Skip to main content

I'm back, or so I think

I have missed this blog, if only a bit. There have been at least a half dozen times that I wanted to write a post. Mostly they were rants, including some customer service issues, and a few were about life events. But when you are away from blogging for only a few weeks, how many things could you have missed about me? Not too many!

  • I had my kid's birthday party at the Animal Rescue League's Wildlife Center. I like a party where you can give back, which is what we did. The girls made cat toys and bird feeders, and I made a monetary donation as well as bought a bunch of needed supplies. Everyone seemed to have a great time (one mom told me the next week that her daughter said that was the best birthday party she had ever been to). And considering this was Jordan's first friend party and probably her last for quite some time, I am glad it went well, my over-planning and running out of time notwithstanding.
  • As you might have guessed, my kid had a birthday. She is nine. How can that be? Just yesterday, or so it seems, I was having contractions 12 days before my due date and was determined to work late to finish up an assignment just in case. Well, just in case was born the next day. My baby brings me so much joy and love (and frustration!).
  • We went to the aviary two weeks ago. We had not been there in several years, and it is quite different. My favorite is the penguins exhibit, particularly the tunnels that allow you to watch the penguins swim under water. I also like feeding the lories, and this year a bird ate a worm out of my hand.
  • My kid started fourth grade today. New school (merged with others), new people, but I am hopeful for a good year. I do my first lunch duty tomorrow. May the Lord be with me!
  • I enjoyed the Olympics this year, and was sad to see them over. But I get over things pretty quickly.
  • Did you watch Dallas 2012 on TNT this summer? Well, you should have. It was a great (not perfect) show. Every Monday I would be excited, thinking that Wednesday was only two days away. The only reason I am not looking forward to its return is because it comes in January, one of my least favorite months.
  • I was really hoping not to get back to this blog before the election, but I was pretty sure that was not going to happen. I don't have much to say about it other than the political ads seemed to have lessened over the past few weeks, and for that I am grateful.
  • I am mad at my favorite retail store, Kohl's, for not once, but twice, sending me the wrong size for a sweater. More on that later. Maybe.
Well, that sums up things pretty well. Hopefully I will write a more focused post in the next week. And hopefully now that I am back to blogging, the Pirates will get back on track. C'mon wild card!

Comments

Burgh Baby said…
I missed seeing you here. Glad the birthday party was a success!
LaLa said…
Welcome back Facie!!! We missed you and your rants and ramblings. :)
Lynnette said…
I missed you and reading about what's going on in your head. I'm glad you're back!
Facie said…
Aw, thanks, ladies. It is nice to be missed.

And, BB, I never even had time to do all those great activities you and others BB friends suggested. The girls never even finished the crafts. But dang if my treat bags were not cute (and if only I had taken a picture).

:-)
bluzdude said…
See, that’s when you know you have to blog… even when you give it up for a while, the ideas keep shooting out.

Glad to have you back!

Popular posts from this blog

Worry

Lately, I have had some anxiety. I have been waking up within an hour of when I fall asleep (partially because my bladder has its own timetable). And then I lie awake, worrying about various things. Mostly I worry that I am failing as a parent. I worry that I allow my child to be disrespectful to me more than she should. I worry that I am not forcing my shy child to do more things. And I worry that the few things I am pushing her to do will make her resent me. I worry that she gets stressed about school. I worry that she is bothered because she does not have a lot of friends. I worry because I don't know why that is.

I worry that we will be stuck in our house in our bad school district, a place where we would not send our child to high school when she graduates in two years (two years!). Then I worry that our somewhat introverted child will have to go to cyber school. Because there is just no way that we could afford to send her to Catholic high school, for which tuition is curren…

Why I am an "Other"

Last month while I was getting my driver's license picture taken, I tried to change my political party affiliation. For whatever reason, my choices were Democrat, Republican, Other, and None. But first, how I got there.

I registered as a Democrat when I first registered to vote, just before the '92 election. At that time, I was "kind of" liberal (for growing up in a somewhat rural area in western PA), and pretty much all of my relatives were registered that way, so it made sense. I was not really into politics at that young age, however.

As I got into my late 20s, I started to realize I was becoming more conservative, so a few years later, when it was time to renew my driver's license, I changed to Republican. I still remember the day at work when I told my coworker Anne that I was really a Republican. She told me she had known it for years. During the 2008 election, I was on board with John McCain running for president, mostly because I thought he was a good pe…

My first and hopefully my last biposy (or I would rather be at the beach)

This past Monday afternoon I had my biopsy. Up until Sunday night, I was not worried. In fact, I was never really concerned about having cancer; it was the needle part that bothered me. As it turns out, there is more than a needle; there is an actual incision. So it was not surprising that I only got a few hours of sleep. But on a positive note, I cruised right down the Parkway that morning, being the Monday before the 4th, so there was that.

I got there at the prescribed 30 minutes ahead of time; in fact, it was probably close to 35 minutes! I had to wait about 10 minutes, during which I could feel my seat vibrate (still not sure about that; I was tired but I don't think I was imaging it). Then I went back, changed, and waited in the "gowned waiting area" for no more than 5 minutes. Not even enough time to find out whose twins Jennifer Garner was pregnant with! WARNING: What follows will be detailed, though not too graphic.

Then I went back to a room, where someone as…