This and that (including a bus story)
I just cannot seem to come up with a coherent blog post. It is just easier to post pictures, tell a story, or do a bulleted list. Here goes my bulleted list (and why is it that blogger thinks that "bulleted" is not a word?)
- Last week when I got on the bus, I sat down next to a guy. Said guy had a can of something between his legs. My first guess was beer, particularly since he reeked of alcohol, but then I decided it could have been one of those canned energy drinks. When he turned towards the window (and away from me) to take a sip, that was a pretty good indication he was drinking a brew. Upon further review, I confirmed it. Miller Ice, I believe. As my bus driver friend said, "As long as the bus driver is not drinking, you are golden."
- After my third trip to my mechanic in five months, I told him that, no offense, I hoped that I would not see him until January 2015, when my next inspection is due. I don't even want to add up what I spent on the car in 2013, which also includes my inspection repairs in January 2013. Pretty sure it all adds up to a year's worth of (low) car payments. You read it here first: I will never buy another GM (I have a 2007 Saturn Vue).
- I sang in my church choir's cabaret night a week and a half ago. For about a minute, I was back in high school, when all the world was my stage. It felt pretty good, and reminded me of how much I missed it. For most of the song, I really feel as if I knocked it out of the park. I was pitchy in a few places, but I am trying not to let that diminish what I did. Next year I plan to tap dance. I am serious. And, if you stop by again, I am actually going to put the video up.
- I found out one of my (young) coworkers has the same birthday as me. I asked her what year she was born. She replied, "1989." Which means when she was born, I was a freshman at college. Sigh.
- My kid does not like school. And that is putting it nicely. I have no idea what to do about this; she loved it the first five years (K at a different school and 1-4 in this school). I think a big part of it is homework. Most nights, the kid has 1-1.5 hours of HW. Some nights, it is 2 hours. This past weekend was the first one in over 2.5 months of school that she had no HW. That is right; she gets HW every single weekend. Sigh.
- But I went with my kid's class on their field trip to RiverQuest. I had a great time. The kids got to launch things in the water, retrieve them, and then study organisms from the water under microscopes and macroscopes. Well worth the day I took off. And best of all, when one of the educators on the boat asked the students what their teacher's name was (meaning their science teacher), they replied, "Ms. (my last name)." They still think of me as their/a teacher!
- Still quite sure the Steelers will not make the playoffs and will probably have a losing season. But maybe, just maybe, they can end up at .500. Stranger things have happened. Just glad I made it to a game this year (and a winning one at that). Unfortunately, I don't think the Pens are Cup bound this year, but I feel just as sure that they will be in the playoffs.