Skip to main content

Television fun

I have to say that the writer's strike has hardly affected me, and I am actually a little disappointed that some of the shows that I watched pre-strike will be back. It has been kind of nice focusing (obsessing might be more accurate) on Lost; that is one of only two prime time shows I make it a point to watch. I thought Lost had a great season last year. This year might not be as good as last year (I kind of miss the surviving on the island aspect and the flashbacks), but there seem to be a lot more surprises and possible answers to seemingly 100s of questions.

Did only six people get off the island?
Why are the Oceanic Six saying that only six survived the plane crash when we have watched dozens of survivors for four seasons now?
What happened to all the other survivors?
Why do some of them want to get back to the island?
Who is in the coffin?
Why is Sayid working for Ben post-rescue?
Who are these "freight people" and why do they want Ben?
How/why does Ben have so much money, passports, etc.?
Is Kate's baby really Claire's Aaron?
If so, how did all that go down?
Did Kate get pregnant on the island?
Who is Jacob?
What is the deal with the time difference and the way the light looks different?
Will all the connections among the characters every be revealed?

Every time I come up with a possible answer to one of these questions, I read or hear someone else's theory. But that is what I love up the show; it makes you think, speculate, discuss. I think the writers are brilliant; they seem to have a reason for all the little things. I am not looking forward to the end of Lost.

But for all the theorizing and reading about Lost I do, there is another show I watch, at the other end of the spectrum. This show involves no thinking, theories, or in-depth discussions. This show has basically become a mindless way for me to end my weekend.

My name is Facie, and I watch Rock of Love 2 with Bret Michaels.

If you have never watched this show, where a couple handfuls of scantily clad woman are trying to end up with Bret, I don't recommend you start watching it. And frankly, most of you are too smart and/or have far better things to do. But one Sunday night, I came upon it, and I have been watching it ever since. Some of it disgusts me; watching sometimes a half dozen women kiss the same guy in one evening is rather vile. But a lot of it is entertaining. The things some of these women will do to try to impress Bret. I was particularly amused by the mud football game. Most guys (and some women) would enjoy that scene for the chance to see women with nice bodies and little clothing covered in mud and trying to play football. I am pretty sure a few of those ditzes cannot even spell football. But watching a few of them dive for the ball, tackle each other, and then end up freezing was humorous. On the first episode, one of the girls got so drunk, she passed out and missed the elimination round (and, not surprisinly, was given the boot). I am also amused by the way some of these women talk about how Bret could be the one, or how they have this connection with him. My favorite line of the show was when this one chick left on her own and said if it was meant to be, then she and Bret would be together. "We live in the same town," she reasoned. Yeah, right.

I know it is difficult to find love. I have seen single friends struggle to meet a decent person. And Lord knows Brian and I are not perfect for each other, but we do our best to make it work. But do these women really think they are going to end up happily ever after by competing with other women for a former rock star's affection, all under the glare of TV? I believe that some of these women really do, and I almost feel sorry for them. But no one forced them to try out for this show. No one told them to parade around in bikinis and vamp it up for the camera. If they are capable of thinking (and the jury is still out on that for some of these women), they had to know that other women would diss them, talk about them behind their backs, etc. And I don't know about you, but I would not want someone I am dating to be dating 12 other people.

Regardless, yes, Rock of Love is utter crap. But sometimes it is nice to see something that is not violent (one of a few other shows I watched is 24; now that is violent), is not about the election, and literally allows my mind to stop working.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a year 2021 has been (Day 7)

I have almost no words for what happened yesterday at the Capitol. Protesting is one thing (though I truly think it is and has been time to move on). But to storm the Capitol? A friend on Facebook said, quite simply, " Almost 20 years ago a group of people on an airplane sacrificed themselves to protect the Capitol. How far we have fallen!" Indeed. And, yes, it IS storming the Capitol. I have seen numerous videos of people knocking down barricades/fences, pushing police officers, and breaking windows and climbing through them. That is beyond protesting. And even if a protestor did not do those things, if they followed those seditionists past those barricades and into the building, they are just as guilty. I did not support the violent protests this summer that resulted in damages to businesses and public property (I was in full support of the actual protests). But I also acknowledged as a white person, I cannot truly put myself in the position of a black person who is angry a

Melancholy and Gratitude

 A few days ago, I decided to do gratitude posts on FB. I was good the first two days. Day 3 I got a little snarky as I posted about "doing the right thing" in regards to Covid. The Covid cases in Allegheny County have been on the rise. For a while, we had daily counts between 50 and 100. After July 4, we saw a spike for a few weeks, and then cases were back below 100. Unfortunately, other than one "low" day this week, where "only" 288 cases were reported, we have had between 500 and 620 daily cases. Fortunately, only a few people have died this week. But of course, any death is too many. I started to keep track of cases, deaths, and hospitalizations on 6/12/20. On that day, since 3/12, Allegheny County had had 2,034 cases, 352 people had been hospitalized, and 172 people had died. On 11/19/20, the county has seen a total of 22,042 cases, 1,724 people have been hospitalized, and 465 people have died from Covid since 3/12. In just over 8 months, we have had

Hug your loved ones!

I hate to say that I am still working through my grief. I mean, in some ways I can imagine I will always be grieving. But I feel pretty confident it will get easier, and I will cry less and less. But, yeah, I guess I am still working through it. Yesterday, a thought occurred to me: I had not hugged my dad since the end of February, and that will now be the last time I ever did. I did not see him for almost three months because of COVID, and then at the end of May, he started his series of hospital visits with skilled nursing stints in between. I was always afraid to hug him then. What if I gave him COVID? And yet when my dad had really bad ICU delirium during a few different hospital stays, I fed him. If I could do that, why not hug him? So I cried a bit last night thinking about that. I am not necessarily a big hugger; I used to hate it, and then probably before Jordan was born, I got back to doing it again. Before COVID, I hugged my friends goodbye (and sometimes hello). I always wou