Skip to main content

From ashes to ashes

One of our neighbors, Fran, passed away on Thursday. A few weeks ago, I ran across the street to ask his wife how he was doing (Fran had cancer). Betty said that hospice had come that day. My limited understanding of that service was that people used it at/near the end of life, so I assumed his time on this earth was ending soon. Still I did not know what I could do to help, so I simply hugged her and said I would pray for them.

Bri and I did not know these people well. I first met Betty when Jordan was just a few days old and my mom was staying with us. I had just gotten out of the shower, and I heard my mom talking to a woman whose voice I did not recognize. I could not imagine why my mother let a stranger into our house. Fortunately, Betty seemed nice, and from that time on, Bri and I waved whenever we saw them. At Halloween, when I would take Jordan trick-or-treating, Betty and Fran always invited us in for a few minutes. And once when our power went out and I did not know how to get the garage door up or down, I called Fran, and he came over to help.

I brought food over on Friday. Brian thought it was silly to do that when we barely knew them, but I wanted to do something, and that seemed to be what people "do." I met Betty's brother and his wife, who, it turned out, knew my grandfather and his first wife. I talked to them for a few minutes and waited until Betty got up. Then I went to the funeral home today to pay my respects. I am thinking I can best help just by going over and visiting her in the coming months and perhaps having her over for dinner; that will probably mean more than anything else I could do. Let's just hope this does not end up another good intention gone unfilled.

In all fairness to me, after I wrote my previous post, I finally penned and mailed every late thank-you, sympathy, and illness card. I guess writing down how thoughtless and lazy I had been, just having it stare me in the face, shamed me into doing what I should have done years ago, in some cases. (I still have to buy the baby and wedding gifts, in full disclosure.)

I can only hope that Fran has found peace and he is where he is supposed to be, which is hopefully in heaven, assuming and hoping there is one, as I do. I also hope that Betty and her family can get through this. I don't think you can ever truly prepare for death, and I am not sure it is something you can "get over," but with basic human kindness, I think we can all get through a lot.

Comments

Mel said…
Sad about your neighbor. We had a similar loss here last fall, but were were a bit closer to them and it hurt more. Never easy. I took food and visited and so did Todd and Marcus, and we hope that it helped. Still check in on the remaining person, a widower now--it's hard but I think his wife who's gone would be pleased. So, yes, do what seems right but mostly just do something. And I'm glad you wrote some of those notes. I have to do them in bunches, too--getting out all the stuff just to write one doesn't seem worth it. But write them down (the ones you owe) and then the list itself will be a reminder/guilt inducer that will move you to act. : )
SweetRice said…
Very touching story! Sometimes the small things can mean the most!

Lori

Popular posts from this blog

Worry

Lately, I have had some anxiety. I have been waking up within an hour of when I fall asleep (partially because my bladder has its own timetable). And then I lie awake, worrying about various things. Mostly I worry that I am failing as a parent. I worry that I allow my child to be disrespectful to me more than she should. I worry that I am not forcing my shy child to do more things. And I worry that the few things I am pushing her to do will make her resent me. I worry that she gets stressed about school. I worry that she is bothered because she does not have a lot of friends. I worry because I don't know why that is.

I worry that we will be stuck in our house in our bad school district, a place where we would not send our child to high school when she graduates in two years (two years!). Then I worry that our somewhat introverted child will have to go to cyber school. Because there is just no way that we could afford to send her to Catholic high school, for which tuition is curren…

Why I am an "Other"

Last month while I was getting my driver's license picture taken, I tried to change my political party affiliation. For whatever reason, my choices were Democrat, Republican, Other, and None. But first, how I got there.

I registered as a Democrat when I first registered to vote, just before the '92 election. At that time, I was "kind of" liberal (for growing up in a somewhat rural area in western PA), and pretty much all of my relatives were registered that way, so it made sense. I was not really into politics at that young age, however.

As I got into my late 20s, I started to realize I was becoming more conservative, so a few years later, when it was time to renew my driver's license, I changed to Republican. I still remember the day at work when I told my coworker Anne that I was really a Republican. She told me she had known it for years. During the 2008 election, I was on board with John McCain running for president, mostly because I thought he was a good pe…

My first and hopefully my last biposy (or I would rather be at the beach)

This past Monday afternoon I had my biopsy. Up until Sunday night, I was not worried. In fact, I was never really concerned about having cancer; it was the needle part that bothered me. As it turns out, there is more than a needle; there is an actual incision. So it was not surprising that I only got a few hours of sleep. But on a positive note, I cruised right down the Parkway that morning, being the Monday before the 4th, so there was that.

I got there at the prescribed 30 minutes ahead of time; in fact, it was probably close to 35 minutes! I had to wait about 10 minutes, during which I could feel my seat vibrate (still not sure about that; I was tired but I don't think I was imaging it). Then I went back, changed, and waited in the "gowned waiting area" for no more than 5 minutes. Not even enough time to find out whose twins Jennifer Garner was pregnant with! WARNING: What follows will be detailed, though not too graphic.

Then I went back to a room, where someone as…