Skip to main content

I am a wimp. A big one.

Before I launch into this post, telling you how I can hardly handle pain stronger than a toe stubbing (and sometimes that is too much), let me first say that I birthed my only child without the use of any drugs. Nada. Nothing. Zilch. Everyone who knew me well was shocked I was able to do that. But do it I did. Not because I wanted to experience "natural" childbirth. No, intense contractions and the actual pushing don't seem all that natural to me. They definitely weren't beautiful, amazing, or however some crazy moms describe them. The real reason I birthed my kid without drugs? I did not want a needle in my spine.

I hate needles.

I used to donate blood regularly, with my sought-after O positive blood and all. But eventually I got to the point where the needle bothered me too much, both when it went in and how it felt the entire time (it burned). Couple that with my being a slow bleeder and throw in my passing out about 35 percent of the time, and I had some pretty good reasons to stop saving lives.

Did I mention how much I hate needles? I was reminded of that this evening. As I was opening our front door to get the mail, I felt something jab my foot. I looked down and saw a rusty screw in the doorway. I immediately took my sock off and noticed an indention in my foot, but fortunately no blood. Since my last tetanus shot was in 1989, I was a little panicked. Brian told me I was fine since I was not bleeding. I texted a few nurse friends who all said the same thing. But I still feel a little uneasy because my foot still hurts a bit. And there is that indentation...

In case you were wondering, I had plans to get a tetanus shot in 2002 (which, yeah, I know is past the 10-year mark). Unfortunately, I had just had blood drawn, and I ended up passing out. After that, I decided the shot could wait. And wait it still has.

Why? Because my name is Facie and I am a wimp. A wimp who may have birthed a child sans drugs, but a wimp who also cried when I had a sonogram because the tech was pushing on my stomach too hard (yes, I am serious). But mostly I am just a 40-year-old wimp who is afraid of needles. I won't even get into what happened when J had to get shots when she was four or five, but suffice it to say that Brian will be there when she gets her next set.

Regardless, here's hoping my skin never again becomes acquainted with anything rusty.

Comments

LaLa said…
You had a baby without an epidural? You rock!! I think most of us can understand the needle fear. But girl get that tetanus shot!
Facie said…
Sadly, LaLa, I think my tolerance for pain and fear of needles have intensified over the years. The thought of donating blood kind of my stomach, and I have probably done it about 20 times in my life (the last time probably was over 10 years ago). I joke about my being overdue for a tetanus short, but I am pretty sure I will cry when I have it done, so I keep putting off.

But thanks for saying I rock. I do kind of think I do for doing that. :-)
bluzdude said…
I used to have to get allergy shots when I was a kid, and I used to scream bloody murder about it. My mom cured me of it though... through bribery.

I had recently lost a little rubber change purse thingy and I was very distraught over it. Mom told me if I got my shot without crying, she's get me a new one.

So that afternoon, this boy became a man... with a change purse.
Facie said…
Maybe I can get my mom to bribe me with something. I am here at her house, so I think I will go ask her. Your last line made me laugh out loud. Thanks for that! :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Why do they stand up there and say that when they are just lying?

That extra-long title is courtesy of my nine-year-old and was something she uttered during "Say Yes to the Dress" on Friday evening. I watch very little reality TV, but I make an exception for this show because I like to look at the dresses. And sometimes, the stories are heart-warming. Typically at the end of the show, a snippet of a wedding is aired. In this particular show, a woman who was confined to a wheelchair was exchanging vows with her fiance. After the two of them finished, J made her comment. I asked her what she meant as I must have been on the computer while the TV was on, and she explained that because so many people just get divorced, why do they even say "as long as we both shall live"? That is tough one, kid. I tried with what I thought was a sound explanation: Most of the people who get married truly believe they will be together the rest of their lives, but sometimes it just doesn't work out. But if you don't think that you will be ...

TMI

When I refer to TMI, I am not talking about people sharing (often gross) things they probably should not. But rather sharing a friend's or a relative's personal information with a spouse or significant other. I know people who have cheated on their spouses, had abortions, have been raped or victims of domestic violence, committed (minor) criminal acts, did not disclose things to the government that they should have, suffered from various mental aliments, and who have been drug addicts or alcoholics. In most cases, I have not shared that information with Brian unless the person told me I could or I felt he needed to know for family safety issues (e.g., you have to consider who you let your children around). I am certain he would think less of some of these people if he knew things they did, so what purpose does it serve telling him? But more importantly, I want these people who confide in me to know they have my word. I can honestly say I don't think I can trust any of ...

Do you ever just want to run away...

Yesterday's post was a rant about a fairly pointless two-hour delay. For the record, if it is snowing in the morning or if it has snowed throughout the night, I am not against a delay; the road crews have a lot of ground to cover. It is unfortunate for those who still need to get to work and are left scrambling to find child care or have to go in late. But I am all about safety. It is the temps that are clearly going nowhere any time soon that do not warrant a delay, again, in my opinion. It will be cold all day today. Having another delay today, once again, seemed pointless, but I am over it. ***** I had a rough weekend, and I have debated whether I should write about it. As my mom and one of my brothers are so fond of saying (though I will be paraphrasing), "Once you put it down in writing (on paper or in an email), it will always be there. You can't take it back." For that reason, when things weigh heavily on my mind, I don't always share them in this blog....