Skip to main content

This part of winter I had forgotten about.

I am convinced I have one of the shortest memories. Before I accepted my current job, just before Easter last year, I thought (and by thought, I really mean fretted) about summer child care, which was something I had not had to think about ever. J started out at an at-home daycare when she was about four months old and she continued going there until she went to kindergarten. I was out of work a few months before kindergarten ended, so summer care was not an issue.

But this spring, we worried and searched and ended up finding a place for J to go to this past summer with with we were mostly happy. And then school started back up again, where J also attends after-school care five days a week. So I thought we were all set. Yes, there are days off here and there throughout the school year, but between my job's nice holiday time off and a friend and a few relatives, we work it out. It helps that we know about those days at the beginning of the year.

But this week, we had something we had not had since 2011: snow days and two-hour delays! I totally forgot about those events.

Monday we got a call at about 6 a.m. for the delay. I did not completely understand why we were having it, considering the temps were dropping every hour, so why not get the kids in school while it was not as cold. Regardless, I was able to do a little work from home and then head in late, so no huge deal. Plus I had the most awesomely scary balaclava, so at least I was decently warm during my wait for the bus:

I knew about Tuesday's snow day, which was really a "Hell froze over" day, by mid-afternoon Monday. The hubby and I worked it out so I could work a little from home in the morning and then head to work in the afternoon, when he would take off. A perk about my job is that you are able to take sick time when your child is sick or if his/her school is delayed or closed, so that alleviates some stress. But because I am pretty busy this week, I did work some at home. 

Then yesterday, just before I left work, I got a call about another two-hour delay. I was a little irritated, but fortunately the hubby did not schedule anything for the morning. So he could take J in late, and I could get to work on time. But then at almost 9:30 last night, we get a call that school is now canceled. What? Why?!

Two days into the work week, I had already missed about three or four hours at a busy time. Now what were we supposed to do?! If the kid went to school in the neighborhood, I could have probably asked a mother to watch J, at least for the afternoon. But, alas, she does not (the neighborhood schools were only on a two-hour delay anyway). And, as unfortunate, we are not really good enough friends with anyone at her school to ask someone to watch J. Sure a mom or two has told me, "If you ever need help" but that was months ago; it just feels weird on short notice, particularly now that I no longer "live" at the school and see these people. Our neighbor, who is a spry senior citizen, is taking care of her friend. The hub's mom is caring for her ailing mom. And my mom is in Texas.

Considering we have just begun the second week in January, we need to come up with a plan quickly. Today, I once again, worked from home, but I am not getting in a full day. I can't keep doing that. Plus, I would think people would start to resent me. You never know.

What do parents do in these situations?!

In any event, as I declared in an email today: From here on out, there will be no more days with below-0-degree wind chills, and all snow can cover the grass as much as it wants, but all roads must  be clear.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Worry

Lately, I have had some anxiety. I have been waking up within an hour of when I fall asleep (partially because my bladder has its own timetable). And then I lie awake, worrying about various things. Mostly I worry that I am failing as a parent. I worry that I allow my child to be disrespectful to me more than she should. I worry that I am not forcing my shy child to do more things. And I worry that the few things I am pushing her to do will make her resent me. I worry that she gets stressed about school. I worry that she is bothered because she does not have a lot of friends. I worry because I don't know why that is.

I worry that we will be stuck in our house in our bad school district, a place where we would not send our child to high school when she graduates in two years (two years!). Then I worry that our somewhat introverted child will have to go to cyber school. Because there is just no way that we could afford to send her to Catholic high school, for which tuition is curren…

Why I am an "Other"

Last month while I was getting my driver's license picture taken, I tried to change my political party affiliation. For whatever reason, my choices were Democrat, Republican, Other, and None. But first, how I got there.

I registered as a Democrat when I first registered to vote, just before the '92 election. At that time, I was "kind of" liberal (for growing up in a somewhat rural area in western PA), and pretty much all of my relatives were registered that way, so it made sense. I was not really into politics at that young age, however.

As I got into my late 20s, I started to realize I was becoming more conservative, so a few years later, when it was time to renew my driver's license, I changed to Republican. I still remember the day at work when I told my coworker Anne that I was really a Republican. She told me she had known it for years. During the 2008 election, I was on board with John McCain running for president, mostly because I thought he was a good pe…

My first and hopefully my last biposy (or I would rather be at the beach)

This past Monday afternoon I had my biopsy. Up until Sunday night, I was not worried. In fact, I was never really concerned about having cancer; it was the needle part that bothered me. As it turns out, there is more than a needle; there is an actual incision. So it was not surprising that I only got a few hours of sleep. But on a positive note, I cruised right down the Parkway that morning, being the Monday before the 4th, so there was that.

I got there at the prescribed 30 minutes ahead of time; in fact, it was probably close to 35 minutes! I had to wait about 10 minutes, during which I could feel my seat vibrate (still not sure about that; I was tired but I don't think I was imaging it). Then I went back, changed, and waited in the "gowned waiting area" for no more than 5 minutes. Not even enough time to find out whose twins Jennifer Garner was pregnant with! WARNING: What follows will be detailed, though not too graphic.

Then I went back to a room, where someone as…