Skip to main content

Water and sun

I thought I would post some pics from a quick trip to Erie I took with the kid and my mom in August. I can never take or have enough pictures of the water and the sun.
This is the kid in the water.
The water was really cold, which I thought it might not be as bad since it was just past mid August. But that did not stop the kid from swimming. Me? I made it to thigh deep water and chickened out.

This is a shot of Lake Erie from Presque Isle.
 

The sunset near the Bicentennial Tower
Just after the sun was setting near the Bicentennial Tower
My mom and kid in front of the Bicentennial Tower
One of the coolest thing about the Bicentennial Tower was there were hundreds, maybe even thousands, of bricks engraved with people's names, scattered along the walkway that you see in the photo above as well as in and around the Tower building. After we came back down from the top of the tower, we got ice cream. And I was sitting there eating, I happened to notice a brick with the names of a family whose kids go to my kid's school. Small world, I say.


A couple of pics from the top of the Bicentennial Tower


I really enjoyed our time at the Thomas Ridge Environmental Center (TREC).



Thomas Ridge Environmental Center

The kid and I trekked up the many flights of stairs to see the view from the top of the tower.


This is the view from the top of the tower.

You can make out the roller coaster in the pics above. J and I went on that coaster, when the three of us made a brief stop at Waldameer Park. I can tell you that that coaster was the scariest one I have been on in my adult life. We were up so high and going so fast. I was practically freaking out as we soared over Lake Erie.


Some shots of the inside of the TREC
There was a lot of informational and education displays at the TREC. Well worth the hour or so we spent there. Wish we had had more time.

Picture of map of Presque Isle

All in all, the three of us had a great time. It was a short trip; we were there less than 48 hours, but it was nice escape. I look forward to next summer, when I will actually have more than a couple of vacation days earned (knock on wood that I don't need to take them for anything before then) so we can take a much-needed and deserved family vacation.

Comments

bluzdude said…
Sunset shots on the water are just the best, aren't they?
Lovely! The pink sunset one is insane. And I imagine you didn't even Photoshop these to bring out the colors, which makes them insaner.
Facie said…
Yes, yes, they are, Bluz.

Katie, those pics were right from the iPhone 4. Of course I can't get a decent pic in the dark, but daylight and apparently sunsets work well. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Worry

Lately, I have had some anxiety. I have been waking up within an hour of when I fall asleep (partially because my bladder has its own timetable). And then I lie awake, worrying about various things. Mostly I worry that I am failing as a parent. I worry that I allow my child to be disrespectful to me more than she should. I worry that I am not forcing my shy child to do more things. And I worry that the few things I am pushing her to do will make her resent me. I worry that she gets stressed about school. I worry that she is bothered because she does not have a lot of friends. I worry because I don't know why that is.

I worry that we will be stuck in our house in our bad school district, a place where we would not send our child to high school when she graduates in two years (two years!). Then I worry that our somewhat introverted child will have to go to cyber school. Because there is just no way that we could afford to send her to Catholic high school, for which tuition is curren…

Why I am an "Other"

Last month while I was getting my driver's license picture taken, I tried to change my political party affiliation. For whatever reason, my choices were Democrat, Republican, Other, and None. But first, how I got there.

I registered as a Democrat when I first registered to vote, just before the '92 election. At that time, I was "kind of" liberal (for growing up in a somewhat rural area in western PA), and pretty much all of my relatives were registered that way, so it made sense. I was not really into politics at that young age, however.

As I got into my late 20s, I started to realize I was becoming more conservative, so a few years later, when it was time to renew my driver's license, I changed to Republican. I still remember the day at work when I told my coworker Anne that I was really a Republican. She told me she had known it for years. During the 2008 election, I was on board with John McCain running for president, mostly because I thought he was a good pe…

My first and hopefully my last biposy (or I would rather be at the beach)

This past Monday afternoon I had my biopsy. Up until Sunday night, I was not worried. In fact, I was never really concerned about having cancer; it was the needle part that bothered me. As it turns out, there is more than a needle; there is an actual incision. So it was not surprising that I only got a few hours of sleep. But on a positive note, I cruised right down the Parkway that morning, being the Monday before the 4th, so there was that.

I got there at the prescribed 30 minutes ahead of time; in fact, it was probably close to 35 minutes! I had to wait about 10 minutes, during which I could feel my seat vibrate (still not sure about that; I was tired but I don't think I was imaging it). Then I went back, changed, and waited in the "gowned waiting area" for no more than 5 minutes. Not even enough time to find out whose twins Jennifer Garner was pregnant with! WARNING: What follows will be detailed, though not too graphic.

Then I went back to a room, where someone as…