been time to move on). But to storm the Capitol? A friend on Facebook said, quite simply, " Almost 20 years ago a group of people on an airplane sacrificed themselves to protect the Capitol. How far we have fallen!" Indeed. And, yes, it IS storming the Capitol. I have seen numerous videos of people knocking down barricades/fences, pushing police officers, and breaking windows and climbing through them. That is beyond protesting. And even if a protestor did not do those things, if they followed those seditionists past those barricades and into the building, they are just as guilty. I did not support the violent protests this summer that resulted in damages to businesses and public property (I was in full support of the actual protests). But I also acknowledged as a white person, I cannot truly put myself in the position of a black person who is angry a

Melancholy and Gratitude

 A few days ago, I decided to do gratitude posts on FB. I was good the first two days. Day 3 I got a little snarky as I posted about "doing the right thing" in regards to Covid. The Covid cases in Allegheny County have been on the rise. For a while, we had daily counts between 50 and 100. After July 4, we saw a spike for a few weeks, and then cases were back below 100. Unfortunately, other than one "low" day this week, where "only" 288 cases were reported, we have had between 500 and 620 daily cases. Fortunately, only a few people have died this week. But of course, any death is too many. I started to keep track of cases, deaths, and hospitalizations on 6/12/20. On that day, since 3/12, Allegheny County had had 2,034 cases, 352 people had been hospitalized, and 172 people had died. On 11/19/20, the county has seen a total of 22,042 cases, 1,724 people have been hospitalized, and 465 people have died from Covid since 3/12. In just over 8 months, we have had

What, me worry?!

Although I don't like creepy, crawly things, I am not afraid of them and am perfectly able to kill them when I see them. I like the dark, heights don't bother me too much (though I don't love them), and ghosts don't concern me (not sure if they are real, but have not ruled them out either). So what worries me and sometimes keeps me awake at night (or infiltrates me dreams)? This first one is really, really strange, and kind of gross: overflowing toilets. This goes back to a time when I was in high school, and upon flushing the toilet in the "big bathroom" of our house, the water starting pouring over the seat. I freaked out! I can still picture it happening and my subsequent panicking as water flowed onto the floor. I don't recall who was at home who came to my rescue and, presumably, turned the water off. What I do recall is being afraid to flush the toilet when I was home alone after that for weeks if not longer. Fortunately, I have never overflowed a