Skip to main content

I'm back, or so I think

I have missed this blog, if only a bit. There have been at least a half dozen times that I wanted to write a post. Mostly they were rants, including some customer service issues, and a few were about life events. But when you are away from blogging for only a few weeks, how many things could you have missed about me? Not too many!

  • I had my kid's birthday party at the Animal Rescue League's Wildlife Center. I like a party where you can give back, which is what we did. The girls made cat toys and bird feeders, and I made a monetary donation as well as bought a bunch of needed supplies. Everyone seemed to have a great time (one mom told me the next week that her daughter said that was the best birthday party she had ever been to). And considering this was Jordan's first friend party and probably her last for quite some time, I am glad it went well, my over-planning and running out of time notwithstanding.
  • As you might have guessed, my kid had a birthday. She is nine. How can that be? Just yesterday, or so it seems, I was having contractions 12 days before my due date and was determined to work late to finish up an assignment just in case. Well, just in case was born the next day. My baby brings me so much joy and love (and frustration!).
  • We went to the aviary two weeks ago. We had not been there in several years, and it is quite different. My favorite is the penguins exhibit, particularly the tunnels that allow you to watch the penguins swim under water. I also like feeding the lories, and this year a bird ate a worm out of my hand.
  • My kid started fourth grade today. New school (merged with others), new people, but I am hopeful for a good year. I do my first lunch duty tomorrow. May the Lord be with me!
  • I enjoyed the Olympics this year, and was sad to see them over. But I get over things pretty quickly.
  • Did you watch Dallas 2012 on TNT this summer? Well, you should have. It was a great (not perfect) show. Every Monday I would be excited, thinking that Wednesday was only two days away. The only reason I am not looking forward to its return is because it comes in January, one of my least favorite months.
  • I was really hoping not to get back to this blog before the election, but I was pretty sure that was not going to happen. I don't have much to say about it other than the political ads seemed to have lessened over the past few weeks, and for that I am grateful.
  • I am mad at my favorite retail store, Kohl's, for not once, but twice, sending me the wrong size for a sweater. More on that later. Maybe.
Well, that sums up things pretty well. Hopefully I will write a more focused post in the next week. And hopefully now that I am back to blogging, the Pirates will get back on track. C'mon wild card!

Comments

Burgh Baby said…
I missed seeing you here. Glad the birthday party was a success!
LaLa said…
Welcome back Facie!!! We missed you and your rants and ramblings. :)
Lynnette said…
I missed you and reading about what's going on in your head. I'm glad you're back!
Facie said…
Aw, thanks, ladies. It is nice to be missed.

And, BB, I never even had time to do all those great activities you and others BB friends suggested. The girls never even finished the crafts. But dang if my treat bags were not cute (and if only I had taken a picture).

:-)
bluzdude said…
See, that’s when you know you have to blog… even when you give it up for a while, the ideas keep shooting out.

Glad to have you back!

Popular posts from this blog

Why do they stand up there and say that when they are just lying?

That extra-long title is courtesy of my nine-year-old and was something she uttered during "Say Yes to the Dress" on Friday evening. I watch very little reality TV, but I make an exception for this show because I like to look at the dresses. And sometimes, the stories are heart-warming. Typically at the end of the show, a snippet of a wedding is aired. In this particular show, a woman who was confined to a wheelchair was exchanging vows with her fiance. After the two of them finished, J made her comment. I asked her what she meant as I must have been on the computer while the TV was on, and she explained that because so many people just get divorced, why do they even say "as long as we both shall live"? That is tough one, kid. I tried with what I thought was a sound explanation: Most of the people who get married truly believe they will be together the rest of their lives, but sometimes it just doesn't work out. But if you don't think that you will be ...

TMI

When I refer to TMI, I am not talking about people sharing (often gross) things they probably should not. But rather sharing a friend's or a relative's personal information with a spouse or significant other. I know people who have cheated on their spouses, had abortions, have been raped or victims of domestic violence, committed (minor) criminal acts, did not disclose things to the government that they should have, suffered from various mental aliments, and who have been drug addicts or alcoholics. In most cases, I have not shared that information with Brian unless the person told me I could or I felt he needed to know for family safety issues (e.g., you have to consider who you let your children around). I am certain he would think less of some of these people if he knew things they did, so what purpose does it serve telling him? But more importantly, I want these people who confide in me to know they have my word. I can honestly say I don't think I can trust any of ...

Do you ever just want to run away...

Yesterday's post was a rant about a fairly pointless two-hour delay. For the record, if it is snowing in the morning or if it has snowed throughout the night, I am not against a delay; the road crews have a lot of ground to cover. It is unfortunate for those who still need to get to work and are left scrambling to find child care or have to go in late. But I am all about safety. It is the temps that are clearly going nowhere any time soon that do not warrant a delay, again, in my opinion. It will be cold all day today. Having another delay today, once again, seemed pointless, but I am over it. ***** I had a rough weekend, and I have debated whether I should write about it. As my mom and one of my brothers are so fond of saying (though I will be paraphrasing), "Once you put it down in writing (on paper or in an email), it will always be there. You can't take it back." For that reason, when things weigh heavily on my mind, I don't always share them in this blog....