Skip to main content

Happy Heart Day

It is nearly 7 p.m., and I am getting ready to leave the office; Tuesdays and Thursdays are my late days. Unfortunately I won't be going home to see any of my valentines; instead, I will be going to choir practice, which I have skipped for the last two weeks (due mostly to my not wanting to miss watching Lost live, I admit).

I have never been a fan of Valentine's Day, but I no longer despise it, and actually I don't even mind it anymore. In fact, I have a red sweater on today, so I am downright festive. Fortunately for Brian, I don't believe in exchanging cards or gifts for this Hallmark holiday, so I guess we both have it pretty good!

I hope that all of you reading this were able to spend some time with someone you love. Or something you love (nothing wrong with loving a dog, a tub of ice cream, TV, or something like that on this day). I will head to choir thinking of my Brian and Jordan and even Sadie, as well as family and friends, and being grateful I have them in my life. But today I am especially thankful for my little valentine Jordan, who wrote the following on a paper heart at school:

I love when Mommy plays with me.

It almost made me cry, which is sort of how I felt after not leaving the house for two days because of all the snow. But reading that made it all worthwhile.



Popular posts from this blog


Lately, I have had some anxiety. I have been waking up within an hour of when I fall asleep (partially because my bladder has its own timetable). And then I lie awake, worrying about various things. Mostly I worry that I am failing as a parent. I worry that I allow my child to be disrespectful to me more than she should. I worry that I am not forcing my shy child to do more things. And I worry that the few things I am pushing her to do will make her resent me. I worry that she gets stressed about school. I worry that she is bothered because she does not have a lot of friends. I worry because I don't know why that is.

I worry that we will be stuck in our house in our bad school district, a place where we would not send our child to high school when she graduates in two years (two years!). Then I worry that our somewhat introverted child will have to go to cyber school. Because there is just no way that we could afford to send her to Catholic high school, for which tuition is curren…

Why I am an "Other"

Last month while I was getting my driver's license picture taken, I tried to change my political party affiliation. For whatever reason, my choices were Democrat, Republican, Other, and None. But first, how I got there.

I registered as a Democrat when I first registered to vote, just before the '92 election. At that time, I was "kind of" liberal (for growing up in a somewhat rural area in western PA), and pretty much all of my relatives were registered that way, so it made sense. I was not really into politics at that young age, however.

As I got into my late 20s, I started to realize I was becoming more conservative, so a few years later, when it was time to renew my driver's license, I changed to Republican. I still remember the day at work when I told my coworker Anne that I was really a Republican. She told me she had known it for years. During the 2008 election, I was on board with John McCain running for president, mostly because I thought he was a good pe…

My first and hopefully my last biposy (or I would rather be at the beach)

This past Monday afternoon I had my biopsy. Up until Sunday night, I was not worried. In fact, I was never really concerned about having cancer; it was the needle part that bothered me. As it turns out, there is more than a needle; there is an actual incision. So it was not surprising that I only got a few hours of sleep. But on a positive note, I cruised right down the Parkway that morning, being the Monday before the 4th, so there was that.

I got there at the prescribed 30 minutes ahead of time; in fact, it was probably close to 35 minutes! I had to wait about 10 minutes, during which I could feel my seat vibrate (still not sure about that; I was tired but I don't think I was imaging it). Then I went back, changed, and waited in the "gowned waiting area" for no more than 5 minutes. Not even enough time to find out whose twins Jennifer Garner was pregnant with! WARNING: What follows will be detailed, though not too graphic.

Then I went back to a room, where someone as…